Children with a Tunisian

Mizz Kinza

its was 18 for boys n 21 for girls.. dont know if its changed now :S ....

Enith Maldonado

I have read many of the post and I definately would like some clarification. I am American married to a Tunisian man and he has been an American citizen for the past 4 years. Unfortunately we have been separated for the past year and are in the process of finalizing our divorce. We do have a 7 year old daughter who is American as well. He is planning to move back to Tunisia and has asked that we come and visit. My daughter has not meet her grandmothers or aunts so I was considering visiting Tunisia so she could get aquainted with the other side of her family. How ever I have some reservations and would appreciate any information regarding this matter. My daughter and I do have different surnames, and I am considering adding my maiden name to hers anyhow. Would that make things easier?

Jane BM

I have read many of the post and I definately would like some clarification. I am American married to a Tunisian man and he has been an American citizen for the past 4 years. Unfortunately we have been separated for the past year and are in the process of finalizing our divorce. We do have a 7 year old daughter who is American as well. He is planning to move back to Tunisia and has asked that we come and visit. My daughter has not meet her grandmothers or aunts so I was considering visiting Tunisia so she could get aquainted with the other side of her family. How ever I have some reservations and would appreciate any information regarding this matter. My daughter and I do have different surnames, and I am considering adding my maiden name to hers anyhow. Would that make things easier?
Hi Enith and welcome to the forum, sorry it's under such circumstances.

What you need to bear in mind is that no matter where your child was born IF your child's father is Tunisian then as far as the Tunisian authorities are concerned that child is Tunisian, end of story. If you do have reservations then I personally would say don't go, don't take the risk unfortunately. If your husband chose NOT to let your child leave Tunisia at the end of your trip then by Tunisian law he is well within his rights. You would need written permission from your ex husband to exit the country with your daughter.

Please also bear in mind that at any time, your husband can obtain a Tunisian passport for your daughter from his Embassy in America without either your consent or knowledge!!

I hate to sound like a scaremonger however it happens....people think it could never happen to them...and it does.

Best of luck

Enith Maldonado

Hi Enith and welcome to the forum, sorry it's under such circumstances.

What you need to bear in mind is that no matter where your child was born IF your child's father is Tunisian then as far as the Tunisian authorities are concerned that child is Tunisian, end of story. If you do have reservations then I personally would say don't go, don't take the risk unfortunately. If your husband chose NOT to let your child leave Tunisia at the end of your trip then by Tunisian law he is well within his rights. You would need written permission from your ex husband to exit the country with your daughter.

Please also bear in mind that at any time, your husband can obtain a Tunisian passport for your daughter from his Embassy in America without either your consent or knowledge!!

I hate to sound like a scaremonger however it happens....people think it could never happen to them...and it does.

Best of luck

Enith Maldonado

Jane, Thank you so much for the warm welcome as well as the information. I did not know any of this and my ex husband seems suprised by all of this as well. I am in possesion of my daughters birth certificate, would he still be able to obtain a Tunisian passport for her without it? I am so glad that I came across this forum before I purchased tickets for our holiday. My ex husband would tell me that it would not be a problem, that our daughter is an American with an American passport that does not speak Arabic therefore we could exit the country without a problem. He thinks I am being irrational and I was beginning to think I was a s well but I now can make a decision based on facts instead of fear.

Jane BM

Jane, Thank you so much for the warm welcome as well as the information. I did not know any of this and my ex husband seems suprised by all of this as well. I am in possesion of my daughters birth certificate, would he still be able to obtain a Tunisian passport for her without it? I am so glad that I came across this forum before I purchased tickets for our holiday. My ex husband would tell me that it would not be a problem, that our daughter is an American with an American passport that does not speak Arabic therefore we could exit the country without a problem. He thinks I am being irrational and I was beginning to think I was a s well but I now can make a decision based on facts instead of fear.
Hi Enith.

You're being neither irrational nor over reacting. It happens, and unfortunately too often!

Yes i believe your husband can get your daughter a Tunisian passport without her American birth certificate. Unfortunately Tunisia make it very very easy for them! Keep your wits about you Enith. Xx

huttan

Well he might be sincere about all...but its not like he would talk against him self, IF he would have other things in mind...be careful.

