Chit Chat about anything..

Mindy2

Very thought provoking comment Mindy. Thank you for your insight :)

Another example of not believing everything you hear in the news. Still doesn't explain why she was forced to have it....anyway, used it for my hw assignment today
I work in mental health, so have some understanding of the reasons as to why things happened as they did. Also because of confidentiality, the Trust etc would have only been able to give a limited explanation.

ROULLA

Did anyone see this back in December, there is also an update.
First story published on December 02, 2013 By Nottingham Post
Cotgrave mum-to-be faces giving birth alone after Tunisian husband denied UK visa

5571536-large.jpg

Mum-to-be: Amy Jelassi, 19.
A MUM-TO-BE faces giving birth without her husband by her side after he was refused a UK visa.

Amy Jelassi and her Tunisian husband, Wassim, are unable to be together because the Home Office rejected his application.
They became a couple after a holiday romance in Tunisia in September 2010.
Since then, Amy has visited the North African country three or four times a year and the pair marked their first wedding anniversary yesterday.
But border officials say they are not convinced Mr Jelassi will return to Tunisia when the holiday visa runs out.
The couple insist he will head home following the birth of their child, while they weigh up where to settle as a family.
However a court appeal against the decision is not set to be heard until the new year.

As the baby is due on December 30, Mr Jelassi, 23, could be 1,100 miles away when his daughter is born.
Mrs Jelassi, 19, of Ringleas, Cotgrave, said: "A holiday visa lasts for up to six months but they don't think he will go back and will overstay.
"They cannot judge him – they have got to give him a chance. It's just heartbreaking for us really.

"It's Wassim I feel sorry for the most. He's been told he cannot be at his daughter's birth."

The couple are keeping in contact through the internet, using Skype and Facebook.
Former Dayncourt School pupil Amy said the couple are undecided where to live long term.
She added: "We have got to see what life will be like here. At the moment we're living in two different worlds."
Mrs Jelassi has started a petition on campaign website 38Degrees and a Facebook page – both named 'Don't make me give birth to our daughter alone' – to gain support and highlight her plight.
A Home Office spokesman said: "All applications are considered on their individual merits and in line with the immigration rules.
"As there is an appeal pending in this case, it would not be appropriate to comment further."
WHEN Amy Jelassi flew out to Tunisia on holiday in September 2010, little did the 16 year old know she would meet the man of her dreams.
Three years on from enjoying a brief romance with Tunisian Wassim Jelassi, the pair are now married and expecting their first child.
But instead of planning for the arrival of their daughter next month and building a future together, the couple are living 1,100 miles apart and locked in a visa battle with the Home Office.

For Mr Jelassi, 23, remains in Tunisia after failing over the last nine months to get a holiday visa to visit the UK.
It means he faces missing the birth of his daughter, due on December 30, and missed the couple's first wedding anniversary yesterday.
Mrs Jelassi, now 19, of Ringleas, Cotgrave, said: "It's frustrating and I've been so stressed with it.

"I wouldn't wish this situation on anyone.
"I feel so disgusted and upset by it. I want the Home Office to make changes because this can't keep happening to genuine families."

Their relationship has seen Mrs Jelassi head back to Tunisia three times in 2011, and four times in 2012 for longer periods to live with Mr Jelassi.
The former pupil at Dayncourt School in Radcliffe-on-Trent gave up her job as a hairdresser to move to Tunisia last year and get married, and has split her time between Africa and the UK ever since.
She returned to Notts earlier this year in the hope that Mr Jelassi would be able to visit the UK for the first time. But his holiday visa application was refused in May, with the couple lodging an appeal in June.
That appeal was deemed unsuccessful in September, leading the couple to apply for a court hearing. That is due to be heard in Birmingham on January 30.
Border officials say they aren't convinced Mr Jelassi will return to Tunisia when the visa runs out, due to him having ties here in Notts.
But the couple say he does plan to head back to the north African country following the birth of their child, while they weigh up where to settle as a family.

Mrs Jelassi said: "A holiday visa lasts for up to six months but they don't think he will go back and will overstay.
"They cannot judge him, they have got to give him a chance. It's just heartbreaking for us really.

"It's Wassim I feel sorry for the most. He's been told he cannot be at his daughter's birth."

She added: "We have got to see what life will be like here. At the moment we're living in two different worlds.

"I feel the refusal was simply rushed, printed and given back to him."

Mrs Jelassi has started a petition on campaign website 38Degrees and a Facebook page, both named 'Don't make me give birth to our daughter alone', to gain support and highlight her plight.

She has also contacted Rushcliffe MP Ken Clarke about the case.

In correspondence with her, Mr Clarke said: "I do understand your distress at the failure of your husband to obtain a visa to visit you in time for the impending birth of your child. I am afraid, however, that I am not surprised that he is having difficulty in persuading the Immigration Office and the Borders Agency that he would actually return to Tunisia after a two-week visit, when his two brothers and his expectant wife are resident in this country."

