Health surcharge

feefad

Not sure how this may affect visa applications going forward. Embassy posted on their Facebook page.

From 6 April, all nationals from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) coming to the UK for longer than six months will be required to pay a ‘health surcharge’ as part of their visa application.

Those who have paid the surcharge or are not required to do so because they are exempt will be able to access the National Health Service (NHS) in the same way as a permanent UK resident.

The surcharge will ensure that those coming to work, study and join family in the UK make an appropriate financial contribution to the cost of the health services they may use whilst in the UK.

The health surcharge will be £200 per year and £150 per year for students and will be paid online for the total period of their UK visa. Dependants will generally pay the same amount as the main applicant.

The surcharge does not apply to anyone applying for a visitor visas. However, non EEA visitors will continue to be fully liable for the costs of any NHS treatment at the point they receive it. The surcharge will apply to relevant visa applications submitted and paid for from 00:01 (UK time) on 6 April 2015.

Certain groups will be exempt from the surcharge and will continue to receive free NHS care. These include Australian and New Zealand nationals and visa applications for Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer. Tier 2 intra-company transfers, Australian and New Zealand nationals must still complete the process on the surcharge web site. They will be informed the payment is nil and receive a unique surcharge reference number. This reference is needed for their immigration application to confirm their exemption from the surcharge.

Further information, including about exemptions, is available on the UK government web site.

Jane BM

People will now have to pay the cost for the length of their visa , so effectively till they get FLR, and they have to pay it up front with their visa fee.

feefad

Someone else said you also need to pay with FLR. Extra pennies to an already expensive process.

luna06

More money to spend I can't believe this :( we are planing to send hubby's application by beginning of may, so how much more do we have to pay on the top of the application fee? Does anyone knows?

Jane BM

Someone else said you also need to pay with FLR. Extra pennies to an already expensive process.
Yeah you will....a 2nd instalment of £500 till you get to ILR!

Jane BM

More money to spend I can't believe this :( we are planing to send hubby's application by beginning of may, so how much more do we have to pay on the top of the application fee? Does anyone knows?
It should be about £500....

luna06

Jane BM

Th

Thanks Jane, so I supposed there should be a new application adding the new fee?
Well I would HOPE that any applications made from next week, which is when it comes into force, should have it with it!!

feefad

From what Jane says it's gonna be added to visa costs.

robynnehm

So just gone to do all the visa application and ihs and the websites not working. And the person manning the desk is the rudest person I've ever spoken to. How are we supposed to pay for everything once we've set up the application and booked the appointment when the website isn't allowing me to select a title for my husband... there's just no option... ive got 2 hours left or ive to start all over again!!! Ffs!!!! Any idea what I can do??x

scotty_bambam

You can save the application and go back to it

scotty_bambam

Why does hubby need a title?

robynnehm

It's says all his details... but when you go save and continue woth his details for the ihs there's a drop down box for his Mr miss or Mrs title... and nothing drops down.. so you cane choose which then means I cannot continue. I've missed the 3 hour cut off to pay so ill have to do it again. The website is down by the looks of things x wonderful.

scotty_bambam

Poor you hope it's fixed later x