Divorce - about to or have divorced a Tunisian

Trulymadlydeeply

Lettylou I presume you live here together? If so I would divorce him here then all you need to do. Is register the divorce at the municipality where you married in Tunisia..

lettylou

He got his ilr last May and left 3 months after, it's mutual decision and there's nothing to split no children property or money that's y I'm letting his sister represent me, we married in sousse and the court hearing is in sousse, we are getting the divorce there as it's quicker easier and cheaper (he's paying!) but Im unsure if he has to register it with the embassy to stand over here! I no you can't get it revoked on a relationship ending but if t

lettylou

Not sure y it lost half my msg, if the sole purpose of him marrying me was to get a visa and ilr surely you can?

Jane BM

Not sure y it lost half my msg, if the sole purpose of him marrying me was to get a visa and ilr surely you can?
But what proof do you have? Once they've got their ILR there's very very little that can be done. Also if the marriage ended by mutual consent then it was something you've also wanted?

Scottochott

I think the clue is in the name...INDEFINITE leave to remain, and as Jane says if you're saying mutual consent and letting it go through easily in Tunisia, what grounds do you really have? You have my sympathy, my blood boils every time I hear of another example of a liar and cheat who takes advantage of our system. Maybe talk to your MP?

lettylou

Without airing it all on here I have proof, I'm letting it go through easily as I don't want to face the 'consequences' if I don't, again this situation adds more proof!

Salsa Girl

Hi Lettylou, To answer your questions , you dont have to register your divorce at the british embassy in tunisia .... and to answer your second question once they have leave ILR it means exactly that ...... INDEFINATE .leave to remain in the uk ..... Just something to think about if you are both living in the uk it would be quicker to divorce here you can download the papers ..fill them in and post them off to your local family court ... if you have no children together ...no assets.. eg. house or money its straightforward you dont even have to attend court and its not expensive ...... I dont understand why you would agree to trust your sister-in -law to represent you in a tunisian court ..... Bit of advice DO IT YOURSELF .... good luck xx

Jane BM

Without airing it all on here I have proof, I'm letting it go through easily as I don't want to face the 'consequences' if I don't, again this situation adds more proof!
To be honest if you've got proof then it really should have been raised before his ILR....and I have to echo everyone else's thoughts, if this man has been so devious as to use you to obtain a visa, why would you trust his sister to handle your divorce?

Jellycat

So when you filled in your bit of the ILR form a few months ago you thought you were in a genuine subsisting relationship? Were there no signs? From what I have read on immigration topics the chances of having ILR revoked are virtually zero so best to try and move on and hope he gets his come uppance due to Karma. Be thankful he can't take half your house, hasn't got you to take out a bank loan for your dream villa over in Tunisia or can't snatch your child.

Essem

Staff member
Does he work lettylou?

Essem

Staff member
Has he threatened you or been violent Lettylou?

Trulymadlydeeply

Maybe you could go down the road of saying you were forced to sign the forms for his ILR.. If you have proof of other things worth a try I suppose. I still wouldn't let his sister deal with the divorce!

missmetal

With no kids and assets, divorce is really easy in the UK and since he's not contesting then he should have no contest in getting it done there either.
If it were me, i would hold off on the divorce and prove the evidence to the UKVI to see what you can do about that visa.

DARK ANGEL

you gave him the opportunity to get his ILR so as many members said you can't revoked his ilr ! I agree with TLR , divorce him in the UK , if he think to remarry again he need to do like another divorce in Tunisia, so change his plan and divorce him in the uk , !

Last edited:

Essem

Staff member
And,quite honestly, marriage should now be made more difficult.

It's just far too easy for these guys. And women who marry then and bring them to the UK etc should take some responsibility

This country is going to be left with a load of wannabe users, some very violent and controlling from what we have read, who will probably go on to wreak havoc with more unsuspecting women, in the name of everlasting love :rolleyes:

Trulymadlydeeply

You could be onto something there essem, maybe proof of an existing relationship with actual meetings before permission to marry is granted say a 2 year period. This is not aimed at you LL I'm talking generally.

Jane BM

I agree, however the UK is a multicultural society and with that comes different faiths obviously. Arranged marriages and the like, which we know in certain societies is perfectly the norm and isn't illegal. They often don't know each other prior to marriage and one of the spouses is foreign. Human rights brigades would be out in force. Very difficult to legislate.

missmetal

I agree, however the UK is a multicultural society and with that comes different faiths obviously. Arranged marriages and the like, which we know in certain societies is perfectly the norm and isn't illegal. They often don't know each other prior to marriage and one of the spouses is foreign. Human rights brigades would be out in force. Very difficult to legislate.
I agree, but we could change the rules as it's still Britian. I don't think it's unreasonable to as for evidence of meeting, or that it goes again any religion. Arrangement marriages are more cultural than religious. Even in Islam there are certain rules that are met to allow the couples meeting and chaperones are allowed on meetings too.

However I think they will find new loop holes to get away with not having to meet.

Jane BM

I agree, but we could change the rules as it's still Britian. I don't think it's unreasonable to as for evidence of meeting, or that it goes again any religion. Arrangement marriages are more cultural than religious. Even in Islam there are certain rules that are met to allow the couples meeting and chaperones are allowed on meetings too.

However I think they will find new loop holes to get away with not having to meet.
Part of the criteria already is that the couple has a genuine and subsisting relationship and they have to have met...so in a way it's covered.

But I don't think putting a time frame on how long you've known someone before marriage could be legislated for.

missmetal

Part of the criteria already is that the couple has a genuine and subsisting relationship and they have to have met...so in a way it's covered.

But I don't think putting a time frame on how long you've known someone before marriage could be legislated for.
Ya, thats probably true...since some marriages have lasted for 40yrs and they met the day they married and others known each other for 5yrs and got divorced after a year of marriage. There's no formula for a successful marriage, but for immigration purposes that can at least request that they meet.