Carte de Sejour Card / Residency Card

Essem

Staff member
So after Tax office in Sousse speaking to tax office in HS about how much HS charged me, they came back with another figure of around 4400 DT for the 2 years.

So it's gone from 1500 and 99 to 182 and 1.5 (which I paid) and then 4400 but was waiting for confirmation of this and how it was worked out.

It appears that none of the above is correct and they now want just under 42K DT - yes 42,000.000 dt :sour::wideyed::wtf:

Not only are they taxing declared monies in Tunisia at 25% but rest of money/income in UK at 75%, money that has never been in Tunisia and that has been taxed already in the UK. All worked out at today's rate of 2.865 BTW.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Scottochott

OMG! That's ridiculous, have you spoken to a lawyer or accountant, what are their views?

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Its getting to be an embassy issue now.

Double taxation treaty invocation

anton

hi everyone, and a happy new year.
hoping you can help me out here, in november 2015 i will going to tunisia for 3 months, i would like to stay a lot longer, something like a year, i do not want to apply for a carte de sejour, i have heard that it is possible to pay at a local police station each week for every week that i stay over the three months, could you tell me how much it costs for each week and how long i can stay for. thank you.

gem15

It's 20 tnd per week you over stay.

Essem

Staff member
OMG! That's ridiculous, have you spoken to a lawyer or accountant, what are their views?
Lawyer's dealing with it. Their office made a typing error, which can happen, not 41Kand odds, 4,100 and odds. Spoke to accountants, lawyers, etc etc and each time they come up with a different answer, surprised? I'm not.

And, there was another 200 dt added because the query went in to a new year. To be able to move on (as this has gone on for 4 months now) and, as instructed, I went to pay it at local tax office who said amount was wrong and that their calculations the first time I went (and paid) were correct. I could have cried.

Another example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Essem

Staff member
I'm 'advised' that now (and no-one can tell me when this changed or was brought into effect) (and I've seen it in writing, albeit in Arabic as I ask for proof of everything now) residents have to bring in 30,000.000 dinars per annum. Thirty thousand dinars.

I wonder if the admin issuing these cards are aware of this as they have been advising 1000 dt per month or between 12 - 15K dt per annum for a while now.

The 'privilege' of having residency allows one to:

bring in a car
work (certain jobs only)
stay for longer than 3 months at a time.

As if you stay for more than 183 days (info on internet or 180 days they state here) in any one year, all worldwide earnings will be taxed.

They don't send out notices either, you have to go ask!

http://www.kpmg.com/global/en/issuesandinsights/articlespublications/taxation-international-executives/tunisia/pages/income-tax.aspx

Last edited:

cherie63

I'm 'advised' that now (and no-one can tell me when this changed or was brought into effect) (and I've seen it in writing, albeit in Arabic as I ask for proof of everything now) residents have to bring in 30,000.000 dinars per annum. Thirty thousand dinars.

I wonder if the admin issuing these cards are aware of this as they have been advising 1000 dt per month or between 12 - 15K dt per annum for a while now.

bring in a car
work (certain jobs only)

As if you stay for more than 183 days (info on internet or 180 days they state here) in any one year, all worldwide earnings will be taxed.

http://www.kpmg.com/global/en/issuesandinsights/articlespublications/taxation-international-executives/tunisia/pages/income-tax.aspx
Hi, I have a small pension of £5K, I am below the threshold for UK tax, does that mean I would have to pay tax in Tunisia if I stay more than 180 days and have a carte de sejour?

Last edited:

Scottochott

Lawyer's dealing with it. Their office made a typing error, which can happen, not 41Kand odds, 4,100 and odds. Spoke to accountants, lawyers, etc etc and each time they come up with a different answer, surprised? I'm not.

And, there was another 200 dt added because the query went in to a new year. To be able to move on (as this has gone on for 4 months now) and, as instructed, I went to pay it at local tax office who said amount was wrong and that their calculations the first time I went (and paid) were correct. I could have cried.

Another example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
How frustrating! It's made worse by there being nowhere to go to get definitive answers, everyone says something different!

