Converting to Islam

missmetal

She was born Muslim, all babies are born Muslim, its then down to the parents if they "give" their child a religion. Thats what Islam teaches us. I love the fact that you have talked about this and understand that as her father is Muslim she should be raised Muslim. (we have talked about this many times before) There are alot of very good Islamic guides for children. Do you have any Islamic book stores local to you? They have some great ones in Manchester!
They are born Muslim if thats what you believe in, I dont. Hubby will probably believe the kid is mulsim too when we have one. Despite our discussions that they can choose, i know he will change. If it becomes an issue, I will insist that they are christian then. As far as Im concerned they are nothing until they choose to be, when they are old enough to decide for themselves.

missmetal

I can only speak for myself and my husband (he has never tasted alcohol and always followed his religion) I also fail to understand how someone calls themself muslim yet does not follow their religion. Lip service! Its easy to say you are muslim - quite different to actually practising.

But those who only do the "lip service" of their religion have to answer for that to Allah - he is the only one who can judge us.
Guess the same is true for those who call themselve Christians and do all sorts of horrible stuff. Catholic Priests come to mind, the Evangalists also LOL!

missmetal

Nobody knows what will happen to us when we finally meet our maker, and i doubt very much that everyone has led a blameless life, however, in my belief God/Allah, whoever you may choose to believe or follow is a kind and graceful God, and i think if people live their lifes with respect, dignity, kindness to others and follow the basic principles of humanity then they will have fulfilled both themselves and those around them. I think the principles in most religions are loosely based around this, that and to have FAITH.
I so agree! I just wish the uber religious would realise this.

lynn

My Daughter has been married 8 years to my son in law, he is muslim she christian and I have a grandaughter who is brought up christian, my son in law says he is happy that she is christian as he enjoys the christian life but stil he respects his family religion, just goes to show that you can have 2 religions in a relationship. :) it's all about give and take.

Reba1986

My Daughter has been married 8 years to my son in law, he is muslim she christian and I have a grandaughter who is brought up christian, my son in law says he is happy that she is christian as he enjoys the christian life but stil he respects his family religion, just goes to show that you can have 2 religions in a relationship. :) it's all about give and take.
Exactly, no one should have it forced down their throat

lynn

Exactly, no one should have it forced down their throat
I agree and I would'nt let anyone either, we all have our own choices and kids will make their own choices too when their ready

Milk

I agree that no one should pose their believes on others but then we raise our children, we pose our values and believes on them everyday. We need to or they will grow up to be disfuctional human beings who have no respect for themselves or others. Children will grow up doing only 10% of what they see us doing. If they don't see us praying, worshiping God or taking them to church then they won't do it when they are older. We have beautiful churches around the world that are empty because the generation before us thought it not important to teach their children the importance of attending. As our children grow, it will be worse as this generation of adults believe that we shouldn't pose our believes on our kids, that anything goes and it's better to teach them to grow up to become who they want to be and do what they want to do. Then we wonder why there is so much crime in this world and so many dishonest people. Marriages breaking up and people who think it's OK to use women for Visas and money. I wonder what would happen to these men/women even 60 years ago who tried such dishonest practices?

Trulymadlydeeply

60 years ago there were not so many different cultures here. We have had this discussed before I now but IMO we are now so scared of being called racist that Great Britain has lost its values..kids not allowed to have Nativity plays unless it is a Church school, but bring homes sweets they have made for Diwali???? I agree they should learn about ALL religions it opens their eyes and minds, but we have lost our own along the way with our money grabbing Government!!!!!

Jane BM

And children should be taught to be not only tolerant of each others religions, but embrace it. ALL faiths, all religions! look at the similarities as opposed to the differences......

As TMD has said 60 years ago this country was a very different place to what it is now and we have now become SO politically correct over the last 20 years or so and lost our identity along the way.

I do agree though, and i think the footfall in churches across the UK has reduced dramatically over the years...as a child it was part of sunday, CHURCH. Not so anymore......

Milk

I thought this was only in North America that people have become so politically correct that people have become afraid to speak out.

People are starting to stand up and in fact, the government is starting to listen, trying to keep Canadian laws and traditions in Canada. Yes, children should be taught to be tolerant of others but not at the expense of their own identity and family traditions. Most schools were forbidden to name the plays "Christmas Play" but this year especially I have noticed they went back to calling them as they are. Parents are starting to speak out, I'm one of them, I am offended by not having someone say "Merry Christmas" to me because it may offend someone else. I have lived in Canada all my live, a Country that was founded on Christian believes and celebrated Christmas for decades. I'm offended/mad that it's against the law to carry a blade longer then an inch on you, yet Sikh children are allowed to take daggers to school for religious purposes. What is up with that??? It's a shame to the people that their government is crumbling and not speaking out.

I am to old to start being politically correct and don't attend to be. It's not teaching our kids to stand up for their rights, to have confidence and teaching them to doubt their thinking. Fear will grow very deep in the next generation to the point government will be able to do what they want and no one will be able to do anything about it, if people don't speak out.

I encourage people all the time to speak out. If your going to complain, then stand up for your rights. If enough people complain then things do change. Don't be afraid. If people get offended, that's their issue.

Jane BM

Well said Raindrops 2000, think a lot of people will totally agree with you. I think even our own Government now are starting to realise the errors of the past god knows how many years but it is going to take time now to change WITHOUT offending someone or other.....or being branded racist which personally i think is a word that is bandied around far too easily (its a cop out!).

