Free land for the poor in Tunisia

Jane BM

Jane yes I have been to sakiet and met his family.His father lives with his mum and my husband and brothers were brought up in that house till
the divorce then the mum and kids moved into rented accomodation. The first time I went there she was renting 2 outbuildings in someones back yard.
The second time she had moved to a house with no windows or doors. No cooking facility so cooked outside and no toilet or bathroom used
a neighbours w.c.
I spoke to my husband last night on skype and asked how the house was coming on he was very surprised that i remembered
him telling me. He went on to say that 2 rooms had been built. So I asked if the rain can get in and he said no, so it has a roof. Anyway I pushed a bit further and asked if the goverment had given it to her and he said yes, so I told him I had been talking to Tunisian people and that
no one had ever heard about free land and that I had also googled it and nothing comes up.
He went on to say that she has not got the paperwork yet and was hoping the new goverment will give her the land papers soon Hmmmmmmm.
So playing a bit dumb I said ohhh it sounds like what happened in spain english people building houses then the goverment saying its not there
land as no paperwork had been given and they lost there homes.
He seemed rather surprised I knew that.
Mrs H He knows I won't move to Tunisia I will soon be getting an accident payout but made it quite clear that my solicitor will holding it in a trust fund and that I would never put any money into Tunisia.
Gotcha I think you have hit the nail on the head. He will need to get up very early in the morning if he is intending to get one over on me.
Oh Neat...I hate to say this, but this sounds quite worrying to me.....please please proceed with caution!!

Are you due to go over there soon? If you are, I'd make it a priority to go see this house!

And Neat, what happened in Spain isnt the same, it was mainly in Valencia, and people bought and paid for those houses or land in good faith, similar thing to what happens in Northern Cyprus as well.

neat

Hi Shazza no he had not mentioned it again until i brought it up last night when talking to him. But when I offered for her to visit and she
declined she said if I could not drive (which I could not at the time ) she would get a cousin to come to sousse by bus and if I rented a car he would drive us to Sakiet and back.

neat

Hi Jane yes I am going over in January so hopefully will get to Sakiet. He is going to visit his mum next week so I am going to ask him to send me pics in and out of the house with family.
Yes I am aware that people had purchased there property but I just put it that way to him to see if he used the same excuse to get out of this situation

Trulymadlydeeply

Is it a very poor area neat? Seems like they think he has found the golden ticket :(

neat

Yes truly it is a very poor area it is right on the algerian border. He has a friend in the uk that keeps in touch with me and from the same town as him.
I am dying to ask him about this so called house but i think he will call hubby first before replying to me.

Mrs H

Yes truly it is a very poor area it is right on the algerian border. He has a friend in the uk that keeps in touch with me and from the same town as him.
I am dying to ask him about this so called house but i think he will call hubby first before replying to me.

wouldn't bother asking the friend anything cos as you said he will probably call your husband first. If I was you I wouldn't mention the house again and just wait and see if he brings it up. Be prepared for more situations like this. You will probably be kept in the dark about most things. Get used to being on a "need to know basis". Which means if you can be useful then you will need to know about certain things otherwise it will be none of your business.

Trulymadlydeeply

You are correct they will stick together like glue. Maybe turn the tables and feed his friend stuff that you would like him to repeat to your hubby. See how quickly it travels!!!

Trulymadlydeeply

Couldn't live like that Mrs H, horrible... :(

neat

I am very tempted to mention it to his friend maybe I will drop it in on the conversation when he next calls. He was actually visiting home a couple of months after the said called free land was given out so it would have been rip conversation.

Jellycat

Neat
It's possible your hubby will know all about you questioning this on the forum. It just takes one Tunisian reading this who happens to know your hubby to see the wedding pic and be on the phone to him or someone who knows him. If I was you I would put up an anonymous photo. I think your hubby would hate his business being discussed in public.

Trulymadlydeeply

Don't they all.....:rolleyes:

neat

Good point jelly cat, as I logged on through fb the pic automatically came on.

ROULLA

Hi Neat, hope that you are well!
The refugees in Cyprus got rehoused and they only recently got all the deeds for house's, and I mean recently.
I have seen some run down high rise buildings in Tunisia and these were given by the government for those that were homeless.
If your boyfriend had said that his mum was rehoused then yes I could believe this.
Like I said before the only thing that I can think of is if land had been taken off her when the old regime was about then maybe his mum was able to prove this, you really need to find out who this so called land belonged to before your boyfriend's mum.
It don't cost much at all.
People presume that people in Tunisia don't get help from the government, but they do. Maybe not like the UK but they actually get money to live on every month, depending on their circumstances.

Jane BM

Hi Neat, hope that you are well!
The refugees in Cyprus got rehoused and they only recently got all the deeds for house's, and I mean recently.
I have seen some run down high rise buildings in Tunisia and these were given by the government for those that were homeless.
If your boyfriend had said that his mum was rehoused then yes I could believe this.
Like I said before the only thing that I can think of is if land had been taken off her when the old regime was about then maybe his mum was able to prove this, you really need to find out who this so called land belonged to before your boyfriend's mum.
It don't cost much at all.
People presume that people in Tunisia don't get help from the government, but they do. Maybe not like the UK but they actually get money to live on every month, depending on their circumstances.
What kind of things Roulla?

ROULLA

What kind of things Roulla?
Hi Jane, hope that you and your family are all well!

Sorry Jane, do you mean what kind of help?
If so then Then the Tunisia government do help....
Example, if you are unable to work due to disability of some sort then they pay you a monthly fee and you needn't have worked before. Or if let's say you passed all your school grades then they help and set you up for higher education in a different country, I know of 2 students who have passed and have been offered to either go to America or the UK, accommodation paid for.
There are many things that the government pay for believe it or not.
Hope that's what you asked me Jane.

Jane BM

Hi Jane, hope that you and your family are all well!

Sorry Jane, do you mean what kind of help?
If so then Then the Tunisia government do help....
Example, if you are unable to work due to disability of some sort then they pay you a monthly fee and you needn't have worked before. Or if let's say you passed all your school grades then they help and set you up for higher education in a different country, I know of 2 students who have passed and have been offered to either go to America or the UK, accommodation paid for.
There are many things that the government pay for believe it or not.
Hope that's what you asked me Jane.
It is what I meant Roulla yes....thanks. Xx

YouOnlyLive Once!

There is "squatters rights" with land and so on in Tunisia but i have only ever known about it for areas where land will rise in value - e.g outskirts of Tunis and then the land is sold to builders etc. i have never heard it where the person has built on the land themselves as it means they need to money to build the house. The government do have some policy for housing for families that need it but this may have been in place from many years ago so am not sure what the most recent government did - my feeling is that they were the worst at investing/spending money for their people!
It does seem very strange that a government would give land and expect a woman to build a house herself. There is a lot of illegal trade on that side of the country (cigarettes etc) so it could also have come from something like this?

samir

yes the gouverment sometimes they can give land, you all from europe you dont know anything about countries, so do not judge us .thanks

Jane BM

Someone got up out of bed the wrong side this morning!

Essem

Staff member
yes the gouverment sometimes they can give land, you all from europe you dont know anything about countries, so do not judge us .thanks

I didn't see that anyone was 'judging you' or any of your countrymen so what do you mean by that? However, I am sure with your attitude many will have already judged you.

As you are all knowing about your country, please enlighten us, under what circumstances can the government give you land in Tunisia?

One of the reasons we have a forum like this is to learn things, old and new, about Tunisia.

One thing for sure, with an attitude like yours, you won't last long on here so if you'd like to become a contributing member, treat other members with respect at all times.