Changing TND to Sterling in Tunisia

curly

Where can you change TND into Sterling to take back to UK, i bought a wedding dress out for hubbies cousin, i bought in pounds and she has given me TND but I want it in pounds as already have TND.
For example if a Tunisian goes on holiday where do they change money?? I dont really want to do it at the airport cos if they say NO for whatever reason they may take my money, it is 1000 TND x

Scottochott

It is a closed currency, you will not be able to change dinars for sterling unless you declared the currency coming in. Your only real option is to do a black market deal, or if you know a Tunisian in the UK they may change it for you. Beware taking dinars out is illegal so hide it well!

curly

But
It is a closed currency, you will not be able to change dinars for sterling unless you declared the currency coming in. Your only real option is to do a black market deal, or if you know a Tunisian in the UK they may change it for you. Beware taking dinars out is illegal so hide it well!

But what do Tunisians do when they go on holiday then?? I could get hubby to say that?? X

Scottochott

But

But what do Tunisians do when they go on holiday then?? I could get hubby to say that?? X

Not entirely sure of the process but they need authorisation and are allowed a certain amount. If you're married to a Tunisian I'm sure he will know, though i suspect a valid ticket would need to be produced

Trulymadlydeeply

Strange because at Gatwick they have a buy/sell rate in the kiosks! Also some branches of thomas Cook will change it. But as STC says it can be confiscated if they find it in you.

ROULLA

Where can you change TND into Sterling to take back to UK, i bought a wedding dress out for hubbies cousin, i bought in pounds and she has given me TND but I want it in pounds as already have TND.
For example if a Tunisian goes on holiday where do they change money?? I dont really want to do it at the airport cos if they say NO for whatever reason they may take my money, it is 1000 TND x
Hi Curly, hope that you are well! Like Scott said, it is closed currency, however, if you know someone who works in a hotel they may change it for you. It's the same in Tunisia, it's not what you know but who you know. Your only other 2 options would be to exchange it with someone you know is going to Tunisia from the UK, or convert it back to sterling in a place in Oxford circus, only problem is that you will lose out. As for them finding it, try and hide it where they would never suspect. Sorry I'm answering you on my mobile and I'm unable to send you some pictures of places that they would never suspect. If the worse comes to the worse, you just have to leave it there for next time you're over there, or even better you could purchase your next visit with a ticket from Tunis Air.
Good luck.

Scottochott

Strange because at Gatwick they have a buy/sell rate in the kiosks! Also some branches of thomas Cook will change it. But as STC says it can be confiscated if they find it in you.

In you? :eek::oops: Or even on you or in your baggage, preferably the latter :joyful:

Gatwick and other outlets will change it in the UK but the rate is terrible

Scottochott

Hi Curly, hope that you are well! Like Scott said, it is closed currency, however, if you know someone who works in a hotel they may change it for you. It's the same in Tunisia, it's not what you know but who you know. Your only other 2 options would be to exchange it with someone you know is going to Tunisia from the UK, or convert it back to sterling in a place in Oxford circus, only problem is that you will lose out. As for them finding it, try and hide it where they would never suspect. Sorry I'm answering you on my mobile and I'm unable to send you some pictures of places that they would never suspect. If the worse comes to the worse, you just have to leave it there for next time you're over there, or even better you could purchase your next visit with a ticket from Tunis Air.
Good luck.

Ooh we want the pics Roulla (btw, welcome back)

kadjiah

I hope someone can help me, I'm traveling to Tunisia on vacation and need to know what types of pay methods are excepted there. Do I need to have a card, or travelers check? or do I need to change U.S dollars to TND and where ect..... thank you in advance :)

ROULLA

Ooh we want the pics Roulla (btw, welcome back)
Hi Scott and thank you.
Hi Scott, thank you for the welcome.:)
images

Just one of many places, need I say more:eek:;)
If I was desperate to get the money out, knowing me I'd sew them in the hem of my trousers,:rolleyes: they would have to be flares:D depending how much money I had.
upload_2015-5-17_21-53-34.jpegupload_2015-5-17_21-56-44.jpegupload_2015-5-17_21-57-23.jpegupload_2015-5-17_21-57-53.jpeg
images

Jane BM

I hope someone can help me, I'm traveling to Tunisia on vacation and need to know what types of pay methods are excepted there. Do I need to have a card, or travelers check? or do I need to change U.S dollars to TND and where ect..... thank you in advance :)
You can change your cash into dinar when you are there or use your debit card.

Essem

Staff member
But

It might have changed but don't they have to convert their money into the currency of the country they are travelling to and it's noted in their passport?

Last edited:

Essem

Staff member

I wonder if they are selling off dinars that holidaymakers have donated for charity on board the inbound aircraft :eek:

gem15

It might have changed but don't they have to convert their money into the currency of the country they are travelling to and it's noted in their passport?
Not necessarily, when we travelled to the UK the bank at the airport didn't have pounds so had to give us euros.

They are allowed to change 5000tnd per year and it's stamped in their passports.