Applying for ILR next week!

annie

Congratulations Loulou xx

kassie

Hello :) Longggggggggg time since I have been here! May2012!

Just to let anyone know.....my hubby waited 4 months for desion.. sorry about spelling lol

hope this puts minds at ease ;)

Kassie x

DanniBibo

Hello everyone, Hubbys settlement visa ends in August 2014. He came to the UK in June 2012 so when would we need to start the IRL process? Could you lovely ladies give me some info? Also how did your Hubby's find the Life in the UK test and how many attempts did it take them? We bought the books and its just so overwhelming for us both!! Could you give me information on what to provide in IRL too! Look forward to hearing from you xx

Jane BM

Hello everyone, Hubbys settlement visa ends in August 2014. He came to the UK in June 2012 so when would we need to start the IRL process? Could you lovely ladies give me some info? Also how did your Hubby's find the Life in the UK test and how many attempts did it take them? We bought the books and its just so overwhelming for us both!! Could you give me information on what to provide in IRL too! Look forward to hearing from you xx
It's ILR Danni...lol

You say it ends in August 2014, is that the 2 year period or the 2 years plus 3 months period? He can apply after 23 months.

We shall be applying in December ourselves...and don't fall under the old old regs but not under the new regs either.....ie if husbands English wasn't above their acceptable level then he would also need to do an ESOL with citizenship NOT Life in the UK, so you need to check the UKBA website first to make sure that your husbands English grade is already sufficient, if not then enrol at College.

The UKBA website does have on it all the relevant documentation needed, ie, letters addressed to him, bank statements etc, check it out....

DanniBibo

It's ILR Danni...lol

You say it ends in August 2014, is that the 2 year period or the 2 years plus 3 months period? He can apply after 23 months.

We shall be applying in December ourselves...and don't fall under the old old regs but not under the new regs either.....ie if husbands English wasn't above their acceptable level then he would also need to do an ESOL with citizenship NOT Life in the UK, so you need to check the UKBA website first to make sure that your husbands English grade is already sufficient, if not then enrol at College.

The UKBA website does have on it all the relevant documentation needed, ie, letters addressed to him, bank statements etc, check it out....
Oops ILR that's what I meant Jane! Haha!
Could you send me the link to check his English level. He got a 4 overall for the IELTS.
Thanks I will check more online as August 2014 would be the 2 years plus 3 months which means we can apply in may 2014 I think x

Jane BM

Oops ILR that's what I meant Jane! Haha!
Could you send me the link to check his English level. He got a 4 overall for the IELTS.
Thanks I will check more online as August 2014 would be the 2 years plus 3 months which means we can apply in may 2014 I think x
and life in the UK

Knowledge of language and life in the UK
This page explains how you can demonstrate that you have a good knowledge of language and life in the UK, in order to apply for settlement (also known as 'indefinite leave to remain') here.

Changes to the 'knowledge of language and life' requirement for settlement
Skilled and highly skilled migrants must now pass the Life in the UK Test if they want to demonstrate that they have met the knowledge of language and life requirement for settlement in the UK.
Read more

There are 2 ways to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life (KOL) in the UK.

If you are an English speaker (see below) and/or you are currently in the UK as a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must pass the 'Life in the UK test'.
If you are not an English speaker and you are not a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must pass a course in English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) which contains citizenship materials.
Please note that some applicants are exempt from the KOL requirement.

You qualify as an English speaker if your English skills are at or above ESOL Entry Level 3 or Scottish Intermediate 1. If you do not know the level of your English skills, you should work through the tutorial on the Life in the UK test website. If you cannot fully understand the information in that tutorial, you may need to take an ESOL course containing citizenship materials.

There are transitional arrangements for skilled and highly skilled workers who enrolled on ESOL courses before 23 November 2010.

More information
What are ESOL Entry Level 3 and Scottish Intermediate 1?
What are skilled and highly skilled migrants?
Life in the UK test
ESOL and citizenship course
If you are the partner of a member of HM Diplomatic Service, the British Council or DFID
What happens if you do not meet the requirement?

DanniBibo

I'm completely baffled! What a nightmare! X

salim

and life in the UK

Knowledge of language and life in the UK
This page explains how you can demonstrate that you have a good knowledge of language and life in the UK, in order to apply for settlement (also known as 'indefinite leave to remain') here.

Changes to the 'knowledge of language and life' requirement for settlement
Skilled and highly skilled migrants must now pass the Life in the UK Test if they want to demonstrate that they have met the knowledge of language and life requirement for settlement in the UK.
Read more

There are 2 ways to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life (KOL) in the UK.

