FCR/RS Confusion in Tunisia

MO2915

Hello,

Can anyone please explain why is it so expensive to bring a car to Tunisia? For a Tunisian definite return home.

I understand that so many people were/are profiteering from FCR(supposedly no longer exists) and may be RS and the Tunisian government are tackling this issue but I don’t really understand why the taxes on import and estimations are so high, especially for the Tunisians living abroad, who left his country and worked so hard to try to make a little life for themselves to come back.

I also understand that the government wants people to buy cars and other things from Tunisia to help the economy and I agree. But the car I want in Tunisia is so expensive compared to the UK for example. Why is that?

I am Tunisian living abroad and I believe that I should be entitled to bring at least 1 vehicle back to my country completely tax free that I can use for pleasure and commuting etc but not sell it and not be continuously harassed with notifying douanes or paying taxes etc. I know that RS exists, but I am lost on the deep details.

If the latter is not feasible then I would be happy to buy a vehicle in Tunisia which is the same specs, quality and price as in the UK. But from my research, I see that Chinese, Indians etc cars are cheaper and the rest is over the top.

Here’s an example of the douane’s estimation and taxes for a cheap car here(287%!!!):

Car.PNG

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I gave up on this ages ago.

The douane hear the word car and you turn into a goose that lays gold eggs.

MO2915

I am giving up on this too Kris. I'll be flying back with a suitcase of family clothes nothing else. I'll buy my stuff and car there for sanity of mind.+ I believe that I can now get a car with FCR/RS discount from the main car dealers in Tunisia. it 'll work out cheaper if I buy there. It's a shame that the Tunisian government are making it so hard for us here in the UK but unfortunately Tunisians from France and other countries are importing so much crap weekly including lots of cars that I think they need to tackle it to help the economy and stop this nonsense.

On the other hand i.e: If I bring an imported car to the UK, I think I'll pay alot of import taxes too. So every country does the same thing.
What do you think?

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I am giving up on this too Kris. I'll be flying back with a suitcase of family clothes nothing else. I'll buy my stuff and car there for sanity of mind.+ I believe that I can now get a car with FCR/RS discount from the main car dealers in Tunisia. it 'll work out cheaper if I buy there. It's a shame that the Tunisian government are making it so hard for us here in the UK but unfortunately Tunisians from France and other countries are importing so much crap weekly including lots of cars that I think they need to tackle it to help the economy and stop this nonsense.

On the other hand i.e: If I bring an imported car to the UK, I think I'll pay alot of import taxes too. So every country does the same thing.
What do you think?
I think in the UK you will pay taxes but you will have a bit of paper with those taxes clearly set out.

In Tunisia I got on well with all aspects of the administration.... aside from douane when it came to the car.

Everyone wanted money and I got a different answers all over the place even when i thought I knew the rules.

"I believe that I can now get a car with FCR/RS discount from the main car dealers in Tunisia"

That sounds the best solution if possible and you can take the car back to address issues if anything goes wrong.

MO2915

I think in the UK you will pay taxes but you will have a bit of paper with those taxes clearly set out.

In Tunisia I got on well with all aspects of the administration.... aside from douane when it came to the car.

Everyone wanted money and I got a different answers all over the place even when i thought I knew the rules.

"I believe that I can now get a car with FCR/RS discount from the main car dealers in Tunisia"

That sounds the best solution if possible and you can take the car back to address issues if anything goes wrong.
Douane/police... seem to be a big headache for everyone. The government are supposedly tackling corruption etc. but I don't trust anything they say and it'll take along time, justice and jail to eradicate that mentality. I think that the main problem is that the police, douane etc. are not paid good wages so they resort to these practices. Nevertheless, they should be honest.

I think I'll buy an old banger to take me from A to B for a start, given the crazy nature of driving, insurance, MOT in Tunisia and see how things go.
To be honest, I'll be a tourist like everyone when I am back. I've been away for a long time and I am hoping I'll readjust and survive.