do we need visa for spain

olliebaby

When my husband applied for his Schengen, they only required a marriage certificate (stamped by the Tunisian Ministry of Interiors or by The Tunisian Embassy in London), his and my passport and the application form. These are the requirements if the applicant is a spouse of UK/EU National, no bookings or any other proofs (bank statements, etc.). He applied through The French, but as they all are using the same application form it could well be the case with the Spanish, worth checking as it saved a lot of paperwork.
Hi Desi, yes I e-mailed them today and found this out also...

And I am pretty sure this "right to free movement" would apply all over so I'll have a look into it...

Here's their reply...

Dear Applicant
The visa type / purpose of travel you require is Spouse of an EU Citizen. (Schengen visa application form)
You will only need to provide his passport, your passport and marriage certificate.
Regards

So I have checked the Schengen Application form and it does state "Spouses of EU Citizens do not have to fill in certain sections of this application form marked with an * while exercising their freedom of movement"

So I looked and all the boxes marked with an * are the proof of travel, bookings details, proof of funds for the trips etc etc so they DONT have to fill these in. You only have to fill in your name address / his name etc and provide your passport and marriage certificate.

Lots of hassle saved then :)

Jane BM

Hi Desi, yes I e-mailed them today and found this out also...

And I am pretty sure this "right to free movement" would apply all over so I'll have a look into it...

Here's their reply...

Dear Applicant
The visa type / purpose of travel you require is Spouse of an EU Citizen. (Schengen visa application form)
You will only need to provide his passport, your passport and marriage certificate.
Regards

So I have checked the Schengen Application form and it does state "Spouses of EU Citizens do not have to fill in certain sections of this application form marked with an * while exercising their freedom of movement"

So I looked and all the boxes marked with an * are the proof of travel, bookings details, proof of funds for the trips etc etc so they DONT have to fill these in. You only have to fill in your name address / his name etc and provide your passport and marriage certificate.

Lots of hassle saved then :)
Nice one....that makes it nice and easy in theory....let us know. Xx

sianperkins89

We have been told directly by the VFS global Spain visa application centre that as the Spouse of an EU citizen you need to provide both passports, marriage certificate, application form and also proof of flights and accomodation. So i would say at the appointment it's worth taking the flight and accomodation information too.
You don't need all the travel insurance/bank statements/letter from work when you are applying as the spouse of an EU citizen and travelling with them.
If you are travelling alone, you apply for the tourist Schengen instead and will need all those extra docs and more.

Last edited:

sianperkins89

Hi all,

My husband got his Schengen visa for Spain today. Just thought I would share with you how you go about getting one.
The Spanish consulate outsource their visa applications to the VFS global centre. There are different types of Schengen visa, we applied under the category as spouse of an EU national as he's travelling with me. The documents required for each category are different so don't rely on what I'm putting here as we did not apply for the Tourist visa (which they would apply for if they were travelling alone)

We booked the appointment online for 12pm. Got there just before 12pm, took our ticket (like at the deli counter lol) and waited 3 hours before they called our number! No explanation as to why it really took so long, just they are busy and sometimes you wait 10 mins other times you wait hours! Handed the paperwork over - they need the Tunisian passport, to see the ILR/spouse visa, to see the EU spouse's passport, original or certified copy of the marriage certificate in English or Spanish and the hotel and flight booking. They need copies of everything and they have a photocopying machine there (chargeable of course) for you to take copies. You then pay for the application - Came to £33 or so which included the special courier service of £14.50 to return the passport but if you want to collect it in person instead you can. The actual visa is free of charge if you are married to an EU national but they charge for their service of processing it. They took all the documents and told us Tunisian passport holders are on a 4 week processing time and gave us a number to track the application online. Well we had no idea about the 4 week waiting time as every website, including theirs, it says a Schengen takes around 5 working days up to 2 weeks to process. Then when we got home we looked again and on another page on their website it says 'excluding the following countries which are a minimum of 4 weeks processing' - Tunisia being one of them. We have been really down about it since we applied and weren't actually looking forward to going on holiday - as we weren't even sure that he would get it in time seeing as we only applied 3 weeks in advance. After 1 week they updated the status online saying they needed additional documents. They wanted the actual tickets of the holiday to show that it had been paid in full, as we only provided the one saying the deposit had been paid. We are going on a group holiday so our friend was taking care of paying for it all - she only got the full booking info and tickets the day of 16th when we went to apply! So we called and checked and then emailed the tickets over to them straight away. They said they would prefer for him to go in person and hand it in, but we don't live in London, plus they are e-tickets, so there aren't originals. Anyway, the status then changed to 'resubmitted' and a week later it said the processed application was being sent back by courier. It arrived this morning (sunday) despite the VFS centre saying the couriers don't work at the weekends.
Strangely, he applied for a multiple entry Schengen. Wasn't given the option to ask how long he wanted it for but we assumed it would be valid at least 3 months. They have issued it to him as a single entry valid only in Spain for the week we are there! Bit disappointing as we were planning another Euro trip but at least he will be able to travel with us next week, which is a huge relief!
It would have been a relatively harmless experience for us, had they not left us waiting 3 hours on the day and then made us worry as they say it takes 4 weeks or more. But luckily 2 weeks later they have done it and he has it now in his hands! :)
Feel free to message me if you have any more questions about this, I'll help if I can!

