Children with a Tunisian

Essem

Staff member
New thread with anything relating to having children with a Tunisian Partner.:D

mquiming

Hi! It's been awhile since I last check on threads,but this caught my attention.
The father of my daughter filed divorce and granted by the court. I just need to know, if I do need a paper or any documents from him allowing our child to travel with me alone inspite of our divorce status? Just needs clarification on this matter.. Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Yasmine

I don't think the fact that you're divorced changes anything - she's still his daughter, so yes, I believe you'll need a signed letter from him to leave Tunisia with her. You can read more about it here.

Trulymadlydeeply

Hi mquining, you are free to travel anywhere without his permission BUT Tunisia!! You will be fine getting in the problem will be getting out. i have travelled to many countries since we divorced and none have asked for any documents from his father (Tunisian) :)

mquiming

Thank you for the information!
We are not in Tunisia this time and will not go there also. I 'm planning for a vacation with my baby and was thinking about those papers I have heard from other people that they said, I still need to have when I am travelling alone with my child.

Trulymadlydeeply

As long as you are not going to Tunisia you should be ok..

Charlotte

Hi everyone,

Me and my tunesian husband do not have children yet, but we are thinking about it. But now I read that I can't enter or leave Tunisia with our child without his permission? That strikes me as quite strange. how does Customs know that the father of the child is Tunisian? And what if my husband for some reason does not give permission?

crazypink

Hi everyone,

Me and my tunesian husband do not have children yet, but we are thinking about it. But now I read that I can't enter or leave Tunisia with our child without his permission? That strikes me as quite strange. how does Customs know that the father of the child is Tunisian? And what if my husband for some reason does not give permission?
Hiya Charlotte, and welcome.

If you are maried then your child would take their fathers surname? Also most tunisian kids look tunisian :) If he says that you cannot leave tunisia for whatever reason with your child then the child will stay there. You have no choice in this. The law says that once in tunisia the childs tunisian nationality comes 1st - the embassy will not step in.

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Essem

Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forum Charlotte.

mand3366

Hi everyone,

Hi Charlotte and welcome!

Please read the information regarding Children and Tunisia in the link below,
http://www.reunite.org/edit/files/Islamic Resource/Tunisia Text.pdf

Although it is a few years old the information is still relevant.

M x

Trulymadlydeeply

My solicitor said to me yesterday, "You do realise you can never go back to Tunisia with *** until he is 20 years of age

I feel sorry for his TN family :(

Trulymadlydeeply

We are not in Tunisia this time and will not go there also. I 'm planning for a vacation with my baby and was thinking about those papers I have heard from other people that they said, I still need to have when I am travelling alone with my child.
Only if you are going to Tunisia!!!

I look more Tunisian then my daughter...... She's got hazel-green eyes and blondish/almost red hair (when the sun catches it), light-brown the rest of the time...... IYou know when you're pregnant and you imagine your baby?? Well, I imagined a very Arab looking baby, and was totally shocked. Lol.

feefad

Everyone kept saying we should swap babies with his brother. their baby is 3 months older than ours, has blue eyes and quite pale and thats with 2 tunisian parents. everyone said she should be mine.

Jenn1125

I am from USA and have 2 children already and am now married to a Tunisian and pregnant with his child. He also raises and fathers my children now. I am very curious to see the discipline he will give to our child vs. what he does for my children! And curious to see if my children change and what not ETC! I think this will be so positive for my children as he has so many morale's he will instill in our baby. Can;t wait to see if my children follow suit or he makes new rules! =D

Hermoso Tunis

Don't take the risk!

