Applying for ILR next week!

Sally

My hubby did the test in February from the old books (and thankfully passed) but we were told that the test was changing from the 25th March wherte the questions will be from the new book.

Jane BM

Well I am still confused:confused: Yes K did the KET and would have had to study ESOL to get up to B1, so I asked about doing the ESOL with citizenship and was told as he will not be applying for ILR until next year he will not need to do the ESOL with citizenship as everyone will then have to take only the new Life in UK test which will have different criteria to the one now. She did say that there is no need to take both. So I am presuming that I will have to wait until October to see what the criteria is??? Ukba said they can only advise that it will be changing from October this year but can not yet tell me the content of this test. He can't do the ESOL course now until next September which will be after his visa expires. Oh I am no wiser now. Does he just do the New Life in UK test or what?????:confused:
If he hasn't got level B1 or above then he'll need to do an ESOL...but anyone who does the ESOL doesn't need to do the Life in the UK as well, however those with B1 or above don't need to do the ESOL and just need to do the Life in the UK. The book that has just been released is the Life in the UK that will apply. We won't be applying for ILR till December, HOWEVER he can take the Life in the UK anytime he wants before then!!

gabriel612

Hi Jane sorry I had to go to work. I rang UKBA again and was told that there is no level to do Life in the UK, they said he only needs to study ESOL if his English is poor to help him for the Life in UK test. The college also said that if the ESOl + citizenship is taken then that certificate is valid and no need to take the Life in UK, but as from October this year everyone will have to take Life in Uk regardless of ESOL or not. The college said that if his English was good enough to not waste money doing the ESOl and to just do the life in UK. Also as there will be changes in October I was told that if he did Life in UK now it would not be valid for next year as the test would have different criteria. Soooooooo many conflicting stories from UKBA and college:confused:

Essem

Staff member
Thanks Gabriel. I'm sure this'll be a great help to anyone else in the same situation.

Jane BM

Hi Jane sorry I had to go to work. I rang UKBA again and was told that there is no level to do Life in the UK, they said he only needs to study ESOL if his English is poor to help him for the Life in UK test. The college also said that if the ESOl + citizenship is taken then that certificate is valid and no need to take the Life in UK, but as from October this year everyone will have to take Life in Uk regardless of ESOL or not. The college said that if his English was good enough to not waste money doing the ESOl and to just do the life in UK. Also as there will be changes in October I was told that if he did Life in UK now it would not be valid for next year as the test would have different criteria. Soooooooo many conflicting stories from UKBA and college:confused:
Maybe I didn't explain it well....but that's what I've said. If they do the ESOL with citizenship then they don't need to do Life in UK as well. The requirement if they have to do an ESOL is that they are graded at the beginning and then need to have gone up a grade. That's what I read anyway.

Next year, I don't know....however the Life in the UK test book that is out now IS valid this year.

gabriel612

Maybe I didn't explain it well....but that's what I've said. If they do the ESOL with citizenship then they don't need to do Life in UK as well. The requirement if they have to do an ESOL is that they are graded at the beginning and then need to have gone up a grade. That's what I read anyway.

Next year, I don't know....however the Life in the UK test book that is out now IS valid this year.
Hi thanks Jane, sorry I was not having a go at you, nor was I being dumb....lol I just got so much conflicting advice from those who are supposed to be in the know. I have looked at the latest edition guide for Life in UK and on page 9 it states:

From October 2013, the requirements will change. From that date, for settlement or permanent residence, you will need to:

Pass Life in UK Test
AND Produce acceptable evidence of speaking and listening skills in English at B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference. This is equivalent to ESOL Entry Level 3.

