Divorce in Tunisian court vs UK court

Sosh

I am in the middle of divorcing my husband.
His conditions for agreeing to the divorce were that
1) I pay for it, 'since it was a decision I made on my own to rip us apart'
2) we divorce in Tunisia rather than the UK

I agreed to pay what the divorce would cost in the UK (£650), and any other costs are his.
The reason for wanting to divorce in Tunisia, he says, is that even after getting divorced in the UK, he would be tied up in court for years trying to get it recognised in Tunisia.
It's too late to do anything differently now, but is this actually the case?
I keep thinking we could be divorced now if I'd gone through the UK courts, whereas 2 years later, we just had the reconciliation hearing today (he attended alone) and the final hearing set for 15th November.
The lawyer I have paid for is absolutely useless, and nobody reads or replies to emails. I feel so out of the loop and hate that I have to rely on him to sort this out.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Without full information its difficult to say.

RamziD the official forum translator works with good lawyers and translates everything for folks..... you have to read what you sign.

ATM there is so much covid and political problems in Tunisia its nearly impossible to get much done though tbf the government was dissolved yesterday.

Sosh

I haven't signed anything. I got an invitation to attend the last hearing but said I couldn't attend for obvious reasons. Husband attended and was told the next hearing would be in November.
I have paid around 2,500 TND to my husband to pay the lawyer. I don't know how much a lawyer should cost but this was all I was willing to pay, otherwise it becomes more expensive than doing it in the UK.

Sosh

I was more just wondering if anyone knows what would happen if I had just gone through the UK courts.
Would he have to do anything in Tunisia to get it recognised?
Seems like a bit of an exaggeration that he would be 'tangled up in court for the next 4 years', but also quite believable considering how nothing ever happens quickly in Tunisia.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I was more just wondering if anyone knows what would happen if I had just gone through the UK courts.
Would he have to do anything in Tunisia to get it recognised?
Seems like a bit of an exaggeration that he would be 'tangled up in court for the next 4 years', but also quite believable considering how nothing ever happens quickly in Tunisia.

Could have taken his decree disi there and registered it.

I do nto see the issue if both parties agreed.

As for time things can be quicker in Tunisia sometimes assuming in UK it can be years if no fault/disputed.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't signed anything. I got an invitation to attend the last hearing but said I couldn't attend for obvious reasons. Husband attended and was told the next hearing would be in November.
I have paid around 2,500 TND to my husband to pay the lawyer. I don't know how much a lawyer should cost but this was all I was willing to pay, otherwise it becomes more expensive than doing it in the UK.

It depends if he has top lawyers on it or cheapo ones on it.

Assuming its all mutually agreed then it sounds about right given translations etc etc if there are some but could be a bit dearer than normal.

I also assume that you will get a decri nisi at the end and translated that you can use in the UK to update things here.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Out of interest did you get married in Tunisia or UK and if the marriage registered there?

Sosh

We got married in Tunisia in May 2019. As far as I'm aware it was both a legal and religious marriage (I was told Tunisia will not do a religious marriage without the legal one to protect women's rights?).
I am just hoping that the hearing in November is the last step where we are declared divorced and after that it's just waiting for paperwork to arrive.