Children with a Tunisian

Tunisianbelle

My ex argue with them few minutes because even with his permition they did not wanted my son out of Tunis....you believe that?????????:eek:
When we are in other countries, like them or hate them, we fall under that countrys laws and MUST abide by them. Simply stating we didn't know the law is not good enough. It is up to the traveler to make sure they have the proper documentations.
I was thinking of something else.......Did your son have a Tunisian passport? By law, since your sn was born in Tunisia, and the father of your son is Tunisian, your son is automatically considered Tunisian. According to law, all Tunisian citizens MUST enter/exit the country using their Tunisian passport. If your son did not have a Tunisian passport, that may have been another reason they were reluctant to allow him to leave the country even though his father had given permission.

My children are dual nationals and I HAVE to travel with both of their passports. Tunisia will only allow them to enter/exit using their Tunisian passport, and the USA will only allow them to enter/exit using their American passport.

Some women have said they have entered/exited on a non-Tunisian passport for their children, but it is a chance you take. It is an even bigger chance for you since your son was born here. I have seen MANY problems through the years with parents not having the proper travel documents for their kids (Tunisian passport, letter of authorization). And I hate to say it, but the authorities are cracking down, and are getting stricter now since mixed marriages are on the rise.

caley

Hi all

I think this is crazy.....i honestly think thats it awful that the authority of the male parent means more than the authority of the female parent. I could fully understand it if the children were born and brought up in Tunisia, but if your child is born in USA or UK and is brought up in the UK/USA....they should be allowed to move freely when they go on holiday to Tunisia, with or without the FATHERS permission! What happens when you get to the airport? 'Oh, those kids have got brown hair and are a bit tanned, go and check if their Tunisia and find out where the father is...' its such a joke, their MOTHER is standing right there, respect HER authority! This only works if the family and happy and all living together happily, what happens if the father isnt on the scene or if there are disagreements over anything such as money etc.......this procedures encourages the children to be used as leverage and that's not right. I sure as hell wouldnt go back to Tunisia without my husband, i can imagine getting into all kinds of problems if i didnt have a 'permission slip' and to be honest, its not worth being detained in Tunis Airport!

It astounds me, but i guess its just their culture.

aninha

really? the mother has no authority? ohhh :(

daliroya

"'Oh, those kids have got brown hair and are a bit tanned, go and check if their Tunisia and find out where the father is...' its such a joke,...."

Hi Caley,

I wanted to respond to this. I was married before to an Iranian. We had similar situations in taking the kids to Iran for family visits. They had two passports and could only leave with the permission of their father. If he had died while we were all in Iran, then we would need the permission of his older brother to leave. BEFORE I ever went to Iran or even married that man, I learned all the rules of the country. I made sure I traveled with a notarized document in both languages that gave me permission to exit the country with the children. I carried the passports at all times, along with money AND I was able to speak enough of the language, that I could have navigated my way to the American Embassy if necessary. Whether I agreed with the law was not the issue. I needed to know how to work within that law. If I did not want to take the risk, then I would be a fool to even go because it was the LAW, they were not going to change it for ME.

Having said all of that, I also want to say, that it can't be toooo strict in Tunisia. I do business in Tunisia and arrived this summer for TEXMED in Tunis. My daughter, who has an arabic name (passport states it clearly) wanted to join me because she is interested in fashion. She looks exactly like a Tunisian because people tried to speak Arabic to her throughout our stay. I am VERY pale and don't look Tunisian. We never had any problems with the authorities. They never asked one question about her origin or her paternity. Maybe we were just lucky, I don't know, but her dark hair, skin and eyes, still allowed her to travel in and out of the country 4 times (we took a ferry to Italy). Hope that calms some fears.

mand3366

Wish words Daliroya, I wish everyone would follow your example.

M x

khl

if my kids want to travel abroad they have to have their father's permission (if under 19) and i need his permission to leave the house (algerian law) lol

Trulymadlydeeply

Its all well and good to say work within the law, and I am sure that a lot of European women travelling to and from Tunisia with half Tunisian children do. Biggest problem arises when out of the blue the love of your life who may not have shown any signs of being irrational decides not to give you the authorisation to get back out with your child!! :(

That is when you have not got a hope in hell of getting anywhere, put up and shut up!!!

Cathibou

Why are some of you too stupid or stubborn to take notice of what people are telling you of their own experiences. IT WILL NOT BE DIFFERENT BECAUSE ITS YOU. IT IS AS LIKELY TO HAPPEN TO YOU AS TO ANYONE ELSE. YOU ARE NOT ABOVE THE LAW. For God's sake take off the glasses and look around you !!! I have argued my way out of Tunisia too many times in the past because I knew I could and my life was there anyway but............. not anymore my circumstances have changed and there is no way on this earth I would put my daughter in that situation or give my ex that leverage over me !

Mizz Kinza

so so so happy with my hubby n proud of our son.. both tunisian n im english :)

FoxyRoxie89

Well your son is english too :) but yeah yours was born in tunisia. I am so proud of my son too, but dont know about hubby yet as he is still there and me still here, he was ok and I was happy last time i was with him haha x

Mizz Kinza

^^^ haha u crazy ass girl.. of course he's going to be proud...
mwaaaaaaaaah

Charlotte

Hi everyone,

After some time (and pregnant now!) I have another question I hope you can help me with: how can the Tunesian father give permission for the mother to leave the country with the child? Can this just be a writen statement?

Thanks a lot!

ROULLA

Hi everyone,

After some time (and pregnant now!) I have another question I hope you can help me with: how can the Tunesian father give permission for the mother to leave the country with the child? Can this just be a writen statement?

Thanks a lot!
Hi Charlotte congratulations to you and your husband. Yes a letter would be fine with his signature and things like ID card number on even better, although saying this i also think that since they are changing everything in Tunisia then i think that they really need to also change the law on this as well, things would be much easier i think, my opinion anyway..

Trulymadlydeeply

I'm sure it has to have a famous rubber stamp on it!!!!

ROULLA

I'm sure it has to have a famous rubber stamp on it!!!!
Hi Truly mou hope that you and your family are all in good health! Yes Truly mou you are right i forgot ..You go to the beledia who stamps it for you for over a dinar.. x x

aggie

Aslema to you all
hope everybody is well , Im going to Monastir in July for 2 weeks with my girls, Im not married to they father tho we are living together in uk, we only have british pasports, I can get letter from him no probs, but would I have any problems becouse we are not married. we have been before on british pasports and had no problems but C was with us.

Some extra news I have rang Tunisian embassy tdy, spoke to 5 diferent people, and at the end a very rude man told me that C need to come to embassy and do the letter there, as we are in uk, or I should stay home , very helpfull I tell you!!!!
Does enybody traveled with letter signed in front of solicitor in uk? cos I can`t see C going to london, and I promised girls we will go to see their new baby cousin.

Thanks

aggie

Hi, is there anybody have any info pls., cos if I can`t have letter witnessed by solicitor in uk I have to get C on the train to London within next 4 weeks.
Men, why they always make simple things look complicated!

Thank you