Biometric Residence Permit-ILR

Ros81

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I have been and posted on here. Hope you are all well. Can't believe 2 years have flown by and it's now time for us to apply for hubby's ILR. Have been looking at UKBA website and have noticed that applications being made after 29th February 2012 will now involve applying for a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Does anyone know anything more about this and anything about costs involved, So far nothing about cost is mentioned on the UKBA website, but just wanted to check and make sure. I have been trying to contact UKBA by phone but have had no luck getting through as no one answers the phone! Any help on this topic is much appreciated. Thank you all :)

maynardlynne

i posted on this subject and from what i read, UKBA will send you a ref number so you can book appt for BRP

Ros81

Thank you Essem and maynardlynne :)

Rainbowchild

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I have been and posted on here. Hope you are all well. Can't believe 2 years have flown by and it's now time for us to apply for hubby's ILR. Have been looking at UKBA website and have noticed that applications being made after 29th February 2012 will now involve applying for a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Does anyone know anything more about this and anything about costs involved, So far nothing about cost is mentioned on the UKBA website, but just wanted to check and make sure. I have been trying to contact UKBA by phone but have had no luck getting through as no one answers the phone! Any help on this topic is much appreciated. Thank you all :)
Are you applying by post or in person at a PEO? There is no extra charge for BRP at the moment. If you are applying in person and have an appointment already booked, the UKBA will take biometrics when you go. They will tell you to arrive 30minutes early to take the photo and fingerprints. If you are applying by post you will have to book an appointment to have biometrics taken. Get on the phone and stay on it til they answer!
In future a reference number will be sent out for applicants to submit biometrics but no date as to when this will happen has been announced. Many will have moved house since applying for the visa so who knows where the letter would be sent to anyway.

raad2000

Are you applying by post or in person at a PEO? There is no extra charge for BRP at the moment. If you are applying in person and have an appointment already booked, the UKBA will take biometrics when you go. They will tell you to arrive 30minutes early to take the photo and fingerprints. If you are applying by post you will have to book an appointment to have biometrics taken. Get on the phone and stay on it til they answer!
In future a reference number will be sent out for applicants to submit biometrics but no date as to when this will happen has been announced. Many will have moved house since applying for the visa so who knows where the letter would be sent to anyway.
I phoned to make an appointment to go in person. They told me to reprint the forms on the 29th feb and to arrive 30mins b4 for them to take the fingerprints and photograph. After they take all your husbands details they will then give your a reference no that they tell you to bring with you on the day of the appointment.There is no charge for this. Ive looked at the new form and all i can find different on it is a small section on Biometric asking if he has had fingerprints b4 taken, where an when?. Hope this helps. good look with the ILR.

maynardlynne

I phoned to make an appointment to go in person. They told me to reprint the forms on the 29th feb and to arrive 30mins b4 for them to take the fingerprints and photograph. After they take all your husbands details they will then give your a reference no that they tell you to bring with you on the day of the appointment.There is no charge for this. Ive looked at the new form and all i can find different on it is a small section on Biometric asking if he has had fingerprints b4 taken, where an when?. Hope this helps. good look with the ILR.
when is your ILR due???

maynardlynne

This page explains how you can enrol your fingerprints and facial image (known as 'biometric information'), if you have applied by post to extend your stay or settle in the UK.
If you make your application to extend your stay in the UK by post, we will send you a biometric notification letter after we have received your application. You must make an appointment to enrol your biometric information within 15 working days of the date on this letter.
For general information about applying for a biometric residence permit and the biometric enrolment process, see our biometric residence permit leaflet (PDF 67KB opens in a new window).
Walk-in service for enrolment

You may be able to enrol your biometric information at a limited number of post offices nationwide. This is a walk-in service, with no need to book an appointment, but you can only use the service if you have been sent a letter inviting you to do so.
You must bring the back page of this letter (which includes your case reference number, full name and date of birth) when you go to the post office. If you do not do this, Post Office Ltd will not be able to proceed with your enrolment.
When you use the service, you will be charged an additional handling fee of £16.20, payable to Post Office Ltd. You can pay this fee by cash or debit card.
For the locations of the post offices, see below.
Enrolment by appointment

You can also enrol your biometric information at any of our 7 public enquiry offices and 2 biometric enrolment centres across the UK.
You will not need to pay an additional fee to enrol your biometric information at any of these offices and centres, but you must book an appointment.
For the locations of the offices and centres, see below.
Public enquiry offices and biometric enrolment centres

Find out where you can enrol your biometric information by appointment.
Post offices offering a walk-in enrolment service

For an extra fee, you can enrol your biometric information without an appointment.

