Carte de Sejour Card / Residency Card

ROULLA

(mine expires every two, but this may be because I'm married?).
But surely you would not need a Carte de sejour as you are Tunisian, unless you are talking about your wife.
Mabrouk :) x x

upload_2014-4-23_21-59-13.jpeg

Last edited:

Trulymadlydeeply

Wow massive change for her. English schools very expensive in Tunisia. Other members have said that their ex partners wouldn't allow the children to go and live in Tunisia... Will you be working there steph?

Stepharoo

Wow massive change for her. English schools very expensive in Tunisia. Other members have said that their ex partners wouldn't allow the children to go and live in Tunisia... Will you be working there steph?
Aww that wont be a problem about my ex partner. He turned his back and hasnt bothered with his daughter since she was 7 months old. His loss though. I have a uk based business i can work on from anywhere in the world which is great and if needs must i can try and get a part time job. I've made friends with a few people over there but hoping my own business will be enough. Once i come back from my holiday in june it will be super saving from there until we move :)

Trulymadlydeeply

Wishing you luck Steph sounds great.. Stay in touch please it will be good to hear how you are getting along :)

janette

A UK tourist can stay in Tunisia for 3 months without applying for a visa. After the 3 month's stay is up they need to go to the Visa section at the Police Station and apply for a visa for the rest of their stay -- it is that which costs 20 td per person per week.

Stepharoo

Wishing you luck Steph sounds great.. Stay in touch please it will be good to hear how you are getting along :)
Will do. I will probably be annoying you's all nearer the time with so many questions :p

ROULLA

and a Little Leilla-Bee :)
Hi Youssef, hope that you are well!
Am I reading rightly between the lines or am I over reading?, are you saying that you also have a baby ? :)

Youssef11

Hi Youssef, hope that you are well!
Am I reading rightly between the lines or am I over reading?, are you saying that you also have a baby ? :)
Rightly between the Lines :)

Essem

Staff member
Update for renewal of CDS for British in the Sousse area, you now require:

2 copies of passport at photo/info page
2 copies of last visa page
2 recent passport sized photos (5DT for 4 photos in most photo shops here).
2 copies of sales contract (Contrat de Vente), or, if you rent, rental contract
2 copies of 'Attestation de Solde' (Confirmation of balance) from your bank*
1 Quittance (receipt) for 15DT (from the Recette de Finance)**
2 completed copies of a 'Demande de visa- Carte de Sejour' which your local Bureau des Étrangers will supply.

* Some banks will charge for this. UIB Nejma charges 40 dt + tax = 47.22 Dt - with attitude I might add!)
** The stamp system was changed in 2013 (before it was 2 x 10DT) - so no more stamps, just 1 x 15dt Quittance even if they have to issue a provisional card in the meantime.

YouOnlyLive Once!

Thank you Youssef :) Thats the information i have. Was wanting to double check as i've been looking at schools, houses, holidays, pet passports and working on my own business lol i know its still over a year away until i move but best to be prepared eh :) Thanks again :)
Congrats Stepharoo and good luck with the move! What part are you moving to? I just booked a hol for 7 weeks time too ..... can't wait!!!!

Essem

Staff member
Update for renewal of CDS for British in the Sousse area, you now require:

2 copies of passport at photo/info page
2 copies of last visa page
2 recent passport sized photos (5DT for 4 photos in most photo shops here).
2 copies of sales contract (Contrat de Vente), or, if you rent, rental contract
2 copies of 'Attestation de Solde' (Confirmation of balance) from your bank*
1 Quittance (receipt) for 15DT (from the Recette de Finance)**
2 completed copies of a 'Demande de visa- Carte de Sejour' which your local Bureau des Étrangers will supply.

* Some banks will charge for this. UIB Nejma charges 40 dt + tax = 47.22 Dt - with attitude I might add!)
** The stamp system was changed in 2013 (before it was 2 x 10DT) - so no more stamps, just 1 x 15dt Quittance even if they have to issue a provisional card in the meantime.

Should you be applying for a new CDS ( i.e. for the first time), all of the above apply apart from the 2 copies of last visa pages. You should have 2 copies of last date of entry stamp page instead.

N.B. if you are planning to leave Tunisia before receiving your CDS, the BDE will issue a provisional card (usually only valid for one month but if you're out of the country longer, it won't really matter) with which to travel until your CDS proper comes through.

Essem

Staff member
And, at the moment the waiting time is 4 months for a CDS..................

Essem

Staff member
Hi there,
Have been reading through the requirements for CDS, regarding the financial side of things, does anyone
know if it is ok to deposit the £6000 as a lump sum and then add to it later, or do the authorities need that
money, at least £6000 drip fed into the account on a monthly basis, as regular income ?

I have read quite a few posts, nothing 100% from what i can see.
I would prefere to make lump sum payment(s) if possible.

