Getting Married In tunisia

foxylady

there are many very good jewellers in the medina in sousse tell him to go there and i am sure they will have a conversion chart as caley has said.... if they even convert it into french sizing if thats not what they already use, then you can convert it on the internet. most likely it will be french sizing as clothes etc are in european sizing so tell him to go to the medina get a real sizing, obv not too tight and tell him to ask the jeweller to tell him what size he is in french. many jewellers in the medina will be able to do this no problem.

ilovebdt

Oh well it will just have to be over to Tunis on Thurs Fri then marry on the Sat! Will marry in Municipality then on to the party after that - should be fun! x

Hi Catwoman

If you can, get to the embassy early.

When I went to get my CONI translated I dragged my then hubby out of bed at 6am and we got to the embassy just after it opened. The lady asked me where I had come from and she said because I had come from quite far away if I came back in a couple of hours it would be done and it was :)

Just a thought

ilovebdt

catwoman1

Thanks I will get him up early then, save us going back on the Friday if pos! Get the train from Sousse at 7am, better stay off the Jack Daniels the night before lol!!!!!! x

Black Mamba

RioGirl13 said:
Hi Everyone,
I did have an account with this forum but for some reason I kept having problems on trying to post so had to set up another account. It is still me KiwiGirl but my true nickname is Rio!! lol..I just had a quick question in regards to this marriage topic and also the topic of maiden names.

I never knew my real father. In the early days, I had used his surname as my maiden name. My step father pretty much brought me and my sister up from a young age. When I turned 18, I decided to change my maiden name to my step father's family name by deed poll. This made it easier for passport documents, etc. because the whole family then had the same surname. My original birth certificate still has my original surname though!!

My question is...if I marry my guy, should I sign my original surname or 'changed' surname?? I don't want the Tunisian authorities to look at me weird cause my birth certificate has a different surname to the one on my passport!! I want the process to go as smooth as possible should I decide to marry my guy (which by the way, he asked me too!! yay!!..but thats another story) hehe

Hope someone could kindly help me =)

Kindest regards,
Rio

You should sign by the name that appears on your passport :)

Khaled Zaram

Hi I have just come back from getting married in Sousee, you will need a mdeical certificate for both of you birth cert dated within 3 weeks for both of you so suggest you get yours the week b4 you fly out your coni 2 passport photos decree absolute if you were married b4.

You can check where you want to marry what dates they have available when i went Mo checked b4 i arrived only to be told that they were fully booked so he bookde a date with a notary who came to the hotel a bit more expensive but much nicer at the end of the day i thought.

When u arrive in tunisia you both go to embassy pay the fee to them and give them your papers they will then ask you to come back the net day and collect the piece of paper giving you permission to marry they will not issue this onthe same day hun so its 2 trips i afraid. Youthen give this paper to the person marrying you along with all your other docs, our lady was very good she got everything translated for us to in the price she gave us.

Hope this help good luck enjoy ur day.

x Karen

catwoman1

Thanks. i told him to go into Port El Kantoui its on his way to work so easier for him. Someone suggested there as many tourists. Failing that I will get him to go up to the Medina xx

lourodos

Banned
Hi All, Does anyone know what needs to be done after marriage with papers? Does the marriage cert need to be translated at embassy again to English? How do I go about changing my name?

sheesha_chick

Hi Lourodos,

I got married the other week and hubby obtained two copies of the marriage cert because I explained I needed to get things sorted here.

You can get the cert translated in to English over here - it is costing me £35, just do a web search. Its probably cheaper than the Embassy. You need an English translation to change your driving licence and passport, however my bank have said that they will accept the Arabic copy and get it translated themselves.

Hope this helps x

foxylady

lourdos,
when i changed my name the bank just took a photocopy of the arabic certificate!! My passport driving licence and national insurance and all that needed an english copy so when we got married we got an arabic and a french certificate, if your are in tunisia i recommend you get it translated over there but i got ours translated here once all the stamps were on, the passport office seem to be a bit strict on having those translated too.... xxx hope this helpss.xxx

MellieC

we had a French civil notice too, and had both translated into English in Hammamet, signed and sealed. and the bank, DVLA, DWP, gas, electric water etc got a French copy with English photocopy, they had the choice ~ like it or lump it! this is my name! passport was back within a week!

you don't have to "do" anything with them, you don't have to register the marriage (which had to be done at the British embassy in Tunis) all that does is put you on the GRO register of overseas marriages.

your marriage certificate is valid, your marriage is recognised by UK law.

My sister in law had just an Arabic copy of her marriage, and when it got translated (a year or so later) she was not impressed with its content lol

the Arabic copies are very pretty, but of no real use in the UK as they are unreadable, at least the civil copy in French is easy to work out what it says lol

SouSou

Right, I was told that I needed a new copy of my birth certficate so I called my council and they told me it take up to 3 weeks and I recieved it on the 13th July!..and now i'm hearing your birth certificate has to be 21 days old is this true and were does it state this..and if so when should get another new one I'm gettin marrid on the 17th August!
Thanks
Stressed Bride!!

crazypink

Thats true hun - needs to be less than 21 days old. I was able to get mine on the same day and did it a week b4 travellin. Good luck with ur wedding!!
x x x x x x x x x x x x x

ilovebdt

Hi

The best person to speak to is the Birth, Deaths and Marriages office of the area where you were born.
I was born in Kent and they offer the standard three week service, and as Crazy Pink says there is also the option of a fast track service which you pay a bit more for or going in person and obtaining the certificate while you wait.

Good luck

ilovebdt

catwoman1

I was just in to my local registrar the other day and they said I can get a full copy of birth certificate the same day, costs £14 x

sheesha_chick

Thats unusual - a 3 week service? My local registry office in Doncaster does it on the same day. But yeah it needs to be less than 21 days old when you get married hun xx

bubzy05

is it the only way....

it may sound like such a silly question....
is marriage the only way to get a visa to the uk??
or is there another way you could get a partner to come live with you in uk??

bubzy05

i ask as i dont feel quite ready for marriage...

BRISASSS

it have to be another ways...i'm sure someone will give you the right answer..xxx

ROULLA

Hi bubzy05, hope that you are in good health! I know of quite a few Tunisians that have come to the UK on there say 3/6 months visa and then outstay there time...harder way though...