Help regarding separation and ILR

Hello,
Bit of long shot but hoping someone can help.
My husband (soon to be ex) is coming up to 5 years in UK. We have struggled throughout this 5 years and do not get along at all. The plan was that after he has his ILR he is moving out and we are seperating. This would have happened a lot sooner but we have 2 children and I thought it best that he could be in the country to see them grow up (though I have strong suspicion that when he has his visa they will be less of a priority). I have clung onto this thought for so long knowing that one day he will move out and I can finally feel like myself again but I am becoming increasingly worried that I will get into trouble doing it this way. Is it a requirement on the ILR that we state we are planning on staying together or does it not matter as in effect I will no longer be his sponsor? Can anyone help?? Last thing I want is to get into trouble because of him. Thanks very much

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
Bit of long shot but hoping someone can help.
My husband (soon to be ex) is coming up to 5 years in UK. We have struggled throughout this 5 years and do not get along at all. The plan was that after he has his ILR he is moving out and we are seperating. This would have happened a lot sooner but we have 2 children and I thought it best that he could be in the country to see them grow up (though I have strong suspicion that when he has his visa they will be less of a priority). I have clung onto this thought for so long knowing that one day he will move out and I can finally feel like myself again but I am becoming increasingly worried that I will get into trouble doing it this way. Is it a requirement on the ILR that we state we are planning on staying together or does it not matter as in effect I will no longer be his sponsor? Can anyone help?? Last thing I want is to get into trouble because of him. Thanks very much

How will you be in trouble?

Only you and him know it is not genuine and you are living together.

I am not condoning it or anything but seriously how will anyone know?

Maybe you get on again, maybe you dont there is no planning for every situation.

In cases such as this unless you turn him in and have a blow out separation/divorce before that and not living together are clear cut if that makes sense.

I thought perhaps for committing fraud as I would have to declare that I am intending on living with him permanently which I am not planning on doing. I know what you are saying but then I just worry it’s going to look a bit suss that he gets his settlement then 3 months later we aren’t living at same address but I am guessing that they won’t do much checking up after visas are granted? Thanks for reply xx