Divorce

Mariajane

Hello I have been married for 3 years will be 4 in March I am British and my ex husband is Algerian we married in Tunisia and i have ask him for a divorce and he is refusing to accept it I haven’t sent any papers yet as I want some information on it as I know I can in United Kingdom but it cost so much here would it be cheaper getting it done in Tunisia as I Am from uk and he is Algerian the only worry is that we have a 2 year son together and I have tried to work though it but it just not there no more anyone can help please

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Hello I have been married for 3 years will be 4 in March I am British and my ex husband is Algerian we married in Tunisia and i have ask him for a divorce and he is refusing to accept it I haven’t sent any papers yet as I want some information on it as I know I can in United Kingdom but it cost so much here would it be cheaper getting it done in Tunisia as I Am from uk and he is Algerian the only worry is that we have a 2 year son together and I have tried to work though it but it just not there no more anyone can help please
Do you both reside in the UK.

If both sides do not agree then Tunisia is not the best place either it will immediately be complicated.

If the answer is both in UK living/working then as you live here UK is best as you are more likely to be able to enforce court order here.

MO2915

If you both live in the UK, you better sort your divorce out here with you both agreeing or even disagreeing and follow the UK system. Going to Tunisia will make things worse.

First, he is Algerian marrying you in Tunisia. I believe this complicates things even more. Divorce might be more difficult in Tunisia cos he’s Algerian and you have a child.

Think about you child first and life before any money. It might be cheaper in Tunisia, but you’ll have more hassle and pay even more in the long run.

A mutual solution that can make your child happy in his future would be best.

Best wishes.

Mariajane

I have been thinking about my son he always come first no matter what he will never be able to come to the uk to be a family and I have tried for so long to work though our marriage he havnt helped me one bit and I had all his papers for apply for his visa and I had most off the money to pay for it but I don’t seem why I should pay few grand to get him here and he won’t help with nothing and I wanted to be family more than anything but he has pushed me away for so long and there isn’t noting I can sort out

MO2915

Are you British? You said so. Not sure though.
Are you born in Britain?
If you need help then you need to supply more information and get your facts straight.

This forum should help you.

Mariajane

I said I am British and my ex is Algerian I was born in the uk living in the uk all my life

MO2915

I have been thinking about my son he always come first no matter what he will never be able to come to the uk to be a family and I have tried for so long to work though our marriage he havnt helped me one bit and I had all his papers for apply for his visa and I had most off the money to pay for it but I don’t seem why I should pay few grand to get him here and he won’t help with nothing and I wanted to be family more than anything but he has pushed me away for so long and there isn’t noting I can sort out
The reason I asked if you're British is because your English doesn't make sense and you don't explain your situation properly.

Mariajane

Well I ask isit better for me to apply for divorce here in the uk or Tunisia as he is refusing to accept the divorce I made it quite clear I think said that I am British and he is Algerian and living separate as I living in uk and he is living in Algeria haven’t been to the uk he can divorce me there as it will be a lot easier but he won’t

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
It is better to divorce where you are normally resident.

so both in UK > then UK

If he is Algeria and you are in UK and he has never lived here with you and has no money here > Divorce in Tunisia

If the marriage has been registered in the UK then I would divorce in Tunisia and also divorce/submit Tunisian court papers here in the UK.

Thats all there is to say you have a complicated situation so you will most likely need legal advice which I recommend both in Tunisia and UK.

Maybe you can leave loose ends but I am not that kind maybe you die one day rich and your old husband turns up with a marriage certificate or maybe you go on holiday with your new boyfriend/husband in Tunisia and your old husband is there and calls the police and waves a Tunisian marriage certificate.

Etc etc

Mariajane

Ok thanks and this is what I worried about I have moved on and seeing someone he is Tunisian but living in France and I will want to go Tunisia in the future but want to divorce before I travel there maybe next year I will see about divorce in Tunisia as I have friends there so will see if they can do papers thanks