Divorce

melissandra

Hi, Can anyone give me advice on how I can find out if my Tunisian husband has divorced me legally in Tunisia? I didn't attend reconciliation session but sent letter to his lawyer giving permission to divorce. I found out on Facebook that my ex is engaged to a Tunisian girl (bet he had her lined up all along eh!) When I challenged him by text he said he did divorce in Tunisia & if I want papers sent to England I have to pay him half total cost of divorce! How do I get divorce recognised in UK please?? Bonus was, at least he never got his British passport or financial gain!;) #nevereveragain!!

DARK ANGEL

Hi melissandra , welcome to our forum , don't worry hun , if u want to get ur divorce ,as first step u need to check his birth certificate and from it u can know when he divorced u then u can go to the court to take ur legal paper , u can use a lawyer too !For ur ex don't give him any money never ! Also i advice to see what ladies here said , as i know about legal things in Tunisia i am not an expert for things in the uk !good luck

melissandra

Hi melissandra , welcome to our forum , don't worry hun , if u want to get ur divorce ,as first step u need to check his birth certificate and from it u can know when he divorced u then u can go to the court to take ur legal paper , u can use a lawyer too !For ur ex don't give him any money never ! Also i advice to see what ladies here said , as i know about legal things in Tunisia i am not an expert for things in the uk !good luck
Thank you Dark Angel :) Its been dragging on for over 3 years between him leaving me and stringing me along that he would return when he had enough money behind him - I guess he just gave up & decided on the Tunisian life when he hit 40! x

DARK ANGEL

Thank you Dark Angel :) Its been dragging on for over 3 years between him leaving me and stringing me along that he would return when he had enough money behind him - I guess he just gave up & decided on the Tunisian life when he hit 40! x
U must thanks God , this guy don't deserve and seems clear he has intent by marring u ,don't think about him ! as i said don't give him ay money and don't contact him :)

Jane BM

Yes it's pretty easy for you to obtain a copy of his birth certificate in Tunisia as DA has said, minimal cost. As for getting a copy of the divorce papers I'm not sure, hopefully someone else will know. X

melissandra

Yes it's pretty easy for you to obtain a copy of his birth certificate in Tunisia as DA has said, minimal cost. As for getting a copy of the divorce papers I'm not sure, hopefully someone else will know. X
Thanks Jane - hopefully I'll learn more on here xx

Jane BM

Thanks Jane - hopefully I'll learn more on here xx
Have you contacted his lawyer yourself? If he acted on his behalf for the divorce he'd have a copy surely?

melissandra

Have you contacted his lawyer yourself? If he acted on his behalf for the divorce he'd have a copy surely?
I got the impression his lawyer wasn't English speaking as the letter I received appeared to have been translated elsewhere but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try x

Trulymadlydeeply

If you get a lawyer here they will contact his lawyer on your behalf. All you need to do then is get the papers translated.. Sounds easy but bet it isn't!!! Good luck

melissandra

If you get a lawyer here they will contact his lawyer on your behalf. All you need to do then is get the papers translated.. Sounds easy but bet it isn't!!! Good luck
Hi, I have been in touch with lawyers here but was hoping for a solution which wouldn't be expensive x

Trulymadlydeeply

Do you know anyone out there who lives in the same region as him? They could obtain a copy of his BC for a couple of quid if you are still married your name will still be on it. That's a start..

melissandra

Do you know anyone out there who lives in the same region as him? They could obtain a copy of his BC for a couple of quid if you are still married your name will still be on it. That's a start..
Would it need to be where he was born or where he is working now? x

Trulymadlydeeply

Errr I am 99% you can get it in any region as long as you have all his details.

melissandra

Errr I am 99% you can get it in any region as long as you have all his details.
Thank you :) I am thinking of going back to Tunisia in October and would like to make it a productive visit. I would like to just get the information I need to register I am divorced in UK and move on with my life. I could not speak to him again as he is hostile and bitter he had to pay to divorce. If he hadn't another woman lined up, I bet he would have left it to me to do the divorce. I don't plan to marry again as this experience has been far too traumatic but I need closure. :(

DARK ANGEL

You don't need to contact his lawyer , i told u from his birth certificate you can get all the details about the divorce and his date , from this point u can go to the court and get the paper "divorce judgement " you can after this translate this document in English !

DARK ANGEL

May i ask about his city ? i mean ur ex? why he divorced u ?did u lived together in the uk ?

melissandra

Thank you :) I am thinking of going back to Tunisia in October and would like to make it a productive visit. I would like to just get the information I need to register I am divorced in UK and move on with my life. I could not speak to him again as he is hostile and bitter he had to pay to divorce. If he hadn't another woman lined up, I bet he would have left it to me to do the divorce. I don't plan to marry again as this experience has been far too traumatic but I need closure. :(
Thanks DA :) Do you know where I would get his birth cert? and is
May i ask about his city ? i mean ur ex? why he divorced u ?did u lived together in the uk ?
Hi DA! :) He lives in Port el kantaoui Sousse but from Gafsa. We married in Sousse 2009 and he moved to UK but kept going back to Tunisia as he couldn't find work - he only lived in UK for short time. He left in 2010 to return to Tunisia permanently and wanted me to sell my house & follow him. I didn't trust him as he didn't communicate as promised so relationship broke down. He kept having me going out there over next 2 years to visit and promised to come back to UK but last straw was when I found SMS from other women on his phone. He abandoned me and on my last visit in 2012 he wouldn't meet to talk about divorce. Yet he sent a summons for reconciliation session last year! I only found out he was engaged by looking on facebook! x

Mr Brian Smith

i'm no expert but you may want to contact the english or tunisian embassy or the CAB and get some advice from them they should be able to tell you if your divorced or not. or at least point you in the right direction

melissandra

i'm no expert but you may want to contact the english or tunisian embassy or the CAB and get some advice from them they should be able to tell you if your divorced or not. or at least point you in the right direction
Thanks Brian,:) been in touch with both embassies but neither want to know :( Haven't tried citizens advice yet but all solicitor/lawyer and barrister avenues have been tried in UK - too expensive x

Essem

Staff member
Thanks DA :) Do you know where I would get his birth cert? and is

Hi DA! :) He lives in Port el kantaoui Sousse but from Gafsa. We married in Sousse 2009 and he moved to UK but kept going back to Tunisia as he couldn't find work - he only lived in UK for short time. He left in 2010 to return to Tunisia permanently and wanted me to sell my house & follow him. I didn't trust him as he didn't communicate as promised so relationship broke down. He kept having me going out there over next 2 years to visit and promised to come back to UK but last straw was when I found SMS from other women on his phone. He abandoned me and on my last visit in 2012 he wouldn't meet to talk about divorce. Yet he sent a summons for reconciliation session last year! I only found out he was engaged by looking on facebook! x
Summons for reconciliation seems to be normal procedure so that 'all avenues have been tried' before divorce issued.

Any beladiya will give you a copy of his BC for around 700 millimes (info on here somewhere). All you need is his full name, date of birth and place of birth.

And if he's not divorced from you as he says, but already 'engaged' to another then surely he's breaking the law here in Tunisia.