Booking an appointment

How to book an appointment online or (in exceptional circumstances) by phone.

maynardlynne

BIOMETRIC RESIDENCE PERMITS

This leaflet explains the UK Border Agency process for giving your biometric information and applying for a biometric residence permit (BRP).
What is a biometric residence permit?
The biometric residence permit is a residence permit which holds a migrant’s biographic details (name, date and place of birth) and biometric information (facial image and fingerprints), and shows their immigration status and entitlements while they remain in the UK.
Who has to apply for a biometric residence permit?
Foreign nationals from outside the European Economic Area making certain applications to the UK Border Agency have to apply for a biometric residence permit. This applies to both postal applications and applications made in person (known as ‘premium applications’).
If a migrant has to apply for a biometric residence permit it will be stated on the application form. For up-to-date information on which types of applications are affected please log on to the UK Border Agency website at www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk.
Successful applicants receive a biometric residence permit as evidence of their right to be here. Migrants applying successfully in categories which do not need to enrol biometrics will continue to receive a sticker (or vignette) in their passport.
Why do applicants over 6 years old have to give their fingerprints?
The law states that everyone over 6 years old must provide their fingerprints when applying for a biometric residence permit.
Why do children under the age of 16 need a ‘responsible adult’ to accompany them?
It is a legal requirement to ensure the child understands the process and is reassured.
Who is a responsible adult?
This is a parent or guardian, or another person aged 18 years or over who takes responsibility for the child.
How do I enrol my biometric information and apply for a biometric residence permit from inside the UK?
If you make your application to extend your stay in the UK
by post, we will send you a letter after we have received your application. You will be able to enrol your biometric information at some Crown Post Offices using their walk-in service, or at the Home Office’s biometric enrolment centres by appointment only.
If you want to make your application
in person you can do this at one of our public enquiry offices or by using the super premium service. You will enrol your biometric information at the same time as making your application.
If you want to apply at one of our public enquiry offices you must book an appointment.
If you want to use the super premium service you should phone 020 8196 3893 or 020 8196 3892.
What happens when I enrol my biometric information?
Enrolling your biometric information is a quick and clean process. We take a digital photograph of your face, then you put your fingers on a glass screen to be scanned - there is no ink or mess.
We are aware of the need to protect the dignity, privacy and modesty of applicants, and there will be special arrangements for applicants where needed.
How long does it take to enrol biometrics?
The UK Border Agency biometric enrolment process takes 5-10 minutes. There may then be a short wait while we check your data.

