Boarding a cat in Tunis?

Jillimom

Hello all! I am hoping someone can give me advice on boarding a cat in Tunis. (We live in the El Omrane area of the capital.) We are planning a trip back to California this summer for 6 weeks. Our kitty will be about 9 months old at that time and we really need to find a good place for him to stay while we are gone. Unfortunately, we don't know anyone who can stay at our house while we are gone so boarding is our only option. :(

Any help is appreciated...thank you!

Jillimom

Anyone????

Jane BM

Sorry Jillimom, I've absolutely no idea!!

ROULLA

Hello all! I am hoping someone can give me advice on boarding a cat in Tunis. (We live in the El Omrane area of the capital.) We are planning a trip back to California this summer for 6 weeks. Our kitty will be about 9 months old at that time and we really need to find a good place for him to stay while we are gone. Unfortunately, we don't know anyone who can stay at our house while we are gone so boarding is our only option. :(

Any help is appreciated...thank you!
Hi Jillimon, hope that you and your family are all well!
Tunis Air has this information on their website
Other Services
It is possible for you to travel with your domestic animals (cat, dog, bird …) in the cabin if a reservation is made.

They must travel in an appropriate container (cage or basket adapted for transport) within the cabin luggage dimensions (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) and it must weigh less than 5kg. If the animal carriage does not comply with these specifications then you must check it into the hold through our station manager (prior reservation required).

In addition, you must provide a health certificate for your animal and a rabies inoculation certificate, signed by the relevant health authorities.

Here is their website, they have updated quite a bit of information recently, about time anyway.
https://www.tunisair.com/site/PUBLISH/content/article.asp?ID=108&Lang=en

Jellycat

How about asking one of the neighbours teenage daughters to go in twice a day to feed it in exchange for a small payment and a present from your holiday. That's what people in England often do provided you know your neighbours a bit. Or ask the local vetinary surgery if they can recommend someone?

Jillimom

Hi all - thanks for your replies...

Roulla - We are all fine, thank you! I actually do not want to take kitty with us. My mom in CA already has 2 cats and the thought of taking our cat on a 20-hour plane trip sounds just horrible!

jellycat - I did think of that but it will be the middle of summer and we can't leave our doors open when we are not here or other wild cats will get it. Poor kitty will be roasting in our house! Also our neighbors are all either allergic or afraid of cats. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think we have found a solution by boarding him at his vet's for the 6 weeks we will gone. That was an option we hadn't given a lot of thought to because I was afraid it would be really expensive. But he is charging us 7td/day including food soI guess that is not too bad. We really have no other choice anyway! Insh'allah it will all work out and he will still remember who we are when we get back. LOL.

Jane BM

Hi all - thanks for your replies...

Roulla - We are all fine, thank you! I actually do not want to take kitty with us. My mom in CA already has 2 cats and the thought of taking our cat on a 20-hour plane trip sounds just horrible!

jellycat - I did think of that but it will be the middle of summer and we can't leave our doors open when we are not here or other wild cats will get it. Poor kitty will be roasting in our house! Also our neighbors are all either allergic or afraid of cats. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think we have found a solution by boarding him at his vet's for the 6 weeks we will gone. That was an option we hadn't given a lot of thought to because I was afraid it would be really expensive. But he is charging us 7td/day including food soI guess that is not too bad. We really have no other choice anyway! Insh'allah it will all work out and he will still remember who we are when we get back. LOL.
He probably won't speak to you for a few days when you get back.....lol...

Tasnim

Depends on where you're going also.. We wanted to bring our cats with us to Sweden but since Tunisia is seen as a high risk country when it comes to rabies it's extremely difficult to get them in to the EU. We would need all kinds of papers and blood work tested in approved lab inside the EU etc. This summer when leaving 1 month I hope my mother in law will check on them daily or every two days, but I'm worried about the heat also. We thought about leaving them with the vet but we'll see.

Jillimom

^^ You really should check with your local vet. I know it is not the ideal thing for a cat to be cooped up at the vet's for a month (or more) but at least you know they will be safe and not stuck in a hot house.

Tasnim

The problem is with the money.. ;) My mother in law offered to help, and I guess the clima could be on between her visits, if only at a bare minimum.. We'll see..

Jillimom

^^Ah got it. It does add up when you are going away for more than a week or so. Good luck and I wish you a great trip to Sweden!