Animal welfare in Tunisia

skele

I would like to open a discussion about animal welfare in Tunisia, as there isn't any obviously. I have seen a lot of evidence of dog fighting, animals kept in horrible conditions and a lot of the horse and carriage rides used by tourists are driven by horses with their hip bones and ribs sticking out. I've seen a lot of mistreatment of animals here and most people, not all obviously, don't seem to care. I know Mohammed was nice to animals and don't tell me poverty because that's no excuse. Any thoughts?!!

Lauren&Ahmed

I refuse to use those horse and carriage things because most of the horses look emaciated!! I don't know about dog fights but there are a lot of stray ones around!!

sianperkins89

There are so many stray cats and dogs around it's unreal and dangerous too. I asked Houssem the other day why there are never any pet food adverts on tv there like we have here and he said people don't really care that much and they don't really have pet food in shops, most animals get scraps...and he said that Britain was well-known for being an animal lover's country...I don't think that we are great animal lovers, just take care of them and have laws against animal violence... I see more stray dogs in tunisia than i do people taking pet dogs on a walk. And the amount of donkeys and horses in fields that look so poor and old makes me really sad! but then again it depends where you go, of course there are animal lovers there in tunisia but i think for the most part animals are not protected or appreciated as much as they are in britain.... but i think cats have it best as many people will take them in as pets, especially in hotels they are well treated and loved (atleast by me! lol)

skele

I've rescued three kittens in the last two weeks and kept one of them. The tourists who use the horse and carriage rides are as much to blame as the people running them. I don't see that many dogs but cats are everywhere. I've seen guinea pigs in a cage they could hardly move in, standing on (and eating) their dead babies. Baby birds thrown in the bin or over a wall, whilst still alive. And the underfed work horses who would serve a lot better and last a lot longer if they were fed. You can buy pet food but everyone thinks you're nuts when you do. (doesn't stop me of course!)

Lauren&Ahmed

I adopt a cat wherever I seem to go in Tunisia LOL :p Ahmed is always rolling his eyes at me...I can't help it, I'm a cat person haha.

I think we are an animal loving country, even tho you get the few ppl who are just insanely cruel but for the most part we protect our animals and every household (nearly) has some kind of pet!!

ROULLA

There are so many stray cats and dogs around it's unreal and dangerous too. I asked Houssem the other day why there are never any pet food adverts on tv there like we have here and he said people don't really care that much and they don't really have pet food in shops,quote]

Hi Sian and everyone hope that you are all in good health! I must admit that there do seem to be an awful lot of cats about but there are veterinarian's about, animal hospitals as i have been to a few as my son is such a cat lover.
Last year i took him to a pets home that was well maintained and he bought two baby kittens , cats cage , injections and food cost me a total of 150 TD but that made him happy so that made us happy.
I have also seen trucks that go around knocking on peoples doors asking them if they have any animals so that they can give them an injection and that is free of charge, plus they give you a certificate to prove that the cat is your and that the cat has been injected..
The people that worked in the pets homes were very caring towards the animals , in fact one lady in particular was talking to the animals like they were babies..
As for cat and dog food they sell this in Monoprix, i know this as i was in there every other day buying cat salami for them at 2.500 each time i went in there..

Janan

Banned
The sitution in Tunisia reming me old times when I visited my gradmom on countryside and groups of dogs were walking in streets of small town.They looked dangerous but if person wawed the hand as for throwing stone (but not throwing any) the dogs ran away.

I have seen people behaving to dogs and cats normally, not badly, of course they donot have food enough so animals are usually skiny.

Actually I was thinking to take cat from Tunisia, as I like their `image`, but I do not know if such cat used to live in hotel or streets would be happy in apartment.

Lauren&Ahmed

That's nice to know Roulla!! :D

skele

That is good to know, but how accessable are they? I don't think many people know about them or would be able to afford to use them. People laugh at me here for being concerned about animals, that's fine but what can be done about animal cruelty? There would have to be some sort of legislation and no one seems interested.

sianperkins89

Actually I was thinking to take cat from Tunisia, as I like their `image`, but I do not know if such cat used to live in hotel or streets would be happy in apartment.

Janan i wanted to do the same! there is this one tiny cat in saadia hotel, skanes and he is soo cute and friendly he comes and sits on your lap when you call him and sleeps there for hours! he's so sweet, i wanted to steal him and take him to my fiancés home but he said it would be cruel to take him away from his home and other cat buddies! but i just think that he didn't want to look after him. :(

skele

I think any of the cats would be more than happy to be taken in and fed regularly! My husband's family had already adopted two before I adopted the little one, so now there are three of varying stages of development! The little one was too young to leave his mother really, he had fleas and a tic in his face and diarrhea. He's had a lot of showers which he wasn't too happy about but now he's doing really well. Every now and again someone here puts out poisoned food for the cats, last time it happened my husband saw them all staggering around and took them home and tried to save them. A couple of them were pregnant. A few died but he managed to save a couple including one of his own.

Jasmine

Janan i wanted to do the same! there is this one tiny cat in saadia hotel, skanes and he is soo cute and friendly he comes and sits on your lap when you call him and sleeps there for hours! he's so sweet, i wanted to steal him and take him to my fiancés home but he said it would be cruel to take him away from his home and other cat buddies! but i just think that he didn't want to look after him. :(

Sian...

Was it a little black one? :) I have a photo of my 7 year old daughter cuddling that cat in the Saadia, like its a baby! :D

Janan

Banned
skele, you might be right that the cat could be happy with good food and with good comapny of people at home.
I have to think about it as my friend has 3 cats at home,and one of them is in stress - is loosing the hair.

Stew4x4

Cruelty is Legendary in Muslim countries!!!! after all animals throats are slit and the terror and pain they suffer during this process is horrific, all in the name religion. Cant be right, surely?

Janan

Banned
Cruelty is Legendary in Muslim countries!!!! after all animals throats are slit and the terror and pain they suffer during this process is horrific, all in the name religion. Cant be right, surely?

so what is the best way to kill animal?

Janan

Banned
Stew, I wait for answer. I have seen you have read this post, and if you put something like you did on forum, you should be able to answer. If no I think your post is trolly.
Thank you

gem15

We have rescued 10 cats here in tunisia. It is sad to see stray cats and dogs but its the circle of life. Occasionally I hear the police going around shooting the stray dogs cuz they carry diseases. What I cannot understand and find most upsetting is when Isee a dog that has had his ears cut. WHY??? It's just for cosmetic reasons and absolutly no reason for it. No animal lover would have that done.

I also have 3 horse here and they are kept at Ranch Mabrouk and they are very very well looked after. Not one bone to be seen. What theses people need is education on how to look after the animals they have that earns their living.

sparkle

I wont use the horses either, they are very badly scared some of them.

skele

That is the problem that there is no legislation in place and no education about the treatment of animals.
As for the slaughter of animals for food, the way muslims slaughter them is no better or worse than the way it is done in the west. It is very rare to find this done properly anywhere in the world. The proper Halal way of killing the animals is supposed to be as painless as possible with a very sharp knife but sadly from what I have seen this is often not the case.
Most people have no idea where their meat comes from and most don't want to know because they don't want to be put off eating it.
If more tourists refused to use the horse and carriage rides and told them why, they would have to do something about it.

sianperkins89

Sian...

Was it a little black one? :) I have a photo of my 7 year old daughter cuddling that cat in the Saadia, like its a baby! :D

yess a little black one with yellow eyes and soft fur. i named him stinky winky haha