If you are an English speaker (see below) and/or you are currently in the UK as a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must pass the 'Life in the UK test'.
If you are not an English speaker and you are not a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must pass a course in English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) which contains citizenship materials.
Please note that some applicants are exempt from the KOL requirement.

You qualify as an English speaker if your English skills are at or above ESOL Entry Level 3 or Scottish Intermediate 1. If you do not know the level of your English skills, you should work through the tutorial on the Life in the UK test website. If you cannot fully understand the information in that tutorial, you may need to take an ESOL course containing citizenship materials.

There are transitional arrangements for skilled and highly skilled workers who enrolled on ESOL courses before 23 November 2010.

More information
What are ESOL Entry Level 3 and Scottish Intermediate 1?
What are skilled and highly skilled migrants?
Life in the UK test
ESOL and citizenship course
If you are the partner of a member of HM Diplomatic Service, the British Council or DFID
What happens if you do not meet the requirement?
Really great informations Jane , thanks for sharing with us !

Jane BM

loulou28

Danni from what I know the changes were made from the 9th of July 2012. If your husband was granted settlement before that date he should fall under the old regs category. He will need to go and do the life in the Uk test. He can do it anytime and then you apply for ILR when he has been in the Uk for two years!
My husband bought the book then booked the test date so he knew he had to read it and that he had a deadline. He passed first time and said it wasn't too difficult.
In regards to paper work you need to prove that you live together by providing utility bills, council tax bills, bank statements, payslips,medical letters etc to your address.. Also just need to show that you can provide for yourselves which they will see from your bank statements.
We have just been through the process feel free to ask any questions.
:)

Jane BM

Danni from what I know the changes were made from the 9th of July 2012. If your husband was granted settlement before that date he should fall under the old regs category. He will need to go and do the life in the Uk test. He can do it anytime and then you apply for ILR when he has been in the Uk for two years!
My husband bought the book then booked the test date so he knew he had to read it and that he had a deadline. He passed first time and said it wasn't too difficult.
In regards to paper work you need to prove that you live together by providing utility bills, council tax bills, bank statements, payslips,medical letters etc to your address.. Also just need to show that you can provide for yourselves which they will see from your bank statements.
We have just been through the process feel free to ask any questions.
:)
Ill put a link up from UKBA below......this is not just for people who are applying for settlement but also for people already here who will be applying for ILR....take a look at the 5th clause...from October 2013 it changes.....if their English doesn't meet the required level then they need to do an ESOL...it's only if their language is ABOVE the criteria that they can do the New and revised Life in the UK. Confusing yes!!!

Jane BM

However reading it again....I can interpret it either way!!!!!!!

DanniBibo

Thank you Jane :) looking though websites it says that their level of English should be a b1 or above which means they do the life in the uk test. Bilel got his visa granted June 10th so I think he just needs to do life in the uk as he got a band 4 in IELTS and I've just looked it up which is classed as a B1 independent learner.
It's so much work and once you get the settlement you think it's over for a while but it's just not the case! I rang the college about the ESOL and they couldn't enrol him as they said he needed a permenant residency! How ridiculous!
Anyway good luck to your hubby :) I will get him reading and revising and get a date set for this test. X

olliebaby

Hi Dani

My husband is doing an ESOL course at College and he doesnt have permanent residency.
K's ILR is going in next week. Scaaaaaaaary! We planned to send it off last week but got to wait for the new Council Tax bill which they wont send out until Monday, no matter how much ive pleaded with her!! Cant wait for it all to be over and done with! I need a holiday!!!! :)

Jane BM

Thank you Jane :) looking though websites it says that their level of English should be a b1 or above which means they do the life in the uk test. Bilel got his visa granted June 10th so I think he just needs to do life in the uk as he got a band 4 in IELTS and I've just looked it up which is classed as a B1 independent learner.
It's so much work and once you get the settlement you think it's over for a while but it's just not the case! I rang the college about the ESOL and they couldn't enrol him as they said he needed a permenant residency! How ridiculous!
Anyway good luck to your hubby :) I will get him reading and revising and get a date set for this test. X
That's good Danii....Aymen got a 4.5 in IELTS...however he's gonna do the ESOL anyway for the future.

Nope it's just never over...lol...

There's lot of places where they can do the ESOL, they don't need to be a permanent resident..how ridiculous..as long as its an accredited college as per the UKBA website...good luck to your hubby as well..

Jane BM

Danni can you post the link on here which shows what the IELTS results equate to....would be helpful for all when applying for ILR..Thanks...