A Home Office spokesman said: "All applications are considered on their individual merits and in line with the immigration rules.
"As there is an appeal pending in this case, it would not be appropriate to comment further."
What are the rules for entry?
THE Home Office allows visitors to the UK who need a visa to stay here for a maximum of six months.
Tunisians like Mr Jelassi are among nationals or citizens from more than 100 countries across the world that need visas to enter the UK.
Those who want to visit family members can apply to come here as visitors and be allowed to stay for up to six months.
There are also different visas available for partners of British citizens, including husbands, wives, civil partners and unmarried or same-sex partners.
Applicants must show that they and their partner are both aged 18 and that they are not related in a way that means they could not marry in UK law.
They must also be able to show that the relationship is genuine and that and marriage or civil partnership is valid in UK law
Applicants must also meet financial and English language requirements.
Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Don-t...tory-20248026-detail/story.html#ixzz2qDzuDiyg

Part 2 below
Amy's lonely labour after Home Office keeps Tunisian husband out of UK
By Nottingham Post
January 08, 2014.

• 5688110-large.jpg

Flashback: The Post front page of Monday, December 2, 2013.

• 5688111-large.jpg

Campaigner: New mum Amy Jelassi, 19, and her baby daughter, Jamila.
A TEENAGER says her husband has been left "heartbroken" after he missed the birth of their first child due to a UK visa row.

Amy Jelassi gave birth to baby daughter Jamila while husband Wassim, was 1,100 miles away in his native Tunisia.

He had to remain there after being refused a visa to attend the birth by the Home Office.

An appeal against the visa refusal is due to be heard later this month.

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Amy-s...tory-20413118-detail/story.html#ixzz2qDt5lDml

Trulymadlydeeply

I had seen the original story, but hadn't heard the follow up. They have a lovely daughter.

Jane BM

I've seen this before on my FB...didn't know she'd had the baby though.

So young...both of them is the first thing that springs to mind. They do have choices however...she's lived in Tunisia with him before, we've members here who live in Tunisia with their partners and manage fine bringing up their children there.

Can't see the holiday visa being revoked unless the adverse publicity it seems to get will affect the decision. Or unless her husbands personal circumstances in Tunisia change dramatically.

Perhaps yet another salutary tale to focus people's minds a little more...it's all well and good falling madly in love with a guy from another country, but really, you really really need to start thinking of the practicalities..why do people have babies when their home life or relationship isn't where it should be yet? I know accidents happen but why would you take the risk if you're not prepared emotionally or financially to bring the child up alone.

This is nothing personal against the girl above who I don't know, but I get a little sick to death of people automatically assuming that they have every right to have their partner here because they're pregnant!!

janette

I've seen this before on my FB...didn't know she'd had the baby though.

So young...both of them is the first thing that springs to mind. They do have choices however...she's lived in Tunisia with him before, we've members here who live in Tunisia with their partners and manage fine bringing up their children there.

Can't see the holiday visa being revoked unless the adverse publicity it seems to get will affect the decision. Or unless her husbands personal circumstances in Tunisia change dramatically.

Perhaps yet another salutary tale to focus people's minds a little more...it's all well and good falling madly in love with a guy from another country, but really, you really really need to start thinking of the practicalities..why do people have babies when their home life or relationship isn't where it should be yet? I know accidents happen but why would you take the risk if you're not prepared emotionally or financially to bring the child up alone.

This is nothing personal against the girl above who I don't know, but I get a little sick to death of people automatically assuming that they have every right to have their partner here because they're pregnant!!

You took the words right out of my mouth Jane. It is all well and good following one's heart, but the ladies who get involved with foreign men, really need to do their homework before making such huge decisions. The Home Office had altered many of the rules re foreign spouses simply because the former rules were abused time and time again ------- and quite rightly changed in my opinion.

Last edited:

ROULLA

Good afternoon everyone hope that you are all well!

It seem even if your a nun, you feel frisky at times:D

Nun who gave birth in Italy 'unaware of pregnancy'
_72351152_72363874.jpg

Nuns at the same convent were equally surprised

A nun who gave birth to a baby boy in the central Italian city of Rieti, said she had no idea she was pregnant, local media report.

The 31-year-old was rushed to hospital with abdominal pains, which she thought were stomach cramps.

The young mother, who is originally from El Salvador, reportedly named her newborn Francis after the current Pope.

The mayor of Rieti, Simone Petrangeli has appealed to the public and media to respect the woman's privacy.

The news has drawn international attention to the small city of 47,700 inhabitants.

The nun called the ambulance on Wednesday morning. A few hours later she gave birth to a healthy baby boy.

"I did not know I was pregnant. I only felt a stomach pain," she was quoted as saying by the Ansa news agency.

People at the hospital have begun collecting clothes and donations for the mother and her child, Italian media say.

The woman belongs to a convent near Rieti, which manages an old people's home.

Fellow nuns at the convent said they were "surprised" by the news.

Local pastor Don Fabrizio Borrello told journalists that the nun planned to take care of the baby.

"I guess she's telling the truth when she says she arrived at the hospital unaware of the pregnancy".

