British Tunisian : FCR

Waqar

Hello- my wife is a British Tunisian - shw wants to take a car over to Tunisia to sell (from Belgium) and make some profit to invest in a property- how many times can she do this without having to pay duoane (customs) someone told her she can do this every other year up to three times.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately this is not the case.

There are a lot of people bringing cars all the time and given currency fluctuations and the hassle for selling cars it can be a risky business.

RS

A tax free status plate for the car you can drive around.

+cheap car
+tax free
+process if reasonable

-only wife and husband who own car (maybe kids)
-car is worth as much as a european car since you have to have RS status to buy it.
-when car is old if nobody wants it it can be a pain to get rid of unless you pay european VAT and then take it back

FCR

Discount on Customs

+cheaper than a new car in Tunisia since your not paying VAT in Europe and 25% of VAT in Tunisia
+ the car is Tunisian and can be sold for a high second hand price
+ You can sell it on the black market apparently

- you get one FCR each thats it and i heard it may also be per household
- The douane tell you how much your car is worth and this may shock you if you paid a lot less than this. eg a golf 15,000 may be worth 30,000 depending on model. You need to go to the head office of the customs in Tunis and get all this down before you even by the car.

In summary the best way to make money from cars in Tunisia is either let everyone know you have a lot of money and buy and sell cars for cash when they need money (happens a lot)

Or have a wonderful relations with colonel + in the douane so you can "get things done"

However there are a lot of guys in prison in this field of work (occupational hazard) and it is horrible.

I advise everyone to buy a Tunisian car or have an exporting business that gives you RS.

Your wife can have one car FCR so unless your going to bring a Bugatti Veyron (big cars not always easy to shift) in and sell it on its unlikely you will make a fortune after the "mabrouks".

Alulu

FCR is only once if you have a Tunisian passport and live abroad. The car can not be older then 3 years by the way. Less taxation is a big plus, often the car is bought in Europe and therefore automatically a better quality compared to the same cars in Tunisia which are often stripped off and materials of the original are replaced by "African made" ones. A car straight from Europe is also wanted by other Tunisians because they know it is better quality.

It is however officially forbidden to sell your FCR car. FCR is ment to be for private use only. Although alot do sell their cars once everything is taken care of and their car is in Tunisia. Nevertheless you should watch out though.

To export the FCR car to Tunisia and make everything work "smoothly" you often have to pay extra to douaniers for example. Otherwise it might be case that your car is weeks or even months somewhere in the port of Tunis "waiting" to be picked up. You on the other hand need to "settle" some things to get the needed stamp(s) and manage to get your car. This is all from first hand experience but your wife, being a Tunisian, knows how her country works as well with those things.

NetNiet

And don't forget that the car can not be older than 3 years at the moment the papers are finished! So if you need time to sell and organise all the papers, you have to make sure that your car isn't older problaly than maximum 2 years and 6 months old at the moment you arrive.

And I'm wondering if you can sell a FCR car, because before you're buying / selling a car you have to go to a station who is checking all the documents and the car before you can actually selling or buying. And I'm pretty sure that if you don't have the right papers, you won't get their permission because after that it's than impossible to get the papers at your name, so no person wants to buy a car without the right papers.

zetou99910

well impressed

Waqar

Hello having just returned from Tunisia- i have been told the Douane is no longer the same as it was before under the previous government- can someone clarify this and that only one car is still allowed as I was told now two cars are allowed.

caveatemptor

It depends who told you. The douane in writing or a coffee shop "expert"

Waqar

Its many people across the board from family to the coffee shop expert- I have no connections to anyone in the government hence posting this question again...

caveatemptor

I once had a question regarding the douane, after a bit of searching I logged into the official government website and found all the answers I needed. Give it a try.

Essem

Staff member
Hello having just returned from Tunisia- i have been told the Douane is no longer the same as it was before under the previous government- can someone clarify this and that only one car is still allowed as I was told now two cars are allowed.

Hi Waqar

Might be an idea to pm Scottochott - he has a lot of up to date info regarding bringing cars in and if he can help you in any way, he will. Good luck.

Waqar

I once had a question regarding the douane, after a bit of searching I logged into the official government website and found all the answers I needed. Give it a try.

Thanks for that-- can you send me the exact link pls?

Waqar

Hi Waqar

Might be an idea to pm Scottochott - he has a lot of up to date info regarding bringing cars in and if he can help you in any way, he will. Good luck.

Hi Essem how do I "pm Scottochott"?

Essem

Staff member
Hi Essem how do I "pm Scottochott"?
Hi Waqar

Go into your own profile and on the left hand side you'll see a list of stuff you can do. Think the first one is send private message, click on that and fill in the boxes.

Any idea how to get the FCR document while in the UK?

Scottochott

I think it has to be arranged through Tunisian customs ( la duane), but try contacting Tunisian embassy in London.