Enith Maldonado

Well he might be sincere about all...but its not like he would talk against him self, IF he would have other things in mind...be careful.
True and based on our marriage he is very charming while he is been deceitful! One of the main reasons I filed for divorce. That is why I am concerned.

Enith Maldonado

Hi Enith.

You're being neither irrational nor over reacting. It happens, and unfortunately too often!

Yes i believe your husband can get your daughter a Tunisian passport without her American birth certificate. Unfortunately Tunisia make it very very easy for them! Keep your wits about you Enith. Xx

Enith Maldonado

Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate it.

janette

Thank you so much for the advice. I really appreciate it.
Jane is 100% correct Enith. The Tunisian Embassy in any country will supply the child of a Tunisian man with a valid Tunisian passport irrespective of the nationality of the mother. They are doing nothing wrong, as THAT IS THE LAW of Tunisia and once the child is in Tunisia it CANNOT leave without either being accompanied by the father, or with the written permission of the father. The mother's Embassy in Tunisia will NOT be able to help should the father refuse the permission to leave as THIS IS THE LAW of Tunisia. Please do not let anyone lull you into thinking otherwise. All best wishes

Trulymadlydeeply

Enith if you have trust issues already I wouldnt believe him when he says he wasn't aware of the rules. If it came to it and you did go the letter he needs to write is useless unless stamped at the baledya so that it is official. I bet he was surprised more by the fact that you had this information!!

There is a case in Tunisia now being fought by an american woman whose 2 children were abducted whilst on a visit with their father. They are divorced. She had gone to the Tunisian embassy in the US and shown them legal documents stating not to issue passports to the children under any circumstances. Guess what!!!!!!??? YEP they issued them to the father and he took them and she has been fighting I think over a year now to get them back and she still only manages to have visits with them one at once!!

Mrs K

Hi I just wondered what the situation with this is now, when we have children if we were to travel all together and leave all together (after visiting family) would there be any issue over the child leaving? might be a silly question but just wanted to check x

scotty_bambam

You need fathers permission.apparently divorced Tunisian women now don't but not changed for non Tunisians.

gem15

If the child's father is travelling with you there is no problem but if you were to travel alone then you would need a letter of permission stamped at the beladiya.

Enith Maldonado

Hello, it has been a few years since I last posted. My daughter is now 10, and I have been divorced for two years. I have yet to visit Tunisia and feel its the best decision under the circumstances. We Skype with my daughters aunts, and grandmother. They are welcome to visit us in Miami whenever they like.
My ex-husband moved to Tunisia for about six months and could not get use to living there. He has returned, along with a new Tunisian bride. My heart breaks for his new wife, as she is virtually a prisoner in her own home. He visits my daughter about once a month. Unfortunately they do not have a close relationship, hopefully this will change as she gets older.
I'm blessed to have a quiet life with my beautiful, half Puerto Rican and half Tunisian daughter. Life is good and I am grateful that I came across this forum before I traveled to Tunisia with my daughter.

Trulymadlydeeply

That's great to hear Enith, I'm glad you and your daughter now have a peaceful life. To be frank with you she was probably part of the plan from the beginning so don't feel sorry for her. She was probably sat waiting in the wings for your ex to get his green card....

Your daughter will make her own judgement where her father is concerned they always do.

Trulymadlydeeply

I have just cleared departures/immigration control with my 17 year old son. No permission to leave is required. His father came with us to the airport they said the law has changed she doesn't need permission to leave.

Great news for all those women who would like their children to see their grandparents without the fear of being unable to leave :D

ROULLA

I have just cleared departures/immigration control with my 17 year old son. No permission to leave is required. His father came with us to the airport they said the law has changed she doesn't need permission to leave.

Great news for all those women who would like their children to see their grandparents without the fear of being unable to leave :D
Hi Truly mou, Hope you had a wonderful holiday! Glad that WE finally have a say. .. There is one question that's always at the back of my mind,,,,Do you think that once K and Z turn 18 that they could be pulled up for the army???? Why do you think I've never got him a Tunisian passport. X X X

gem15

Apparently it was changed to all women not just Tunisian women.