So even though he can take Life in Uk now and pass it, he will come under the new changes from October and will still need to show he has listening and speaking skills up to ESOL Entry Level 3. He did the KET which is the Cambridge ESOL but he got the lowest score of A1 his listening was weak, his reading and speaking were basic with enough to write/converse on predictable topics. I don't know how he scored so low he never shuts up talking and he speaks really good, his listening is not good if he is not looking at you when you are speaking, he has a problem in his left ear he has told me about this and anyone in his company for long soon knows. But being a Tunisian man he won't do anything about it, I have told him to go and sort it out now and he can get an invisible hearing aid, but oh no he says they are stupid and he doesn't need it, he would rather go through life with people thinking he is ignorant. He goes off on one if I mention it. So I have given up with that one. So hubby will have to do both as he does not apply for ILR until March next year. Hope now you can see why I was confused, I was being told one or the other not both, but he will have to take both for the changes in October. Oh boy is it hard work trying to get any sense from UKBA. Fortunately the lady I have spoken to this morning knew her job and got all the correct advice for me.

gabriel612

Only probs now trying to find an evening class that do ESOL, rang loads and they all do days only, as he is working full time he can't do that. I don't know, they have to be seen to be working yet they also have to study:confused::confused::mad:

FED UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP:D:D

Essem

Staff member
Only probs now trying to find an evening class that do ESOL, rang loads and they all do days only, as he is working full time he can't do that. I don't know, they have to be seen to be working yet they also have to study:confused::confused::mad:

Looks like you'll have to go down the route of a private tutor Gabriel. Would that be possible?

Jane BM

I know a couple of people that are doing an ESOL Gabriel and they're doing it at night school a couple of times a week so persevere, I'm sure you'll find somewhere.

Also, you can check it out nearer the time BUT I've read that if they do the ESOL WITH Citizenship, this also includes the material for Life in UK..

gabriel612

Looks like you'll have to go down the route of a private tutor Gabriel. Would that be possible?
Just been in touch with the local library they do only day classes but she is emailing me a list of other centers that do it in my area, so will try them then will have to look at private if nothing else. Ooooh I can see his face now when he knows more study, it will be like a slapped ar*e:D Well I have spent all my free time on the bloody phone and computer so he will hav to like it or lump it, one wrong word and I swear I will blow:mad: He hates study, but he is not a bad un, he has done lots of work around the home, he is my MR fixer, he has done jobs that have needed doing for years, and he has started to build some decking so not all bad. It feels like 2 steps forwards and 10 steps back. Going to get a nice strong cuppa then get ready for work.

Jane BM

Just been in touch with the local library they do only day classes but she is emailing me a list of other centers that do it in my area, so will try them then will have to look at private if nothing else. Ooooh I can see his face now when he knows more study, it will be like a slapped ar*e:D Well I have spent all my free time on the bloody phone and computer so he will hav to like it or lump it, one wrong word and I swear I will blow:mad: He hates study, but he is not a bad un, he has done lots of work around the home, he is my MR fixer, he has done jobs that have needed doing for years, and he has started to build some decking so not all bad. It feels like 2 steps forwards and 10 steps back. Going to get a nice strong cuppa then get ready for work.
Tell him it's his own fault Gabriel..if he'd studied in the first place...lol....see what reaction you get....(or maybe not advisable)..x

olliebaby

Morning everyone!!

So ILR went in 2 weeks ago almost. Isn't it funny how they can take upto 6 months to review an application yet it took them
Only 2 days to take the payment!!!???

Letter received also saying its being processed so let's see how long it takes......

Essem

Staff member
Good luck with the ILR Olliebaby and hope you don't have to wait a long as 6 months. xx

gabriel612

Morning everyone!!

So ILR went in 2 weeks ago almost. Isn't it funny how they can take upto 6 months to review an application yet it took them
Only 2 days to take the payment!!!???

Letter received also saying its being processed so let's see how long it takes......
Good luck with it OB hope it doesn't take too long to get it.

olliebaby

Thanks Gabriel, well they are definitely reviewing it and haven't thrown it to one side, got a letter today with a page of the application that K hadn't signed, asking he signed it and returned it in the free post envelope so it's done and back in the post. Oops, I guess they could have been difficult about it so.....??!! Just hope nothing else was missed!