Scottochott

bring in a car
work (certain jobs only)

I think the best thing for anyone else to do is avoid the problem. I would advise against anyone staying more than 180 days a year, especially if you significant earnings or savings. You may hear nothing for years but it looks like when they catch up with you, you could end up with a massive bill!

Of course everything changes constantly and the new govt may change things again, but I doubt it will be for the better. With the state of the country's finances, I think foreigners' money is an easy target!

Essem

Staff member
Hi, I have a small pension of £5K, I am below the threshold for UK tax, does that mean I would have to pay tax in Tunisia if I stay more than 180 days and have a carte de sejour?
Yes, pensions are income therefore taxable here. They taxed me at 25% of money brought in and 75% of money in the UK (money that's already been taxed there).

But, this only came to light because I'm selling up so if you haven't bought any property here and If they don't send out notices, how are you to know and how are they to know? So it seems only investors/owners are caught up in this but I could be wrong. I know many people who live in Tunisia permanently all year round and they don't pay any taxes at all.

Essem

Staff member
I think the best thing for anyone else to do is avoid the problem. I would advise against anyone staying more than 180 days a year, especially if you significant earnings or savings. You may hear nothing for years but it looks like when they catch up with you, you could end up with a massive bill!

Of course everything changes constantly and the new govt may change things again, but I doubt it will be for the better. With the state of the country's finances, I think foreigners' money is an easy target!
Absolutely, just wish I'd known about this 'rule' and, of course, here they saw being blind to the law is no excuse for not knowing something that appertains to you or your situation.

I'm reliably told that it wasn't enforced like this before, but 'they' are trying to keep as much money in the country as possible.

Hopefully, estate agents will be advising of this (they should be and many are well aware) before asking people to sign on the dotted line!

gem15

There has been plenty of people who have had the CDS and when it comes to leaving they do just that...leave. Like Essem has said I think it's only come out as she is in the process if selling property.

In my case they wouldn't have anything to tax as I'm dependant on my husband and have no money in the UK.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
There has been plenty of people who have had the CDS and when it comes to leaving they do just that...leave. Like Essem has said I think it's only come out as she is in the process if selling property.

In my case they wouldn't have anything to tax as I'm dependant on my husband and have no money in the UK.
They would still try if you sold something as thats how it goes.

In terms of just leaving the CDS needs to be renewed but strangely does not run out either as I found out letting mine expire but still getting asked for money leaving the airport (resident departure tax for me and all my family of 5).

So I cancelled mine.

gem15

They would still try if you sold something as thats how it goes.

In terms of just leaving the CDS needs to be renewed but strangely does not run out either as I found out letting mine expire but still getting asked for money leaving the airport (resident departure tax for me and all my family of 5).

So I cancelled mine.
My mum actually cancelled hers a while ago and brought and declared lots of money but wasn't charged any tax. I wonder if it's a new rule.

I know it doesn't expire and has to be cancelled but that can sometimes work in your favour.

My parents recently went to Oz and dad's CDS expired in june so instead of having to pay the over stay few he just brought the 60tnd stamp.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
They dont expect to get any money from you unless you have a easy expensive item which they can get you for.

car - house - company - equipment

When you have one of those the bills come out.

Lola2312

Can anyone explain to me how having a carte de sejour will effect me?

Its sounding like a bad thing but I plan to live in tunisia for at least a year if not permanently and i really dont want to keep leaving every 180 days!

I would not be working and dependant on my husband. I have nothing in UK, no house, no car etc.

Will it effecct me? Do you have to have savings/earn a certain amount if married?

I thought basically husband writes that he accepts responsibility for you and that is enough??

Everythings so cconfusing! -_-

gem15

It shouldn't affect you as your not bringing money into the country.

I know Essem has said she is having difficulty with taxes etc due to her CDS but I think maybe that's due to her being a property owner but not 100% sure.

I've known couples who have had a CDS after bringing in £££ and not paid a penny in tax when leaving the country permanently.

I'm a CDS holder and it hasn't affected me negatively in any way.

Lola2312

Ah ok, i wont be buying property out there so hopefully il be ok.
does it affect you when you try leave the country?

gem15

Ah ok, i wont be buying property out there so hopefully il be ok.
does it affect you when you try leave the country?
Not at all you just have to pay the 60tnd exit stamp.