HELP PLEASE Marrying in Tunis

Hi everyone

I'm due to marry my tunisian fiance in March due to work commitments I can only have 1 week off. He visited his local municipal and book our date of 14th march. I arrive on the 10th. I'm booking to go to the embassy for translation of coni on 11th. But today the municipal call him and say they need all the correct paperwork for 10 days before we can marry there. Is this correct and if it is is there anything we can do to still get married within the week? I have told him to try other places but the man there tell him everywhere need all documents for 10days. If it is wrong does anyone have an address for a municipal we can use in Tunis please. I have my appointment on Friday to sort out coni so I'm so time restricted it's stressing me out.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
You have to do what they say.

Its a pain in the arse I had to give them an original CONI from Norwich Via DHL expensive post the week before I arrived.

If they dont like it they wont do it.

My advice is ask if they can use a local court certified translator (like Ramzi does for me) and if so it cuts out the trip to Tunis (possibly).

When i got married they did not play by the rules but since they are marrying you they can do as they like.

It's ok we have sorted it and just in time for my coni so all is back on track

Sosh

It's ok we have sorted it and just in time for my coni so all is back on track
Hi Rachel, I just wondered if you could give me some advice as you seem to have been in a similar situation to me. I am taking my family out to Tunisia to meet my fiance and all of his family for a week at the end of May/start of June. After booking everything, we decided this would be a good opportunity for us to get married with both our families present, as getting his family over here for a wedding would be quite the task.
I gave notice at my register office and get my CONI in a couple of weeks, but now someone has told my fiance that when she got married she had to wait 2 weeks for the embassy to issue her with the Tunisian copy. Granted this was 10 years ago, but now I'm worried that we won't be able to get married in the week that we had planned. There was no mention of waiting times on the embassy website and nobody mentioned it to my fiance when he called up the municipality in Hammamet. We arrive on the Monday, I was planning on going to Tunis either in the afternoon or early on the Tuesday for the embassy appointment, and then getting married on the Friday or Saturday. From your experience (or anyone else's), is this at all possible? Congrats on your future wedding, hope you have a great day.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
You can call the embassy and ask the waiting times.

+216 71 108 700

I would also speak to your registrar and get the requirements from the horses mouth.

Hi

You need to get your birth certificates translated. I did this in hammamet he did this for me in a couple hours and whilst we waited we got our doctors certificate. I had an appointment at the British embassy at 10:30 on the Tuesday they translated the coni whilst we waited was out of there by 11 they prefer you to pay by card than cash. We didn't get married at a municipality because we would of had to wait 10 days. We gave the documents to an advocate on the Tuesday he did what he needed to do and he came and married us on the Thursday at the place we got married. So it is possible to do in a week but its alot of running around and my husband n I both said never again. Bless him he is still trying to sort everything out now because when they translated our marriage papers to English they had spelt my home town and birth town wrong.

Good luck and all I will say is enjoy it but it will be a long day! Let us know how you get on x

O what I forgot to say is book the appointment for the embassy a month before you leave when we got married it was only open on a Tuesday and Thursday but I think in the summer they are open on a Monday also

Sosh

Hi

You need to get your birth certificates translated. I did this in hammamet he did this for me in a couple hours and whilst we waited we got our doctors certificate. I had an appointment at the British embassy at 10:30 on the Tuesday they translated the coni whilst we waited was out of there by 11 they prefer you to pay by card than cash. We didn't get married at a municipality because we would of had to wait 10 days. We gave the documents to an advocate on the Tuesday he did what he needed to do and he came and married us on the Thursday at the place we got married. So it is possible to do in a week but its alot of running around and my husband n I both said never again. Bless him he is still trying to sort everything out now because when they translated our marriage papers to English they had spelt my home town and birth town wrong.

Good luck and all I will say is enjoy it but it will be a long day! Let us know how you get on x
This makes me a bit more hopeful! I am willing to offer bribes to get things done quicker haha
I'm constantly checking on the embassy page for them to update the appointment schedule and add dates in May so I'll book one as soon as possible. If you remember the details of the translator and doctor you used in Hammamet could you possibly message them to me as that's where we're staying so would be a lot easier to do it there rather than in Tunis.
Is the advocate the same as the notary? That's what my fiance is calling him, I guess he'd be a registrar in the UK, but not heard advocate.
Fiance isn't a happy bunny that this is all happening during Ramadan but it can't really be helped if we want both our families there.
I'm trying to big up that it's good that it's during Ramadan and on Friday... "how lucky are we to get married during the last 10 days of Ramadan, and on a Friday as well?!" but not sure I'll feel that way after the first few days of running around like a mad woman whilst fasting. The things we do for love!

Sosh

Haha sorry for some reason thought 10th March hadn't happened yet...
Congratulations on your wedding!