Buying property

ROULLA

We all love you Essem x x x You are one in a million x x

Mezoo

VIP Member
power before greed

He also said everything depends on the elections - and the general consensus was that if a certain party get in, tourism and foreign investment will come to and end here.
I agree future uncertain, but any move to restrict foreign investment will strangle economy, those in charge know this.xx
if certain partie(s) get in they care not a hoot about tunisia and would be glad for societial failure. they only want power and do not want thriving business.

that said, we're waiting also until the smoke clears. maybe next year a good picture will emerge.

C

Cas

if certain partie(s) get in they care not a hoot about tunisia and would be glad for societial failure. they only want power and do not want thriving business.

that said, we're waiting also until the smoke clears. maybe next year a good picture will emerge.
Well Hello there Mezoo ........We are going Sunday will be very interesting indeed.

J

johnandrews

Thanks for all the advice - believe me I have thought about my choice and was really just asking about the conveyancing process rather than the pros and cons in buying in Tunisia, but I appreciate your feedback, it's an interesting topic nonetheless. Actually found a good comparison site where you can find conveyancing solicitors and compare quotes if anyone else is interested.

Essem

Staff member
Have just heard from a friend that his bank manager mentioned that the new government would like to or are going to stop foreigners from buying in Tunisia. I thought investment was the name of the game especially now!

Has anyone else heard this?

Interesting, especially to those of us who have bought there, especially if we can't then sell on to other Europeans/foreigners and only Tunisians.

And with the amount of new builds being thrown up, what would this mean? Are Tunisians the majority when it comes to buying up property?

If so, does this mean that the number of properties for sale will outnumber the number of Tunisians who want to buy therefore leaving a glut of properties unsold?

Then this glut of properties would flood the rental market perhaps forcing the price of rentals down???

Be interesting to hear other views on this.

Jane BM

Have just heard from a friend that his bank manager mentioned that the new government would like to or are going to stop foreigners from buying in Tunisia. I thought investment was the name of the game especially now!

Has anyone else heard this?

Interesting, especially to those of us who have bought there, especially if we can't then sell on to other Europeans/foreigners and only Tunisians.

And with the amount of new builds being thrown up, what would this mean? Are Tunisians the majority when it comes to buying up property?

If so, does this mean that the number of properties for sale will outnumber the number of Tunisians who want to buy therefore leaving a glut of properties unsold?

Then this glut of properties would flood the rental market perhaps forcing the price of rentals down???

Be interesting to hear other views on this.
sounds like someone hasnt thought this through very well!! surely if they want to see more prosperity in the country then 'foreigners' investment is a vital part of this!!

Essem

Staff member
I would have thought so too Jane.

Hoping it's misinformation!

annibee

i have my property up for sale here in england i did think about buying in tunisia when its is sold but have deceided i would rather have a small base here and rent in tunisia and stay for a few months at a time

Essem

Staff member
Annibee, I can honestly say I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy in Tunisia and I never thought I'd hear myself saying that. Always considered renting 'dead' money but buying anywhere abroad nowadays is full of uncertainty. I wouldn't do it again.

annibee

Annibee, I can honestly say I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy in Tunisia and I never thought I'd hear myself saying that. Always considered renting 'dead' money but buying anywhere abroad nowadays is full of uncertainty. I wouldn't do it again.
thanks essem i need to be sure my money is safe for my children and yes i have always thought renting is dead money but interest from capital wold pay rent so prefer to play it safe

daffodil

I have been told that foreign investors will have to pay a minimum amount for property in Tunisia, in the future.

Apparently this is so that the cheaper property will be available for Tunisian buyers. This is the same law as many other countries have already.

C

Cas

I have been told that foreign investors will have to pay a minimum amount for property in Tunisia, in the future.

Apparently this is so that the cheaper property will be available for Tunisian buyers. This is the same law as many other countries have already.
What other countries have this law daffodil ?

daffodil

Malta has a mimimum purchase price for outside investors.

In certain areas of Spain (traditional Basque regions).....

There are others, but i think large property developers have loop holes, and therefore many investors never know the law exists.

I have been told that the Tunisian government believe that European buyers push the house prices too high and therefore local people can not compete.

They have even tried to stop the influx of buyers from England here in Wales, as they feel it is diluting the culture here (language etc) and also because buyers from certain areas can afford to pay a premium and often only use the property a few weeks of the yr.

Pembrokeshire County Council, stipulate now that you must have a connection to the area before you can buy a second home there.