maynardlynne

What about any medical or physical conditions that may require the UK Border Agency to provide the applicant with special arrangements?
If you and/or any dependants who are applying with you have a medical or physical condition which may require special arrangements to be made in order for your biometric features to be recorded, you must obtain a letter or other document giving the details of any such condition and enclose it with your application.
Appropriate documentary evidence would be a letter from a treating clinician, such as a practising doctor registered with the General Medical Council, giving details of the condition and/or special needs and explaining any arrangements that may be necessary.
What if I have no fingers or hands?
If you are physically unable to provide fingerprints we will take a photograph of the facial image and record on the database the fact that you are physically unable to provide fingerprints.
You will not be able to use the biometric enrolment service at a post office branch.
Why must I give my biometrics as part of my application?
Providing biometrics helps to protect the identities of genuine applicants. Biometric residence permits make it easier for individuals to prove their identity, immigration status and entitlements in the UK. Individuals are locked into a single identity which helps the UK Border Agency tackle immigration abuse, child trafficking, illegal working and identity fraud.
What happens if I refuse to give my biometrics?
If a postal applicant fails to make arrangements to provide their biometrics their application will be rejected. If they fail to attend an appointment to enrol their biometrics or refuse to provide their biometrics then their application to the UK Border Agency may be refused.
If a premium applicant refuses to provide their biometrics then their application to the UK Border Agency may be refused.
Why do I have to be fingerprinted again when I gave my biometrics overseas as part of my visa/entry clearance application?
We need to verify that an individual making an application in the UK is the same person who applied for the visa overseas and who came through the UK border.
What will happen to my biometrics after they have been taken?
They will be held on the existing fingerprint database.
Will I be interviewed?
If the fingerprint check reveals any queries around your identity, these matters may be resolved through an interview. However, this will not routinely be required.
Will I be issued with a biometric residence permit?
If you are successful in your application you will receive a biometric residence permit. However, the card is not issued on the day you give your biometrics. It will be sent to you in the post via secure delivery. If you have not received your permit within ten working days of the date of your decision letter you must email [email protected] and provide the following details:
  1. full name;
  2. date of birth;
  3. nationality;
  4. passport number;
  5. delivery address;
  6. a contact telephone number; and
  7. case reference number
You cannot enquire about undelivered permits in person at our offices or biometric enrolment centres. This applies to both premium and postal services.
When will I get my biometric residence permit?
If you apply by post, we will post your permit to you by secure delivery, separately from the decision about your application and the return of your documents.
If you apply at a public enquiry office, we will post your permit to you by secure delivery after your appointment. Permits cannot be issued on the same day as your appointment.
We advise you not to book any non-urgent travel before you have received your permit.
What must I do when I receive my biometric residence permit?
You must check your permit carefully when you receive it, to ensure that all the details on it are correct. If you find a mistake, you must email [email protected] within 10 working days of receiving the permit - otherwise you may be charged for a replacement and will have to apply again. You must provide us with the following details:
  1. full name;
  2. date of birth;
  3. nationality;
  4. passport number;
  5. contact telephone number;

maynardlynne

• BRP reference number
  • case reference number; and
  • exactly what is wrong with the BRP.
We advise you to make a photocopy of the front and back of your permit, in case it is lost or stolen. If you want to make another application in the future, you will have to send your permit to the UK Border Agency, so you may want to retain a copy for your records.
What must I do if my biometric residence permit is not delivered?
If you have not received your permit within 10 working days after the date on your letter from us extending your permission to stay in the UK, you must email [email protected] and provide the following details:
  1. full name;
  2. date of birth;
  3. nationality;
  4. passport number;
  5. delivery address;
  6. a contact telephone number; and
  7. case reference number
You cannot ask about undelivered permits in person at our public enquiry offices or biometric enrolment centres.
How do I use my biometric residence permit?
Your biometric residence permit is evidence of your permission to stay in the UK, and shows the conditions of your stay. It enables you to confirm your identity and your rights to study and/or work here, and to access public services.
You must show the permit to your employer or approved education provider before you start to work or study.
You must take your permit with you if you go abroad while you have permission to stay in the UK. You may have to show the permit to an immigration officer at the border when you leave the UK. You will also have to show it as well as your valid national passport or travel document before you begin your return journey, and again when you re-enter the UK. The permit proves that you are allowed to return to the UK, but it cannot be used instead of a passport or travel document.
What must I do if my biometric residence permit is lost or stolen?
If your biometric residence permit is lost or stolen, you must report the loss or theft to us as soon as possible by e-mailing [email protected]. You must provide the following details:
  1. full name;
  2. date of birth;
  3. nationality;
  4. passport number;
  5. contact details;
  6. BRP reference number;
  7. case reference number; and
  8. when, where and how the loss or theft occurred.
You must also report the loss or theft to the police and obtain a police report and a crime reference number, as soon as possible.
If your biometric residence permit is lost or stolen while you are in the UK, you must apply for another permit within 3 months of reporting the loss or theft of your original permit, using form BRP (RC). You can download the BRP (RC) application form and guidance from our website at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk.
If your permit is lost or stolen while you are outside the UK, you must apply for a Replacement BRP visa in order to re-enter the UK. The Replacement BRP visa page explains what you have to do. You must then apply for a new biometric residence permit within 1 month of re-entering the UK, using form BRP (RC). You can download the BRP (RC) application form and guidance from our website at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/.
If you do not apply for a replacement permit, you may have to pay a financial penalty of up to £1,000, or we may shorten your permission to stay.
How do I change my personal details on my biometric residence permit?
You must tell us as soon as you can if:
  1. you change your name (for example, because of marriage or by deed poll);
  2. you change your gender, legally or permanently;
  3. you change your nationality; or
  4. your facial appearance changes significantly.
If you change any personal details listed above or any details shown on your biometric residence permit, you must apply for a new permit within three months using application form BRP (RC). If you do not do this, you may have to pay a financial penalty of up to £1,000 or we may shorten your permission to stay. You can download the application form and guidance from the right side of this page.
What must I do if I change my address or circumstances?
If you change your address before you have received your biometric residence permit, you must tell us immediately by phoning 0870 606 7766.

