Great British Winter Comfort Food

Loubna

:)

MellieC

you just mentioned 2 of freds favourites lol put a bit of harissa in the mash for the top of the shepards pie ~ he would fight you for it lol

dunno if any of you eat Quorn sausages? very tasty was my opinion of them lol so quorn sausages, mashed potato, swede and gravy ~

MellieC

Morning Mel,

I've never tried Quorn but worth a try I suppose. Swede is in season and delicious mashed and mixed with carrot and squash to sweeten it up.
xx
yup, i add other veg, half goes in the sausage and mash, half goes in a brit stew lol (put harissa in that too lol)

i bought quorn sauasages by mistake once, (you know when people pick things up that are chaper and put the expensive down rather than take it back a few steps in the aisle in the supermarket lol) i thought i had Beef sausage lol anyway wasn't going to throw them away or take them back i decided to try them and was pleasantly surprised!

MellieC

Harissa in the mash......................now that's an idea Mel I might try that;)
xx
i point blank refuse to put harrissa in custard, but most things get a blob when they are being mixed, it keeps fred quiet lol

ROULLA

I thought I would start a thread to celebrate british food............if the brits do anything well it is there winter warmers.

It's winter it's freezing 5 0C in London this morning, there is a recession on and the winter has set in. Comfort food time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband's favourite all time favourite is 'Shepherd's Pie', cheap to make 250g mince mixed with mixed veg can make 2 large dishes of this delicious comfort food. (top tip: frozen has veg has often more nutrition than some fresh stuff)
Today I'm going to make family favourite roast chicken, roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings.......totally yum!

Now who said the brits can't cook:D

Share your winter warmers and if you have special recipe that would be great!

xx
Good morning Loubna hope that you and your family are well and also keeping warm! It is really cold outside. I also make shepards pie but i add mince meat and ontop i add mashed pots with sweet pots , carrots and i also add harissa in the mince meat with my toms and yes it really does taste nice and very cheap to make. My husband won't eat anything without harissa but saying that he is from the Cap bon:) and as you may know they put loads of harissa in their food in Nabeul.

ROULLA

I tell you what else is a nice and cheap thing to make, macorroni cheese with plenty of Mozarella cheese or i also use hallomi cheese ontop with home made cream.. Cheap and cheerful:)

ROULLA

oh yeah nice one but Roulla hallomi is not cheap:confused: but is definitely cheerful, thanks:D

xx
Halloumi is only around £2.00 and you don't have to use all of it, i buy it is a packet of 5 and thats ust under a tenner and i freeze them for when i need it, another cheese which i like using is a very hard Greek cheese which is called Anari and you really do not have to use alot of that either because it is so hard once you start to grate it loads starts to appear.:) But you can also buy grated mild grated cheese which is only around £1.50 a packet. I also like the cheese that they use in Tunisia which is called Rape which you can buy from any halal butchers. What a name for a packet of cheese:eek:

ROULLA

I remember when i was a kid and money was tight my aunties favourite meal that she would make for us would have been tode in the hole...Have i spelt that wrong:eek:

ROULLA

Thanks Roulla!

I have seen the big packs in Yasar Halim but i usually just buy one, i thought it was more than £2. I'm so daft of course if it's grated it will go further.........i usually grill slices so a pack lasts no time.
Going to try your macaroni later in the week and let you know how it goes.
xx
Are you kidding me you go to Yasar Halim:eek: so do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii when i am able to..But the only problem with going in there is that you come out with bags and bags of cakes, my sons favourite shop:)

caveatemptor

I remember when i was a kid and money was tight my aunties favourite meal that she would make for us would have been tode in the hole...Have i spelt that wrong:eek:
Should be "toad" as in frog Roulla. My favourites, steak snd kidney pudding, beef or chicken casserole with dumplings, spotted **** and custard. Sticks to your ribs a treat.

caveatemptor

Should be "toad" as in frog Roulla. My favourites, steak snd kidney pudding, beef or chicken casserole with dumplings, spotted **** and custard. Sticks to your ribs a treat.
Just noted that **** has been changed to asterisks. It is an old English name for pudding so who is being so sensitive.

newtosousse

I love Apple crumble with fresh cream.

marhaba

Riadh loves my lasagne and my chicken soup. I think i mite make soup for tonight now lol..

lynn

you are all making me hungry now, I just had cheese on toast with beans on top.
Pointless cooking a roast when I live alone ..

Brownie

i point blank refuse to put harrissa in custard, but most things get a blob when they are being mixed, it keeps fred quiet lol
Haha, I was looking for ideas for cooking for a Tunisian friend. Now I can see it's easy, just cook as I would normally but add a spoonful of harissa :D Now if I can just think how to incorporate it into a roast chicken dinner .......

Marie1959

Hubby wont eat much at all thats is English spend most days making pasta, Kanounia, Loubia got a chinese last night but he wasnt impressed. I let him make the couscous tho he does that best he hates mince so sometimes do a chilli con carne but used diced lamb.
Wish he would give some things more of a chance but he just doesnt like.
Swiss Roll goes down well tho and chocolate cake lol

ROULLA

Hi Mr C hope that you and all the C's are all in good health! Thank you for correcting me, Mr C do you like Christmas pud because i must admit that is one thing that i won't eat but i do remember when i was young a long long time ago when i was at school and we use to go to the Pie mash shop on a friday and that was a treat.But i use to take all the meat out of the pie and i loved the mash, still do like mash with plenty of Anchor butter.:)

caveatemptor

Mrs.A once cooked roast beef and Yorkshire pudding for one of our Tunisian friends, he wanted some harissa to go with it, Miss A.(gem15) tore him off a strip saying you can only have horseradish sauce and English mustard. Guess what? the mustard was too hot for him!

caveatemptor

Hi Mr C hope that you and all the C's are all in good health! Thank you for correcting me, Mr C do you like Christmas pud because i must admit that is one thing that i won't eat but i do remember when i was young a long long time ago when i was at school and we use to go to the Pie mash shop on a friday and that was a treat.But i use to take all the meat out of the pie and i loved the mash, still do like mash with plenty of Anchor butter.:)
Hi Roulla, Christmas pud is only served with DEVON clotted cream in our house.

ROULLA

Haha, I was looking for ideas for cooking for a Tunisian friend. Now I can see it's easy, just cook as I would normally but add a spoonful of harissa :D Now if I can just think how to incorporate it into a roast chicken dinner .......
Hi Brownie and welcome to the forum. What about making a sauce with tom puree, garlic, chopped onions and even red and green chilli pepers with some harissa. Then when you season and place your chicken in the oven cover it with the sauce and place foil over it..You can even add the pots as well.. Plenty of veg on the side with olive oil.. Make sure that you add a few cups of water to your sauce and that can be their harissa:)