Getting Married In tunisia

Trulymadlydeeply

I did think you needed your fathers permission if under 20 years old, for the bride and the groom! Not sure whether or not it would make your marriage illegal pinklady???? I would check it out though.

pinklady

i have had it checked!!

woudlg

yea woudlg my marriage is legal thank you!! i spoke to the embassy and the registra about the laws of marrying and we were ok!! my mum did not have to sign anything!!

Sorry if I offended you - it wasn't meant that way. It's just that your marriage is only legal here in the UK if you have married according to the laws of the country in which you married. I'm only stating a fact.

ROULLA

Hi Everyone,

Not everyone has a father around for whatever the reason, i am 99% sure that Tinawright will be able to marry and that it will be legal....My opinion anyway

woudlg

If you're satisfied that it is legal, then that's fine. But, I only wanted to raise the point as the advice you give may be misleading for others. I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

woudlg

Perhaps some overlook the law if it's a European female rather than a Tunisian? I don't know?

woudlg

Taken from the Embassy website:

My fiancé(e) and I wish to marry in Tunisia. Is this possible?
Yes, under the local law of Tunisia, if you meet all the requirements of the law. For example: To marry here you have to be over 20 years of age or have your father’s consent. A divorced woman cannot re-marry until a period of three months has lapsed since her divorce, a widow until four months and 10 days after the death of her spouse. Marriage of a man younger than 20 or a woman under 17 is not allowed. A Moslem woman cannot be married to a man who is not a Moslem. No marriages are solemnised at the Embassy.

SEANITA

Just putting in my 2 pence worth. Asking my husband about this one as I type. He says it is the man who needs to be 20 and the girl can marry when she is 18.

jacqui0414

yeah i believe that is true if the girl is from tunisia

woudlg

Coyote, do you know what happens if the bride-to-be doesn't have a father? Does it fall to the mother, brother, family elder etc. to give permission?

Dizziblonde

dont forget the medical papers

anderson

when getting married in tunisia, does it make it recognised or legal in england too

i wondered if someone could help me with a question! im getting married this year in tunisia but it occured to me that i hadnt thought about the fact of does it make it legal and recognised in england. i know im surpose to get the marriage papers translated in english anyway but i didnt know if im then classed as being married here too! or do i have to get married again here.

pej

Best of luck with your wedding plans, just getting the right papers just the way they want them at the place where you are getting married is UUUGGGGHHH

But yes your marriage will be vaild everywhere - however you must register the documents in the UK as countries don't send each other lists of who got married... No need to do the marriage over - you can have a renewal of vows of something if you wish of course. Don't make the mistake of one girl I knew, she actually thought a Tunisian marriage was not legally valid in the UK so didn't tell anyone but went aheaed and planned a huge wedding with her family. Well, after a discussion it dawned on her that she had in fact been married already for almost a year and shortly before the big white wedding had to tell her family this... and why they had not been invited, I suppose!

anderson

i know tell me about it lol. never thought it would be so complicated. but as far as i can see i cant really do a lot until nearer the time as the cni and birth certificate have to be 4 and 6 weeks old dont they, so thats the frustrating thing lol not being able to do alot now. ok so i just go to my local registry office and register it there, the same place i get the cni from yes? thank you for that, its a big help. and thanx for the advice lol all family and friends are coming with me lol x x

Mezoo

VIP Member
But yes your marriage will be vaild everywhere-!

Maybe in England or even the U.S.,,,but what a hassle if you are American.

For an American it is MUCH easier to get the finance visa for your Tunisian and enter into the US and then marry. (Man or Woman)
This also eliminates many of the "rats" who can't get passed the visa issue thing !! :) I wouldn't marry in Tunisia first if possible.

Then with that bridge crossed return to Tunisia and marry there !
The heartache and butt pain I've seen over 20 years of folks and friends that married first in Tunis and tried to legitimatize it in the the U.S. have went through H_LL.

Just a thought, don't know if England has a "finance visa" thing though.

John :cool::cool::cool

pej

As for the validity of the birth ceritificate, it actually varies from place to place. I think I had only 3 weeks which is not such a big problem here as you just go the the office and they give it to you straight away - or you phone in and get it in the mail in one or two days. then it's "just" the question of when it pleases the registrar to marry you so it doesn't expire because you can't get a date...

pej

Maybe in England or even the U.S.,,,but what a hassle if you are American.

For an American it is MUCH easier to get the finance visa for your Tunisian and enter into the US and then marry. (Man or Woman)
This also eliminates many of the "rats" who can't get passed the visa issue thing !! :) I wouldn't marry in Tunisia first if possible.

Then with that bridge crossed return to Tunisia and marry there !
The heartache and butt pain I've seen over 20 years of folks and friends that married first in Tunis and tried to legitimatize it in the the U.S. have went through H_LL.

Just a thought, don't know if England has a "finance visa" thing though.

John :cool::cool::cool

You mean the U.S. takes upon itself to tell people they are not married? Or is this that they declare ppl got married with the wrong intent (only for papers) and therefor won't issue visas? You will still be married though.

This finance visa, is that the fiancée visa? You can get that in England too, I beleive you have to get married within six months or is it sooner? Anyway it seems interesting that in an attempt to keep unqualified applicants out you will sooner let ppl in to marry in the U.S. rather than allowing ppl that are already married to enter - seems to me that this might not keep rats out... I also assume that you don't really mean that ppl have to get married twice (U.S. first and Tunisia later) as you can actually not remarry someone without divorcing them - but leave it to the Tunisians to bring on a big celebration if you let them! *party party*

Trulymadlydeeply

A few girls on here have not registered their marriages here but they are still legal in the UK. I registered mine at the British Consulate in Tunis and they sent it to the relevant place in the UK, where it was translated into English also.

Mezoo

VIP Member
You mean the U.S. takes upon itself to tell people they are not married?

Don't know about that one,,,but my experience,,,with many people and friends is it's easier for Americans,,,that's all.
And who can venture a guess anyway what a government is doing with some of these goofy rules and requirements. It's only love after all !!:):):):)