Free land for the poor in Tunisia

neat

I am a bit baffled my husband told me that in may this year the goverment gave his divorced mum land to build a house on. She gets maintanance from her ex and financial help from 3 sons. Can anybody throw some light on this please.

Donna Said

my Tunisian husband has not ever heard of the government given free land before.

Mrs H

I am a bit baffled my husband told me that in may this year the goverment gave his divorced mum land to build a house on. She gets maintanance from her ex and financial help from 3 sons. Can anybody throw some light on this please.

Seems a bit strange. If they are poor where are they getting the money to build the house on the land.

neat

Seems a bit strange. If they are poor where are they getting the money to build the house on the land.
Yes they are poor this is why i am questioning the free land. Maybe it will help if I explain more. I was on holiday with my husband in sousse for 3 weeks in may and the family were wanting me to visit sakiet as I was awaiting an arm operation and in pain i did not want to have to travel further plus I needed the comforts of a hotel. Anyway I offered to pay for his mum to visit us and was told she could not as the goverment had just given her land to build on and she was digging out the footings and was scared it would be taken back off her if she leaves.

Heather t

just spoken to a Tunisian friend and they have never heard of this

Mrs H

Yes they are poor this is why i am questioning the free land. Maybe it will help if I explain more. I was on holiday with my husband in sousse for 3 weeks in may and the family were wanting me to visit sakiet as I was awaiting an arm operation and in pain i did not want to have to travel further plus I needed the comforts of a hotel. Anyway I offered to pay for his mum to visit us and was told she could not as the goverment had just given her land to build on and she was digging out the footings and was scared it would be taken back off her if she leaves.

There is government funding available to help those that live in houses in bad repair. They will fix the house but they have to apply for this funding but I have never heard of land being handed out.

neat

Thank you for your replys. The house his mum was living in when i last visited was rented so no goverment grants there. I am beginning to think
they have managed to buy the land themselves and was hoping I might help out if I saw for myself what was needed.

DARK ANGEL

Never heard about this kind of service given by the government , maybe they look for some financial l help

Jane BM

Thank you for your replys. The house his mum was living in when i last visited was rented so no goverment grants there. I am beginning to think
they have managed to buy the land themselves and was hoping I might help out if I saw for myself what was needed.
So they want money from you to build?

neat

I really do not know jane, I just can not get my head around how they have managed to aquire the land if the goverment did not give it them.

Scottochott

Well they get marks for originality, but sounds like another scam to add to the list

ROULLA

I really do not know jane, I just can not get my head around how they have managed to aquire the land if the goverment did not give it them.
Hi Neat, hope that you are well!
Well you could always check out and see who the land belongs to and it won't cost you much to get the paperwork either.
I have heard and seen people getting help with being rehoused but not given land.
I'm not saying that it can't happen ,we don't know her circumstances .
May be her land was taken by the old regime and the government have somehow helped her now.

Last edited:

Essem

Staff member

'She' was digging out the footings???

If it was given by the government, surely they would have the appropriate paperwork and, if so, how could it be taken back off her if it is all legal?

Could it be family land that's she's inherited or has been split up?

Could it be money from her divorce settlement that has paid for some land?

Has your hb had any other European gf's that may have helped with money?

QUOTE="neat, post: 313881, member: 14049"]Thank you for your replys. The house his mum was living in when i last visited was rented so no goverment grants there. I am beginning to think
they have managed to buy the land themselves and was hoping I might help out if I saw for myself what was needed.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I think you you are partly right here, the second part - without proper paperwork, they could show you any piece of land and tug at your emotional (and financial) strings so that you'd help. And would you?

janette

I have never heard of this and after checking with several Tunisian friends, everyone says that they have never heard of it and also that it is quite unlikely. I very much suspect that you are correct in your assumption regarding bank rolling the new build. Hurtful, but quite likely true. :(

Jane BM

@neat , have you met your husbands family? Have you never been to their home before?

I'm just trying to work out how this could happen. Xx

Gotcha

1) probably her sons have scammed money from countless western women to purchase the land

2) There is no land - the only foundations being laid here and those in a 'long game' to get money from you

. I am beginning to thinkthey have managed to buy the land themselves and was hoping I might help out if I saw for myself what was needed.

Yes he'll soon be hinting about what's needed and how you can help :-(

Last edited:

Mrs H

Be careful. It does sound like you are being fed a big fat lie. Pretty soon expect the stories to start about how wonderful it would be if you and your husband had a house in Tunisia. You'll be told that once mums house is built then you can build above it. But remember the likelihood is that there is no house.

neat

Jane yes I have been to sakiet and met his family.His father lives with his mum and my husband and brothers were brought up in that house till
the divorce then the mum and kids moved into rented accomodation. The first time I went there she was renting 2 outbuildings in someones back yard.
The second time she had moved to a house with no windows or doors. No cooking facility so cooked outside and no toilet or bathroom used
a neighbours w.c.
I spoke to my husband last night on skype and asked how the house was coming on he was very surprised that i remembered
him telling me. He went on to say that 2 rooms had been built. So I asked if the rain can get in and he said no, so it has a roof. Anyway I pushed a bit further and asked if the goverment had given it to her and he said yes, so I told him I had been talking to Tunisian people and that
no one had ever heard about free land and that I had also googled it and nothing comes up.
He went on to say that she has not got the paperwork yet and was hoping the new goverment will give her the land papers soon Hmmmmmmm.
So playing a bit dumb I said ohhh it sounds like what happened in spain english people building houses then the goverment saying its not there
land as no paperwork had been given and they lost there homes.
He seemed rather surprised I knew that.
Mrs H He knows I won't move to Tunisia I will soon be getting an accident payout but made it quite clear that my solicitor will holding it in a trust fund and that I would never put any money into Tunisia.
Gotcha I think you have hit the nail on the head. He will need to get up very early in the morning if he is intending to get one over on me.

Trulymadlydeeply

It is law in Tunisia that her ex husband must support her and any dependants, I'd make it clear (as you are) it will not be your job to do so!!!! :(.

Shazza100

May be I haven't understood the situation but has your husband spoken about the land given by the government previous to the time when you offered for her to visit you and being told she couldn't cus she couldn't leave the land or it would be taking back off her? The reason I say that..it could be an elaborate lie because she didn't want to/couldn't visit you especially as you offered to pay. I have heard some crazy excuses as to why people couldn't be somewhere by Tunisians. Your husband may have thought you would be offended if she couldn't come so made up a big excuse and reason to save face as why she couldn't leave her home. It is mad but I have seen it before.....not thinking of the consequences of a big lie. Don't ask me why he would use such a elaborate lie for a simple thing....can't answer that but I have seen it before.