Chit Chat about anything..

annh

Prices depends a lot on what you want to buy and where you buy it.
For example: If you buy in the supermarket local brands it will be always much cheaper than in Europe. If you want to buy 'Western' brands you will pay the same or a bit more than in Europe. Fruit and vegetables are mostly cheaper and of better quality on the market or in a local shop than in the supermarket. But a bottle of water will always be cheaper in the supermarket....

Essem

Staff member
No prices either comparable or less but few people on here will tell you specifics. I have never felt food prices hiked for non nationals but Essem has mentioned recently to watch your change.

Tonight in PEK, at Cafe Soleil, we asked for a citron and a coffee. My friend wanted a weak coffee with a little more milk and served in a glass. Waiter asked me if I wanted a tall glass, I said yes.

Coffee and citron were lovely - bill was 11.500 TD!!!!!!!!!!!

Reason - served in tall glass means double which is double the price of the item!

Wordmongering!

Be very careful when ordering!

We did complain and owner asked us back tomorrow for a fruit cocktail - between us! Wouldn't waste the petrol....................

Essem

Staff member
Hi All,
Hello from a soggy UK, I hope this finds you all well. Not long to Decembe,r when we are out there for a few weeks.
Can anyone give me an idea of the relative food and consumables prices in Tunisia in comparison to the Eurozone/UK. I understand that in addition to the local markets there are now some major european supermarkets. Do the local market prices get hiked much for the unsuspecting caucasian purchaser ?

Hi Johnnliz

I've recnelty taken pix (on our tunisia,com facebook pages) of Mercure, Magasin General etc and you can see the products and some prices on there too.

Usually the local markets have prices shown on cards above products they are selling so if you know the weight of fruit and veg for example you can easily work it out.

Very limited european consumable even in carfour and they are expensive,eg frozen fish fingers are about £5 for pack of 10.There arre lots of Tunisian foods and the price is really good.Fruit and veg unbelievably cheap and fantastically fresh as they are all in season.Hair products are available even in the small supermarkets and again with choice and price similar to europe and lots of same brands.Sun products very expensive so would advise to bring.In the souk watch what tunisians pay or ask them how much they paid.People are very courteous and when we first arrived here would actually tell the market seller to stop overcharging us and help with translating if we were unsure of names etc.I find standing beside someone who is buying what I want and saying Kifkif (same) works as well as anything.

newtosousse

Tonight in PEK, at Cafe Soleil, we asked for a citron and a coffee. My friend wanted a weak coffee with a little more milk and served in a glass. Waiter asked me if I wanted a tall glass, I said yes.

Coffee and citron were lovely - bill was 11.500 TD!!!!!!!!!!!

Reason - served in tall glass means double which is double the price of the item!

Wordmongering!

Be very careful when ordering!

We did complain and owner asked us back tomorrow for a fruit cocktail - between us! Wouldn't waste the petrol....................

I wonder whether that is the same place where I had a fruit cocktail and it was 7 dinar! He didn't give me a receipt, and I am sure he ripped me off, as I had been to Mahdia, a couple of days before, and three of us had fruit cocktails, and the bill came to 6 dinar. The chap who served me had grey hair, and he was trying to get people to come into the cafe as you walked into the marina.

Marie1959

I have always managed to find food that I have wanted at very reasonable prices to be honest having a Double coffee in Sousse costing me 4 dinar never any more. Where my family live it is cheaper but thats a small village down south.
The chocolate from Europe is more expensive than the local stuff but the local Chocolate is not bad at all. Eggs bread and what I calkl staple foods are very cheap and I have had fish fingers costing alot less then £5 for a pkt of 10 just guess its the same as here shop around I am sure you will find what you need at a very reasonable price.

Essem

Staff member
I wonder whether that is the same place where I had a fruit cocktail and it was 7 dinar! He didn't give me a receipt, and I am sure he ripped me off, as I had been to Mahdia, a couple of days before, and three of us had fruit cocktails, and the bill came to 6 dinar. The chap who served me had grey hair, and he was trying to get people to come into the cafe as you walked into the marina.

Sounds like it - first cafe on the left hand side as you go around the corner just beyond the alomnd seller - 'Soleil'.

Essem

Staff member
Hi Johnnliz

JUst bought a few things from my local Monoprix. Prices as follows:

Bread - brown sliced pain de campagne - .860millimes
15 fresh eggs 2.290
Carton Orange Juice 1.790
Schweppes pineapple juice (large bottle) 1.400
Carton guava juice 1.400
Small baguette - .350 millimes
Cans of soft drinks - boga .590

newtosousse

Sounds like it - first cafe on the left hand side as you go around the corner just beyond the alomnd seller - 'Soleil'.

I am going to take a photo of that place on my next trip.;)

caveatemptor

They advertise beer, but it is the no-alcohol version. If you go there study their menu outside and specify to the waiter the size of drink you want.

Essem

Staff member
Saw a few drinking beer - thought it was the 'real thing'!

kassie

Just got to thinking.....does this have a bearing on where you are "today?"....I think....in retrospect....for me it does! I would believe it does for most ppl on this site? Tell... is this right or wrong?:eek:......and....how many ppl would believe this???:eek:

haha....probably will be non response :eek:

xxx

crazypink

I have no regrets - a life lived with regrets is a life not lived!! You should live by the choices you make in life, be they right or wrong, and accept whatever that also brings. I have made some good and some bad decisions in life but i stand by them all - they make me who i am today.

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

kassie

I have no regrets - a life lived with regrets is a life not lived!! You should live by the choices you make in life, be they right or wrong, and accept whatever that also brings. I have made some good and some bad decisions in life but i stand by them all - they make me who i am today.

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

Nice answer CP.... When I say I have ....it is "wasted" years with EX!...I gave my all...because that is how it was meant to be!

Now.....I am very happy ;)....I lived, learned ...and LIVE again! :D

xxx

C

Cas

Not regrets but once in a while wonder how things would have been if my path had gone in the opposite direction, not eastwards towards the mountains, a wayward teen.

missmetal

I too have regrets with the EX, the time wasted and the way i was treated. The amount of hurt he caused me emotionally. But I've always tried to make the most outta life and see/do as much as I can.

Essem

Staff member
Time us never wasted when lessons are learned. If we hadn't spent that time 'learning' we mgiht not be where we are today!

Never regret something that once made you smile and never regret anything because at some point you wanted it!

FoxyRoxie89

I believe in what Essem says, everything you have done was/is a stepping stone to where you are, or are going!

MellieC

I believe in what Essem says, everything you have done was/is a stepping stone to where you are, or are going!

one forward and 2 back sometimes!

its the journey thats interesting in the end, not the destination?

I dont regret anything, as decisions and choices were made with the resouces at THAT time, but like Cas, do sometimes wonder how different thngs might bave been had i chosen a different path ~
and occassionally wish i had hindsight as foresight, but then no lessons would ever be learnt!

Marie1959

I have no regrets as such just sometimes wish I has made diff decisions but the ones I have made right or wrong have made me the person I am today and I am happy with who I am