Decree absolute from Tunisia required to remarry. Please help

Sue ajmi

New Member
I was divorced from my Tunisian husband almost 20 years ago. I now wish to remarry in Ireland. I am a British citizen. In order to remarry I need a decree absolute from the court of Souisse as my ex husbands birth cert detailing the divorce is not accepted here. I desperately need help to obtain a legal document. Can you help please?


From my understanding, If you're registered divorced in the UK then you can remarry. If it is Southern Ireland(Ireland) I don't know.
You need to get your divorce papers from Tunisia as your husband birth certificate is no good here or even in Tunisia. To get the divorce papers in Tunisia I guess you have to get them from the municipality(registry office/town hall) or the court in Tunisia.

Good luck.


Forgot to say. You can get them from the town hall where you got married if they still exist. They should hopefully have a record.


Staff member
So i take it your divorce was in Tunisia presumably due to your husband divorcing you in absentia (ie divorce without you being there).

I take it your divorce is not registered in the UK either.

It should be a case of instructing a translator like Ramzi

He or another can go to the reg office and get a copy and sent it to you along with a court certified translation.