Card transactions

feefad

Guys,

just one to be aware of when using your card in Tunisia. My husband made 3 card transactions with his bank card, 2 in shops and an ATM withdrawal. Each time the funds were reserved twice, causing me to panic as to what he had been spending and if I would have enough for my direct debits to be paid / money to go out for friends bday etc. My actual funds and what was available were showing a bit of a discrepancy.

Called my bank and the Indian call centre was not overly helpful, insisting that my husband had the right to use his bank card on our joint account how he wanted. Which was fine, except that I by this point I had already chinned Zico on what he had been spending. I also knew that when he had paid for the hire car, this had been reserved twice (as per prev call to bank) but the funds had since became available again and only one transaction on my account. Also our ATM cards have a limit of £300 per day, 2 transactions of 500 TD would not have been allowed. Could go onto rant about bank again but wont help my blood pressure.

The money is now back available in my account as these 2nd transactions were not requested and processed but it is one to be aware of. Not sure if the problem is my bank maybe reserving in pounds, the figure of the transaction in dinars or if it happens with other banks and is something to do with the way the request is processed at Tunisian end. We have always used our cards abroad, but as both of us are normally there together I wouldnt have been checking my bank online and noticed. As the money is again available, it is all good, but as it limited what was available to take out, nearer the end of the month, it could have been a bigger issue.

Mezoo

VIP Member
we've looked at similar issues---open an account for only use in Tunisia. it will resolve a host of problems--transfer some to it each week----:cool:

bobby g

we've looked at similar issues---open an account for only use in Tunisia. it will resolve a host of problems--transfer some to it each week----:cool:
Good idea if you spend a good part of your time in Tunisia, otherwise just take enough cash to last your stay. Its a shame in this day an age when we rely on cards so much that its not more reliable. I've never come across this problem when used my card abroad, but have to say took loads of cash with me to Tunisia as I was'nt sure how reliable the ATMs were.
Get me "advertising the loads of cash"....yeah! I'm the one with the big bag marked "cash in here". Actually I did'nt take that much realllly!!!!:p

Cathibou

Good idea if you spend a good part of your time in Tunisia, otherwise just take enough cash to last your stay. Its a shame in this day an age when we rely on cards so much that its not more reliable. I've never come across this problem when used my card abroad, but have to say took loads of cash with me to Tunisia as I was'nt sure how reliable the ATMs were.
Get me "advertising the loads of cash"....yeah! I'm the one with the big bag marked "cash in here". Actually I did'nt take that much realllly!!!!:p
Erm! Interesting when you going again bobby g!

bobby g

Beginning of June Cathibou....just taking a miniscule amount of cash this time nudge nudge wink wink....Hope those ATMs are in full working order.:D:D:D

feefad

lol @ bobby, could i borrow that bag??

ive never had a problem before but i think it may because ive never noticed before and its back available before ive spotted it :) I normally take a mixture with me, but depends if pay day is when im away or not :)

Majdi

This is weird. I used my US bank card several times in Tunisia, never faced a single issue. I withdrew around $20k.

Mistle253

I've just got back from Tunisa yesterday morning and i experienced problems using my card while out there, tried using it in Kairouan to take out some money at ATM first one wouldn't let me take any out, then found another one that let me, when i tried using my card at the airport the cashier told me it had been declined yet i knew there was money in my account. when i looked at my account yesterday after getting back the first time that i tried to take money out of the ATM in Kair had been debited from my account, yet i never got anything out. spoken to the bank and it has now been rectified , maybe this was why my card wouldn't work at the airport, as when i got back everything was ok.

Majdi

what is your card type,
i had a visa and used Amen bank atm

Mezoo

VIP Member
This is weird. I used my US bank card several times in Tunisia, never faced a single issue. I withdrew around $20k.
always worked because u used a US card and everybody knows US banks are "ROCK SOLID"------------HA :mad:

ROULLA

This is not the place for advertising, you have been asked nicely before..

Majdi

I used a French card and it worked too. Maybe i'm just very lucky when it comes to this.

ROULLA

Majdi said:
and i answered nicely too :)
it was my signature and i removed it from the usercp
am i doing something wrong?
I have sent you a message..:)

Mossy

I have been using a UK bank card to withdraw cash here in Tunis for a couple of years now and never had a problem. Also, I've used a UK Visa card in restaurants, supermarkets etc. many times again,without any problems.

I also did as Mezoo suggested and opened a bank account with BIAT but don't use it that much.

MellieC

my brit bank has a habit of stopping my bank card, if I withdraw from any ATM in tunisia other than the one i use near the house, I have spend so much time phoning the bank, and tis always been stopped to prevent fraud, it doesn't matter how much I tell em I'M IN TUNISIA U HAVE IT IN WRITING!!!!!!!!!! I have an STB acc and have some money transferred. It might be of interest to consider the Prepay mastercards ~ there is no fee for overseas withdrawls on one that I have, i got it for travelling, and it saves me a lot of money in bank charges!!

igglepiggle

When I was in Sousse in March this year I made four withdrawals from the ATM over a two week period but when I was checking my statement at home, I realised they had duplicated all of my withdrawals. Don't feel confident about using them again to be honest.

marie59

Banned
I have been using british card for over 7 years now when i visit tunisia and have used it in a wide number of places never have i had any trouble, however my daughter used a atm machine in pek and she didnt get the money but when we arrived home ihad been debited out of her account it took weeks to get it back but she did.
I guess it just depends on the machine and the bank and if you are prepared to carry money around and take the risk of it going missing. At least with the bank you can state your claim if there is a problem and usually it will get sorted.

Aussiegal

i know i have sent a subsiduary card to my visa debit to my boy that way when i am there the kids who are still in aus can put money in using my direct debit card and i can withdraw while i am there funny though we can only do it through one lot of atm's no others work and i cant use it in the shops either

ROULLA

17 September 2010 Last updated at 23:41