Milk

at the end of the day as long as you do good and be good it's all good,, be nice to one another be helpful to one another and our maker will see appropriate what ever religion we all have 1 god.Amen.

Are you really sure? It's a great life to do good and be good...But are you sure that will be enough to get into Heaven? Or wouldn't it be worth once time, to actually get to know who Jesus is, and know what he did for everyone, so you'll be able to enter into the Pearly Gates? Me, personally, wouldn't want to get there and God says "Depart from me for I did not know you" It will be hard to convince God any other way.

For example. You have someone who kills someone, they are a good person, they did an act out of anger, being drunk...Other then this act they are a good person, lives a life of helping people, respecting people. I wouldn't want them to be in heaven, unless they had some sort of payment. They were judged, whether that be on earth or in Heaven. I would like to see them be forgiven through the forgiveness of Jesus so that they can enter into Heaven. Not on the fact that they were a good person. Their is no payment in that. Jesus died on a cross to be the payment of sin, so that people can ask for forgiveness, no matter what the act was. If you live your life on the basis of being good to enter, then what was the sense of Jesus dying on the cross as a sinless man?

lynn

Your entitled to your opinion, but don't preach the Bilble to me hun, I am old enough to know my religion and what I belive in !

Jane BM

This is where we differ slightly, i was christened a Catholic, although quite obviously im not a practising Catholic... however i do think people get too preoccupied by 'what comes after'. I dont think people should worry too much about whats after (am sure some will vehemently disapprove of that!), its this lifetime that is important to me right now and how we live our lives in the here and now...the after that will take care of itself and if people have lived the kind of life that we described before with humility, respect, dignity etc then really there should be nothing to worry about..............

Jane BM

Thats not to you Lynn, just in case you think it is, im replying to Raindrops. x

lynn

Thats not to you Lynn, just in case you think it is, im replying to Raindrops. x
I think the same to be honest, I really don't live my daily life by religion, I'm happy I don't hurt anyone thats good enough for me and if no1 likes it , well thats up to them they have their own life and can do as they want, at the end of the day we are all human beings and choose which and what we want..

Milk

I myself don't live by religion. I live by a relationship with God. Religion hurts people in many ways.

Eternity is a loooong time to not even consider it. Don't dwell on it but know that it does exist for everyone.

Everyone is allowed their opinion. I give my opinion by experience. My son was killed by someone 3 years ago. He will never know his children, we will never receive another hug from him on earth. I have forgiven this young man but he will never get caught. My son augured with someone at a gas station who had a knife. Personally, I would hope that if this person doesn't receive judgement on Earth then he will receive it in front of his maker. Eternity is a long time for someone, who doesn't ask for forgiveness.

To think that this man can turn his life to good after realizing what he did and then he'll go to Heaven... I would hope that this wouldn't happen because then all those who do strive to be good, it's a waste of time, because if someone who commits murder can just enter into heaven for changing their life around for the better, there's no justice in that.

lynn

I myself don't live by religion. I live by a relationship with God. Religion hurts people in many ways.

Eternity is a loooong time to not even consider it. Don't dwell on it but know that it does exist for everyone.

Everyone is allowed their opinion. I give my opinion by experience. My son was killed by someone 3 years ago. He will never know his children, we will never receive another hug from him on earth. I have forgiven this young man but he will never get caught. My son augured with someone at a gas station who had a knife. Personally, I would hope that if this person doesn't receive judgement on Earth then he will receive it in front of his maker. Eternity is a long time for someone, who doesn't ask for forgiveness.

To think that this man can turn his life to good after realizing what he did and then he'll go to Heaven... I would hope that this wouldn't happen because then all those who do strive to be good, it's a waste of time, because if someone who commits murder can just enter into heaven for changing their life around for the better, there's no justice in that.
sorry to hear about your son, who knows what happens when we meet our maker , no1 knows until the time comes I'm sure your son is looking over you and you can find some comfort in knowing he is there waiting until ur turn comes and u are reunited xx

Jane BM

Thats tragic.......for all of you and im truly sorry for the loss of your son....must be devastating...for all of you..

I believe though that God/Allah whoever it is that meets us, whether you feel its right or wrong is not seeking justice........justice SHOULD be dealt with in this life (unfortunately, like in your sons case this maybe will never happen), i think with God/Allah its about repentance.....i believe, and i stress this is just my belief that if you have paid for your sins on earth, and more importantly repented for your sins on earth that we enter 'Heaven' as equals.

Im sure though that if i was in your situation i would probably feel entirely different about this...id probably even question if there was a God!!! but being more detached from it i see it as an outsider maybe would. I hope i havent offended you and i dont mean to at all. xx

lynn

Thats tragic.......for all of you and im truly sorry for the loss of your son....must be devastating...for all of you..

I believe though that God/Allah whoever it is that meets us, whether you feel its right or wrong is not seeking justice........justice SHOULD be dealt with in this life (unfortunately, like in your sons case this maybe will never happen), i think with God/Allah its about repentance.....i believe, and i stress this is just my belief that if you have paid for your sins on earth, and more importantly repented for your sins on earth that we enter 'Heaven' as equals.

Im sure though that if i was in your situation i would probably feel entirely different about this...id probably even question if there was a God!!! but being more detached from it i see it as an outsider maybe would. I hope i havent offended you and i dont mean to at all. xx
Jane you have such a nice way of putting things and getting the point across...well educated !