Hi, I was reading your post....I got married with a Tunisian man in US, got deported and I followed him to Tunis, our son was born there, and I was detained at the airport! I even lost my plain, they were rude, told me to call the father of my son. I told them I didn't had any money to call or phone, they said IS NOT OUR PROBLEM, JUST GO AND CALL HIM! FEW minutes latter they droped my laugage in front of me, with one of them ripped open with a bra hanging loooool!!! By pure miracle my ex, sister's husband was at the airport so I ran to tell him to call my ex....he had to go back to the airport, sign a bunch of papers, we had to leave the airport straight to the police station to pay a fine because they also said I was illegal in Tunis!! That ex of mine was so cheap he did NOT paid my taxes or something like that :mad:
well I end up at the airport 3 hours latter. My ex argue with them few minutes because even with his permition they did not wanted my son out of Tunis....you believe that?????????:eek:.....I was so scared!!!! I just wanted to get out of there with my son! thank God I got to put my feet on the plain!! ooooffff!! If you don't really HAVE to travel to Tunis, just don't go....don't take the risk!!! specially if you don't speak arabic....THEY DID NOT SPEAK ENGLISH AND IT WAS SOOO FRUSTRATING!! they did just to tell me, it was not their problem I had no money to call my husband! after that, ZERO english!:rolleyes:

Tunisianbelle

Hi, I was reading your post....I got married with a Tunisian man in US, got deported and I followed him to Tunis, our son was born there, and I was detained at the airport! I even lost my plain, they were rude, told me to call the father of my son. I told them I didn't had any money to call or phone, they said IS NOT OUR PROBLEM, JUST GO AND CALL HIM! FEW minutes latter they droped my laugage in front of me, with one of them ripped open with a bra hanging loooool!!! By pure miracle my ex, sister's husband was at the airport so I ran to tell him to call my ex....he had to go back to the airport, sign a bunch of papers, we had to leave the airport straight to the police station to pay a fine because they also said I was illegal in Tunis!! That ex of mine was so cheap he did NOT paid my taxes or something like that :mad:
well I end up at the airport 3 hours latter. My ex argue with them few minutes because even with his permition they did not wanted my son out of Tunis....you believe that?????????:eek:.....I was so scared!!!! I just wanted to get out of there with my son! thank God I got to put my feet on the plain!! ooooffff!! If you don't really HAVE to travel to Tunis, just don't go....don't take the risk!!! specially if you don't speak arabic....THEY DID NOT SPEAK ENGLISH AND IT WAS SOOO FRUSTRATING!! they did just to tell me, it was not their problem I had no money to call my husband! after that, ZERO english!:rolleyes:
Hi Hermoso Tunis :) There is no such thing as paying taxes for you. Had you been in Tunis longer than 4 months? Americans are only allowed to stay in Tunisia 4 months at a time without a visa or CDS (Carte de Séjour/Residence Card). Without that, you would be required to pay a fine for every week you overstayed, and they would have to give you a makeshift visa. Usually this is something they will not do on the spot, so if you were able to get it done then and there you are lucky for that.

As for the letter - this is something that is law and you are responsible for knowing before you travel. Like it or not, they have every right to detain you and deny you exit from the country if you are missing the proper documentation.

This letter, is supposed to be authorized by the beladya (municipality), is supposed to have the ID card of the father, and express written consent from him stating that he allows you to travel outside of the country with his child. If he didn't have it written out in proper form, or didn't sign it, or have his ID information, or it wasn't legalized, then they have every right to deny you exit from the country - even if the father is right there. Again, it comes down to people knowing and following the law.

When we are in other countries, like them or hate them, we fall under that countrys laws and MUST abide by them. Simply stating we didn't know the law is not good enough. It is up to the traveler to make sure they have the proper documentations.

Mrs H

If I wanted to go to Tunisia next year on my own with the baby to visit the family & H stayed here to work, what do we need to do regarding his letter of consent. I understand that if he were in Tunisia we would have to go to the municipality, but what happens in this country. Do we just go to a solicitor to have the letter certified?

Tunisianbelle

If I wanted to go to Tunisia next year on my own with the baby to visit the family & H stayed here to work, what do we need to do regarding his letter of consent. I understand that if he were in Tunisia we would have to go to the municipality, but what happens in this country. Do we just go to a solicitor to have the letter certified?
You would go to a solicitor or whoever is capable to certify documents. He would need to write a letter that lists your name, the childs name, states he is the father, and that he gives his consent to allow you to travel freely with his child alone.