Fiance visa or spouse visa?

Fairgame

Hi
I'm planning to marry my Tunisian boyfriend next year and he wants us to get married in Tunisia and then he will come to the uk on a spouse Visa.

I would rather he come here on a fiance visa so that we can live together and get married in the uk instead. He doesn't think that we will be able to do this and said it is really difficult to get a fiance visa.

I can't live in Tunisia. I have a teenage son who has autism so I need to remain in the uk for his schooling and support. I also have a good job here and home, dog etc.
I think the fiance visa would be the way of seeing that my son and boyfriend get along before we get married.

Is a fiance visa feasible or is my boyfriend correct in saying it will be easier to marry in Tunisia and then apply for a visa?

Selmi

Hi
I'm planning to marry my Tunisian boyfriend next year and he wants us to get married in Tunisia and then he will come to the uk on a spouse Visa.

I would rather he come here on a fiance visa so that we can live together and get married in the uk instead. He doesn't think that we will be able to do this and said it is really difficult to get a fiance visa.

I can't live in Tunisia. I have a teenage son who has autism so I need to remain in the uk for his schooling and support. I also have a good job here and home, dog etc.
I think the fiance visa would be the way of seeing that my son and boyfriend get along before we get married.

Is a fiance visa feasible or is my boyfriend correct in saying it will be easier to marry in Tunisia and then apply for a visa?
Hi
Have you thought about applying for a visitor visa first ? This would enable your BF to travel to the UK then return back to Tunisia, the process after that if all goes well is then the Fiancé visa.
Rules and regulations are changing all the time regarding visas and best double check updated information on GOV.UK.
You need to put your sons best interest before anything and anyone, I mean that with the greatest of respect, the above visa would give you all time to get to know each other before you go ahead with a marriage..

Fairgame

Yes I have thought of a visit visa but my boyfriend's job finishes in October so he won't have any employment to go back to at that time so its unlikely to succeed.

I thought that the fiance visa might have more chance of success and he can be here for up to 6 months. There is nothing forcing me to marry him if things don't go well whereas if we get married in Tunisia then I'm tied to him without having lived together.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with the visitors visa first, I did that for my wife and various in laws before we got married.

That should not be an issue if.....

He has a good job in Tunisia with a contract and savings or..

Has a decent education or is a student in further education

The age difference is not 5/10 years + older than him.

You have a house and funds to sponsor him etc etc.

if its the opposite then they are going to say hey Bezness this guy is never going to come back and say no.

Someone can correct me if i am wrong but with a fiancee visa dont you have to say my other half is coming to get married and have details of the wedding etc.

You then have to do it all again as spouse so usually marriage then visa is cheaper.

If he has no job and there is an age difference they may not even give him that type of visa anyhow.

My son is also Autistic he hates change I am also weary of many Tunisian mens attitude to other mens kids and their lack of knowledge of ASD. Has your son met you boyfriend or vice versa?

Fairgame

I agree with the visitors visa first, I did that for my wife and various in laws before we got married.

That should not be an issue if.....

He has a good job in Tunisia with a contract and savings or..

Has a decent education or is a student in further education

The age difference is not 5/10 years + older than him.

You have a house and funds to sponsor him etc etc.

if its the opposite then they are going to say hey Bezness this guy is never going to come back and say no.

Someone can correct me if i am wrong but with a fiancee visa dont you have to say my other half is coming to get married and have details of the wedding etc.

You then have to do it all again as spouse so usually marriage then visa is cheaper.

If he has no job and there is an age difference they may not even give him that type of visa anyhow.

My son is also Autistic he hates change I am also weary of many Tunisian mens attitude to other mens kids and their lack of knowledge of ASD. Has your son met you boyfriend or vice versa?

My son has met him once. I've not taken him on any other visits while I get to know him.
I'm a bit wary of whether he realises what living with an autistic child is really like which is why I want him to come here before we get married. I've tried to explain about autism, particularly because if I have children with him they may also be autistic. All he says "no problem baby everything will be ok" to which I then have to say "no it might not be ok!". Its so frustrating!

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
My son has met him once. I've not taken him on any other visits while I get to know him.
I'm a bit wary of whether he realises what living with an autistic child is really like which is why I want him to come here before we get married. I've tried to explain about autism, particularly because if I have children with him they may also be autistic. All he says "no problem baby everything will be ok" to which I then have to say "no it might not be ok!". Its so frustrating!

When my son was diagnosed my wife (Tunisian) was devastated as she had no knowledge of ASD at all zero and jumped right to outright brain damaged/crazy etc in her reaction.

Now with effort my son is a little weird socially but I would say 95% functioning goes to normal school. But he loves his mum to a ridiculous level she is the centre of his world and I definitely take a back seat in his affections.

He is my son so fair enough but if he was not and i did not understand it I must admit it would be difficult.

Fairgame

When my son was diagnosed my wife (Tunisian) was devastated as she had no knowledge of ASD at all zero and jumped right to outright brain damaged/crazy etc in her reaction.

Now with effort my son is a little weird socially but I would say 95% functioning goes to normal school. But he loves his mum to a ridiculous level she is the centre of his world and I definitely take a back seat in his affections.

He is my son so fair enough but if he was not and i did not understand it I must admit it would be difficult.

I've had a good talk with him about it last night and basically told him we need to do things my way. He muttered something about papers and then said that the wedding needs to happen in Tunisia because he needs to read something from the Koran. I told him we have the Koran in the uk so it will be fine. He agreed to get married over here but he still wants a ceremony in Tunisia as well so I think we have reached a compromise.

I found a guide to autism on the web which is in arabic so I've sent him that.

I think he needs to accept that I won't be rushing things. He has friends who have European girlfriends and they visit every month weeks and are getting married on their 3rd visit etc. I don't want that and I think he is starting to realise that it wont be like that for us.

Selmi

Of course it’s very easy to get married in Tunisia, but no guarantee that you will be granted the spouse visa !!
As you have mentioned it’s not possible for you to reside in Tunisia certainly a lot of obstacles to over come if you did ?
So could your relationship survive the distance ?
The fiancé visa is a lengthy process as is all the others,not to mention the cost.
However, it’s possible and lots of couples have been accepted and living happily ever after including myself.
It’s no walk in the park I might add either
I've had a good talk with him about it last night and basically told him we need to do things my way. He muttered something about papers and then said that the wedding needs to happen in Tunisia because he needs to read something from the Koran. I told him we have the Koran in the uk so it will be fine. He agreed to get married over here but he still wants a ceremony in Tunisia as well so I think we have reached a compromise.

I found a guide to autism on the web which is in arabic so I've sent him that.

I think he needs to accept that I won't be rushing things. He has friends who have European girlfriends and they visit every month weeks and are getting married on their 3rd visit etc. I don't want that and I think he is starting to realise that it wont be like that for us.
happy to hear you have reached a compromise They think everything is so easy, for you to just up sticks and relocate with a son in tow aww it’s a walk in the park !!
Stand your ground and start as you mean to carry on.
Good luck x