C

Cas

My parents not Welsh, have recently left Pembrokeshire after 17 years there was no sales stipulation whatsoever.

daffodil

I can assure you that it has been widely publicised that Pembrokeshire are really trying to get the Welsh indigenous population back and lose the title they have become known as "Little England " They also want people to live in the villages and towns permanently in order for the business's, schools etc to survive.

I am Welsh and have lived back here for 30yrs, in the heart of Welsh speaking Wales. I know what is happening around me.

I also know that the law has been criticised and challenged here, but i am not sure what the outcome of the case is/was.

Did your parents live there full time......if so that is the difference, it is second home owners that are targeted.

This is not a new thing either, in the early 80's many holiday homes were burnt to the ground by Welsh activists.

I know from personal experience that many Tunisian people have the same feelings when they see expensive holiday apartments. left for months empty, and just used for a few weeks here and there by their foreign owners.

Essem

Staff member
I can assure you that it has been widely publicised that Pembrokeshire are really trying to get the Welsh indigenous population back and lose the title they have become known as "Little England " They also want people to live in the villages and towns permanently in order for the business's, schools etc to survive.

I am Welsh and have lived back here for 30yrs, in the heart of Welsh speaking Wales. I know what is happening around me.

I also know that the law has been criticised and challenged here, but i am not sure what the outcome of the case is/was.

Did your parents live there full time......if so that is the difference, it is second home owners that are targeted.

This is not a new thing either, in the early 80's many holiday homes were burnt to the ground by Welsh activists.

I know from personal experience that many Tunisian people have the same feelings when they see expensive holiday apartments. left for months empty, and just used for a few weeks here and there by their foreign owners.

How short sighted is that then?

The owners are still paying for syndicate charges, etc., therefore keeping someone/some people in jobs whether the are there or not.

Most of the owners where I live are Tunisians living in or married to Europeans (possibly hy they could afford to buy in the first place!) who leave their apartments empty and only visit 3/4 times a year.

And most foreign owners that I know are either there all the time, apart from a couple of weeks back home, or they rent out again making money for themselves and the local economy.

daffodil

I agree Essem......

Maybe the average Tunisian knows he/she will never be able to afford one of those apartments and hence where the resentment comes from??

C

Cas

Yes it was my parents primary residence but in their little enclave many of the homes you are right were 2nd homes but their owners are all Welsh. My folks had many Welsh friends and my cousin owns a hill farm by Maenclogogh also. I agree with the principle of course but hope the same thing doesn`t happen in Tunisia to a total degree. Much of the enterprise is English owned or instigated in Pembrokeshire, in the early 90`s it was desperately in need of new money and ideas, it is now developing in a positive manner and therefore creating jobs for local people. I hope foreign investment yes, is controlled in Tunisia but not too tightly. I believe I just read where 147 foreign owned companies have left since the uprising, what does this do for employment which in turn leads to local property ownership ? Also seems many of the holiday homes are owned by Tunisians working abroad, that`s what my Tunisian friends tell me, even farms way out from the coast.

Trulymadlydeeply

Excuse me if I'm having a blonde moment, but I didn't think foreigners could own companies outright in Tunisia, I thought a Tunisian had to own the majority??

daffodil

Yes it was my parents primary residence but in their little enclave many of the homes you are right were 2nd homes but their owners are all Welsh. My folks had many Welsh friends and my cousin owns a hill farm by Maenclogogh also. I agree with the principle of course but hope the same thing doesn`t happen in Tunisia to a total degree. Much of the enterprise is English owned or instigated in Pembrokeshire, in the early 90`s it was desperately in need of new money and ideas, it is now developing in a positive manner and therefore creating jobs for local people. I hope foreign investment yes, is controlled in Tunisia but not too tightly. I believe I just read where 147 foreign owned companies have left since the uprising, what does this do for employment which in turn leads to local property ownership ? Also seems many of the holiday homes are owned by Tunisians working abroad, that`s what my Tunisian friends tell me, even farms way out from the coast.
Hi Cas,

I agree with you and yes it is often the case that both here and in Tunisia second homes are owned by people who are originally from the area. ( Although where i live 75percent of homes are owned by people from other places.)

It would seem then that people would like to stay in the area they are used to, but are forced to move away for economic reasons, lack of jobs etc. If they then make enough they buy somewhere they are familiar with to return to for holidays etc.

The problem with this is the area suffers when too many take this option as normal everyday services suffer, esp the schools and shops.

Many people who come to their holiday homes here bring all their own supplies with them and have no need of the local shop.

It is not an easy problem to solve, and like you say, if in Tunisia foreign companies invest and create jobs, then it is a positive situation for everyone.......I guess it depends on the type of jobs on offer though and the renumeration.