maynardlynne

If you change your address at any time after you have received your biometric residence permit, and you think you are likely to be at the new address for at least six months, you must tell us by sending a fax to 020 8196 5454 or by writing to:
UK Border Agency Change of Address Team 11th Floor Lunar House Wellesley Road Croydon CR9 2BY
You must tell us immediately by phoning 0870 606 7766 if:
  1. you change your circumstances so you no longer qualify to stay under the Immigration Rules that were in place when we gave you permission to stay in the UK; or
  2. you are a student and you change your course and/or education provider (sponsor).

What must I do if the information on my biometric residence permit is incorrect, someone has been using my permit, my permit is damaged?
You must tell us immediately by emailing [email protected] if you know or suspect that
  1. the information held on your permit is untrue, misleading or incomplete;
  2. someone has used your permit with or without your permission; or
  3. your permit has been damaged or tampered with.
You must provide the following details:
  1. full name;
  2. date of birth;
  3. nationality;
  4. passport number;
  5. a contact telephone number;
  6. BRP reference number
  7. case reference number; and
  8. exactly what has happened to the BRP.

Where can I access more information?
For further information please log on to: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk.
Or call the Immigration Enquiry Bureau on 0870 606 7766.
February

raad2000

when is your ILR due???
Our appointment is for 19th March. Fingers crossed everything is ok with our application. We have been together along time, 12yrs and a bit.

Essem

Staff member
Good luch
kwith it all raad.

mjka

can anyone clarify this issue for me please ,do spouse must apply for BRP before apply for the ILR?i mean spouse who came to uk with settlement visa for 2 years??cos the visa sticker inside the passport got i thinck biometric print ???if yes they need to apply how it can ve done?and where?is it in the post office?please any helpe will appreciated

MellieC

can anyone clarify this issue for me please ,do spouse must apply for BRP before apply for the ILR?i mean spouse who came to uk with settlement visa for 2 years??cos the visa sticker inside the passport got i thinck biometric print ???if yes they need to apply how it can ve done?and where?is it in the post office?please any helpe will appreciated
the UKBA are contacting people to give them their reference number to get the BRP. if your ILR is due soon you should contact them and ask them how to get your BRP

there is a thread on here too.

Rainbowchild

What date are you applying? Are you posting your application or doing it in person at a UKBA Public Enquiry Office?

mjka

What date are you applying? Are you posting your application or doing it in person at a UKBA Public Enquiry Office?
hi im not applying now its too early ,i did like to know how to apply for BRP ??is there any contact number?do i need to wait for the ukba ref so i can do it in the post office?/

Ros81

Hi all...sorry not on here much..but just came back to have a peek at the forum and looked at this post again. Thank you to all of your replies.

MJKA any application made after 29 February 2012 for an ILR would involve taking Biometrics as part of the application process. We handed in my hubby's ILR application on 21st March 2012. About 2 weeks later we received a letter from UKBA with a reference number asking to have Biometrics (Facial imprint and fingerprints) taken at either a public office or a post office. It's free to have it done at a public office but if you need an appointment. There is a timescale..you need to get it done within 15 days if I remember correctly from the date of the letter. We could not get an appointment within the time scale at a a public office near us therefore had to opt for having it done at a Post Office (designated post offices are listed on UKBA website)..for a fee of £19.20. you do not need an appointment to have the biometrics done at a post office. It is a walk-in service. The process does not take long. Hubby had his facial imprint and fingerprints done within 10 minutes. You take part of the letter the UKBA send you with a barcode on it and they scan it so the biometrics are put into the system and that is it. We are waiting now. Hopefully not too long. Hope this info helps

Mrs H

H applied in person last month. His biometrics were done at the same time and he received his residents card within a week. Looks a bit like a driving licence. We flew back from Tunisia 2 weeks ago into Glasgow and the woman at security had no idea what this card was... A bit worrying! No visa stamp in their passport now just the 2 year one they get before they come here so they have to travel with their passport and residents card