Last edited:

Mezoo

VIP Member
try the netherlands. we've had many Schengen visas issued there over the years. the thing is about 1st entry and we "enter" at schiphol first and connect from there to go elsewhere, thus the netherlands. may help you may not. we've got them in tunisia, kuwait and america from dutch embassies and consulates and never has took more than 3 weeks tops. good luck. :) p.s. my name is in nour's tunisian passport as her husband and they've never asked for more than the passport don't know how that is for tunisian husbands and european wives.

Jane BM

Hi all,

My husband got his Schengen visa for Spain today. Just thought I would share with you how you go about getting one.
The Spanish consulate outsource their visa applications to the VFS global centre. There are different types of Schengen visa, we applied under the category as spouse of an EU national as he's travelling with me. The documents required for each category are different so don't rely on what I'm putting here as we did not apply for the Tourist visa (which they would apply for if they were travelling alone)

We booked the appointment online for 12pm. Got there just before 12pm, took our ticket (like at the deli counter lol) and waited 3 hours before they called our number! No explanation as to why it really took so long, just they are busy and sometimes you wait 10 mins other times you wait hours! Handed the paperwork over - they need the Tunisian passport, to see the ILR/spouse visa, to see the EU spouse's passport, original or certified copy of the marriage certificate in English or Spanish and the hotel and flight booking. They need copies of everything and they have a photocopying machine there (chargeable of course) for you to take copies. You then pay for the application - Came to £33 or so which included the special courier service of £14.50 to return the passport but if you want to collect it in person instead you can. The actual visa is free of charge if you are married to an EU national but they charge for their service of processing it. They took all the documents and told us Tunisian passport holders are on a 4 week processing time and gave us a number to track the application online. Well we had no idea about the 4 week waiting time as every website, including theirs, it says a Schengen takes around 5 working days up to 2 weeks to process. Then when we got home we looked again and on another page on their website it says 'excluding the following countries which are a minimum of 4 weeks processing' - Tunisia being one of them. We have been really down about it since we applied and weren't actually looking forward to going on holiday - as we weren't even sure that he would get it in time seeing as we only applied 3 weeks in advance. After 1 week they updated the status online saying they needed additional documents. They wanted the actual tickets of the holiday to show that it had been paid in full, as we only provided the one saying the deposit had been paid. We are going on a group holiday so our friend was taking care of paying for it all - she only got the full booking info and tickets the day of 16th when we went to apply! So we called and checked and then emailed the tickets over to them straight away. They said they would prefer for him to go in person and hand it in, but we don't live in London, plus they are e-tickets, so there aren't originals. Anyway, the status then changed to 'resubmitted' and a week later it said the processed application was being sent back by courier. It arrived this morning (sunday) despite the VFS centre saying the couriers don't work at the weekends.
Strangely, he applied for a multiple entry Schengen. Wasn't given the option to ask how long he wanted it for but we assumed it would be valid at least 3 months. They have issued it to him as a single entry valid only in Spain for the week we are there! Bit disappointing as we were planning another Euro trip but at least he will be able to travel with us next week, which is a huge relief!
It would have been a relatively harmless experience for us, had they not left us waiting 3 hours on the day and then made us worry as they say it takes 4 weeks or more. But luckily 2 weeks later they have done it and he has it now in his hands! :)
Feel free to message me if you have any more questions about this, I'll help if I can!
What a hassle....for a single entry just for the week.

Really does seem that it's very dependent on which embassy you apply to and which category you apply under as I know several people who've applied before but at the French embassy and received multi entry visas with far less paperwork needed.

sianperkins89

try the netherlands. we've had many Schengen visas issued there over the years. the thing is about 1st entry and we "enter" at schiphol first and connect from there to go elsewhere, thus the netherlands. may help you may not. we've got them in tunisia, kuwait and america from dutch embassies and consulates and never has took more than 3 weeks tops. good luck. :) p.s. my name is in nour's tunisian passport as her husband and they've never asked for more than the passport don't know how that is for tunisian husbands and european wives.
I think in future we are more likely to do that, to enter in one country and travel elsewhere -make the most of it! However we are going on a package holiday with friends this time so had to go directly to Spain. Still can't believe it's only valid for a week. Like you say I think some countries are easier than others, like Netherlands and France. Spain is notoriously picky apparently.
My name isn't in my husband's Tunisian passport as his wife. :\
Do they do that for all married Tunisian women then?