Jane BM

Well a few things I could say about this article Roulla...lol...though it's pure speculation..:rolleyes:

Whilst I don't know the people involved, I do know the Catholic Church...lol..

Now assuming it's NOT one of the old fellas from the old folks home and assuming she doesn't go out dating!!

Either one of the 'pastors' has had his wicked way and they've squared it with God. OR it could always have been an immaculate conception....there's a history of it..:p. I just hope this town doesn't now become a pilgrimage site for people who are desperate for a child!! Hoping for a miracle.

Joking aside I wish both her and her baby the best and I hope the Catholic Church look after them both, it must be very daunting for someone who apart from an indiscretion somewhere has lived and breathed the life of a nun to suddenly find herself thrown into a whole different way of living.

Aslemma

Of course all any of us can do is speculate but I don't think it was an immaculate conception. :rolleyes: I also rather doubt that she had a secret affair, though of course it's quite possible. I think she could have been a very naive girl who probably went into the convent when she was very young and was taken advantage of by someone in authority who she trusted. Of course there is still the possibility that it could have been one of the old fellas from the home, as men can still father children late in life.

Jane BM

Of course all any of us can do is speculate but I don't think it was an immaculate conception. :rolleyes: I also rather doubt that she had a secret affair, though of course it's quite possible. I think she could have been a very naive girl who probably went into the convent when she was very young and was taken advantage of by someone in authority who she trusted. Of course there is still the possibility that it could have been one of the old fellas from the home, as men can still father children late in life.
:eek::eek::eek:...are you saying you don't believe in the immaculate conception Aslemma???:p:p:p....that's 10 Hail Marys for you!!

Essem

Staff member

Immaculate conception ...... more like bad 'habits' :D;)

lynn

I just can't accept it when someone says they never knew they were pregnant... how can someone not feel different and movement in their stomach...come on and morning sickness ..

Jellycat

Yes it is hard to believe or the women must be a bit dense but I suppose for a tiny minority they have no symptoms. I wouldn't have minded missing out on the nausea, indegestion, exhaustion and breathlessness. Thank goodness it was worth it.

gem15

I was very lucky indeed with no sickness at all but i know someone who never knew they were pregnant as the baby was stuck behind the ribs. Not everyone has the "typical" symptoms such as morning sickness etc!

Jane BM

I remember many years ago a friend of mine at the time had no clue she was pregnant until she started labour....that was a bit of a shocker for her mother as she was still at home.....:eek:

lynn

Just wondering where is Neil and where is Salim have they both packed their bags and left?

cinders

a random question here folks but does anyone know of a tennis venue with atleast six courts
from PEK - Sousse area ? dont know where else to look on the forum direction welcome :)

Essem

Staff member
Not sure how many courts but Marhaba Palace, PEK, has tennis courts, as does Tej Marhaba or you could try HS tennis club.

cinders

Not sure how many courts but Marhaba Palace, PEK, has tennis courts, as does Tej Marhaba or you could try HS tennis club.
thanx essem i will check out when im there cheers

mrsmannai

making some reflections about my life, i was so irritated about the weather when i looked out this morning, felt rather grumpy to be honest. grey, raining, on top of the snow making it so slippery that to walk and drive will be arggghhhhh!! then i did make coffee, turned on the news , and it was from Syria, and the situation in the country, and all the refugees, children, womans, the weekest....... OMG shame on me, here i was woken up by a kiss on the cheek by my 4yr old daughter, in peace, i can go to fix my coffee, in peace, sitting in peace, with no worries how to feed my kid, how to make her warm, clean, and clothes on her body, have the privilige to actually take my remote and CHANGE CHANNEL if it gets to much for me...and i am grumpy for the weather!!!!, really, alhamdoulillah for my life, family, and all the priviliges given to me, and GOD bless those who really in need(and the rest of you)

ROULLA

making some reflections about my life, i was so irritated about the weather when i looked out this morning, felt rather grumpy to be honest. grey, raining, on top of the snow making it so slippery that to walk and drive will be arggghhhhh!! then i did make coffee, turned on the news , and it was from Syria, and the situation in the country, and all the refugees, children, womans, the weekest....... OMG shame on me, here i was woken up by a kiss on the cheek by my 4yr old daughter, in peace, i can go to fix my coffee, in peace, sitting in peace, with no worries how to feed my kid, how to make her warm, clean, and clothes on her body, have the privilige to actually take my remote and CHANGE CHANNEL if it gets to much for me...and i am grumpy for the weather!!!!, really, alhamdoulillah for my life, family, and all the priviliges given to me, and GOD bless those who really in need(and the rest of you)

Hi Mrsmannai, hope that you and your family are all well!
Yes we don't realize how lucky we really are, even when things go wrong but these kind of things can be fixed, I suppose we have to have a moan about something now and again.
When I think about it though we really have nothing to moan about, although saying that the only thing that I don't stop moaning about in life is how lucky these people are in the UK that just sit back and do f all and get paid by the government, whilst the rest of us work and struggle to get by:( now that really does p me off , big time