Exporting Car to Tunisia:

Waqar

Hi everyone.
We were going to drive to Tunisia but now we are looking to use a UK Export Car Company to ship a LHD car to Tunisia so we can drive it there as we will be there for 4 weeks.

Does anyone know how much and how long it would cost to say from London to Tunis to Sfax? Also what would be involved (were not selling the car but intend to leave it there as wife has a FCR)

Thanks

Scottochott

Not sure this would work out cheaper than simply renting while you're there. By the time you factor in the costs of initial transportation, ongoing costs of insurance, mot, garaging, depreciation, etc I think in your case of a couple of visits a year simply paying approx 1000TD for a month's rental would work out a cheaper stress free option.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
better to rent such much hasstle importing cars

Waqar

i see what your saying guys but going twice a year spending 1000TND soon adds up to a cost of a car- we want to take something over and leave so we dont have this hassle each time...
Right so Ive found a company (freightforwards.co.uk) who will take car over for £700 and get it there in 12 days- does that sound reasonable...also once it gets there can anyone advise how we get it out of the customs and what sort of costs are involved...we are not intending to sell wife will use her FCR and leave it there only for us to drive when we go over..

Scottochott

You'll need to go to customs to get it through, there should be no costs with an FCR

Waqar

so we dont need to pay any customs as long as we have the FCR?

You'll need to go to customs to get it through, there should be no costs with an FCR
Just be careful as they will stamp your passport or your wife's that you have the car.Also has to be I think two years old or less.We brought ours over and 1st time I left the country they initially wouldn't let me leave.Had to get my solicitor involved and even then took 3 days.If you keep car for 5 years there is a gradually reducing tax.ie if you sell it 1st year 100% tax then reduction until tax free.

Scottochott

Just be careful as they will stamp your passport or your wife's that you have the car.Also has to be I think two years old or less.We brought ours over and 1st time I left the country they initially wouldn't let me leave.Had to get my solicitor involved and even then took 3 days.If you keep car for 5 years there is a gradually reducing tax.ie if you sell it 1st year 100% tax then reduction until tax free.
This is not the case with an FCR, it will not be stamped in your passport and you are free to sell it, no tax is payable. The rules have now changed and any imported car has to be less than 5 years old

Waqar

sorry slight misunderstanding here need to make myself clearer
...when the car arrives at the port at the customs in Tunis- wife has the FCR documentation- does she pay any tax to the customs officials to get it released or not?She will be leaving the car in Tunisia with her dad.

Secondly if she decides to sell it after a year or so does she pay any tax then?

Scottochott

sorry slight misunderstanding here need to make myself clearer
...when the car arrives at the port at the customs in Tunis- wife has the FCR documentation- does she pay any tax to the customs officials to get it released or not?She will be leaving the car in Tunisia with her dad.

Secondly if she decides to sell it after a year or so does she pay any tax then?
I repeat no tax payable on entry or sale under FCR rules. Think Clumberdog may have confused you above as that post referred to importing cars without FCR

Waqar

wow thats fantastic have the rules now changed under the new regime or has this always been the case...
so in essence my wife can ship the car over present her FCR with correct paperwork and drive away?

Trulymadlydeeply

Waqar I take it your wife is tunisan? Why doesn't she phone the Tunisian embassy here in the Uk and clarify what is what? That way you won't keep going round in circles... :)

gem15

Waqar I take it your wife is tunisan? Why doesn't she phone the Tunisian embassy here in the Uk and clarify what is what? That way you won't keep going round in circles... :)
And what they tell her will probably different to what happens on the day. You ask 10 tunisians the same question and you get 10 different answers.

I remember going to the tunisian embassy a few years back now and the Ambassador i might add didnt even know who FIPA was.

Trulymadlydeeply

Gem you are too fair to be told anything by them lol... ;)

Waqar

Yes have had many encounters with the embassy here getting told one thing and then another thing happens on the day...but yes intending to call them and get it clarified...but think Scottochot has some experience in this area so based on this info will call them...just need to sort the FCR out now for the wife...

Waqar

So finally got to speak to the main chap (can we mention his name) at the Tunisian embassy here,,,after much deliberation with the wife all he said was "go to the website as I cannot tell you anymore information"...as checked nearly two weeks ago the section about the cars/FCR is still being updated...

http://www.douane.gov.tn/index.php?id=247

So after all this we are in the hands of our own guess work...so frustrating not knowing what the official line here is...

Scottochott

I haven't done it for a while, and not aware of any changes but we'll see what the updated website says when it comes back online. As far as I know a car less than 5 years old can be imported tax free with an FCR.

KB72

Are you going to have it used by relatives when you're not using it? Just remember to take a battery charger with you because if it is left it will be flat and possibly the brakes seized etc so maybe even if family are not going to use it, perhaps they could start it up every other week and give it a run around otherwise you will get there and wont be able to use the car anyway.
I rent when I go, costs only about £100ish per week for a Kia/Symbol plus no hassle, if it gets dented by those crazy drivers, not my problem. Why don't you look at car values when you're there? You might be able to get a decent second hand one although by looking at the state of a lot of the cars that could be a rarity!

Waqar

Thanks for the advice guys- we usually do rent but would like to keep a car there for future use- we usually go twice a year and dont really want to pay £600 each time (2 visits x 3 weeks each)- by the time you tot it up over 7 years its worth buying rather than renting.
The ambassador did not even tell us how to get the FCR! Just told us to go to the website thats being updated for over three weeks now...lol

Secondly KB72 when and where do you rent from £100 a week?
Thanks to all.