I will be buying a property, that may help my cause.
Any feedback would be great, thanks ! :))

With reference to the CDS, when it comes to selling your property as a resident, if you have stayed in Tunisia for more than 180 days in any one year, you will have to pay tax on any money transferred in during that year unless you can prove that you have paid taxes in the UK or wherever you are resident.

If you can't prove tax paid on your money in another country, I believe their is a an amount, like a annual personal allowance of around 7000 dt (amount to be confirmed) so less than that coming in wouldn't be taxable.

Proof of residency in the UK or your country of residence will also be required ie title deeds to property, bank statements with addresses, voter's role, etc British passport is not enough.

These are required in order to have the Ministry of Finance/Hôtel des finances/Kabadha issue a document that goes in with the application to the governor for authorisation to sell. I'm in the middle of this at the moment so information is up to date.

I first applied for a CDS in 2002 when it was a requirement for buying a car here or even to have a Telecom land line. I believe it no longer applies to either but don't know when the laws changed. So a good idea you keep up with all the current laws etc although word is that it'll all change again after the elections.

And, of course, every time you exit Tunisia as a resident you have to pay 60dt (previously 45dt). So even with the new 30dt exit stamp, it's still cheaper to be non resident.

So only benefits that I can see for having a CDS now is that it allows you to remain in the country for more than 3 months at any one time without having to leave and it allows you to do certain types of work here.

It would appear from discussions I've had recently that non residents who own and then sell property, can transfer money back without any of the above hassle - but I'm not convinced.

There is a double taxation convention between the UK and Tunisia, and info about this can be found on google.

So I'd say that if you have a CDS and you don't really need it, cancel it.

Essem

Staff member
And, at the moment the waiting time is 4 months for a CDS..................
And 4 months almost to the day.................. this time for 2 years and 3 months. Was previously told 5 year duration but with price of CDS having jumped up in price, it's not really in their financial interests to issue cards for longer durations.

Essem

Staff member
Forgot to mention, the Ministry of Finance/Hôtel des finances/Kabadha also ask if you have rented out your property. If so, you are taxed on that income as well.

Scottochott

Another disadvantage of residency is that when buying a property you pay 6% purchase tax, whereas as a non-resident it is only 1%. This is what made me give up residency, it would have cost me thousands. Like Essem I see no advantage unless you will be living there permanently. For anyone moving there and buying a property, I would buy and register the property before applying for residency.

With reference to the CDS, when it comes to selling your property as a resident, if you have stayed in Tunisia for more than 180 days in any one year, you will have to pay tax on any money transferred in during that year unless you can prove that you have paid taxes in the UK or wherever you are resident.

If you can't prove tax paid on your money in another country, I believe their is a an amount, like a annual personal allowance of around 7000 dt (amount to be confirmed) so less than that coming in wouldn't be taxable.

Proof of residency in the UK or your country of residence will also be required ie title deeds to property, bank statements with addresses, voter's role, etc British passport is not enough.

These are required in order to have the Ministry of Finance/Hôtel des finances/Kabadha issue a document that goes in with the application to the governor for authorisation to sell. I'm in the middle of this at the moment so information is up to date.

I first applied for a CDS in 2002 when it was a requirement for buying a car here or even to have a Telecom land line. I believe it no longer applies to either but don't know when the laws changed. So a good idea you keep up with all the current laws etc although word is that it'll all change again after the elections.

And, of course, every time you exit Tunisia as a resident you have to pay 60dt (previously 45dt). So even with the new 30dt exit stamp, it's still cheaper to be non resident.

So only benefits that I can see for having a CDS now is that it allows you to remain in the country for more than 3 months at any one time without having to leave and it allows you to do certain types of work here.

It would appear from discussions I've had recently that non residents who own and then sell property, can transfer money back without any of the above hassle - but I'm not convinced.

There is a double taxation convention between the UK and Tunisia, and info about this can be found on google.

So I'd say that if you have a CDS and you don't really need it, cancel it.
I was previously told by my bank manager in Tunisia that for funds to be repatriated after a property sale they must be placed in a "compte attendante", is this still the case? Have you done this with your deposit? My understanding is that this money can only be released to be then sent abroad after central bank authorisation.

Jillimom

I have been waiting on mine for nearly 7 months now....crappy system. :mad:

Essem

Staff member
Two banks advised me to put it into my regular dinar account and once CB authorise it, it can be sent from there. Watch this space!

Essem

Staff member
I have been waiting on mine for nearly 7 months now....crappy system. :mad:
When I went to collect mine the other day, the girl was on the phone to a friend and did all that she had to do whilst speaking with her. She only looked up when she asked me to sign for it.

I asked her about the rules and regulations of the 180 days and she said sh had no idea about them!!! TBH she was more interested in asking me about my nails and nail varnish :mad:

Professionalism in Tunisia - never! :banghead: