holiday in tunisia

shona

I am due to go back to Tunisia at the start of September for holiday at the marhaba palace.
At the moment I'm undecided about what to do, I enjoy holidays there so much the hotels are amazing the people are so helpful and friendly it's all such a shame.
I have opted to wait until the end of the month and sort of wait and see.

missmetal

Probably best to wait it out....personally I would not be back there in a hurry and I dont trust that any area is safe right now.

Scottochott

These attacks are worldwide, there is no doubt Tunisia sits in a higher risk group, but personally I won't change travel plans however the situation and facts on the ground are very fluid, keep an eye on govt advice and take sensible precautions. Staying away from high concentration tourist areas seems sensible, and choosing a place to stay which is either well guarded or off the beaten track seems advisable. Everyone has their own risk limits, and I don't blame people who choose to stay away but applaud those who do choose to visit.

shona

One day i
One day I feel the same way you do then the next I think it may be the safest place with all the extra security, the whole of the med is on high alert, would they really go back to the same strip of hotels twice?

missmetal

Its very brave for those who choose to go, but sorry its not the same like every other country. We are more vulnerable when we are abroad and it happens over there than how I would feel if it were here. Plus its more random on our own lands than when its targeted specifically as westerners. Go if you want to go, but in MY opinion, its not over if ISIS and their sheep have their way, and tourist or off the beaten track are both targets.

Aslemma

I don't think those of us who decide we will still go think of ourselves as particularly brave, but simply that we are determined not to let these terrorists rule our lives. I am sure we can all fully understand those who feel Tunisia is not a place they want to visit for the foreseeable future, but we accept that nowhere is safe these days, so prefer to carry on as normal, whilst taking reasonable precautions. A few months ago our local hospital in Essex had an explosive device planted in one of its corridors. We all hope it was a 'one off' but don't stop keeping our hospital appointments.

shona

I have been asking a lot of people what they would do and I would say that 60% are saying they would go if they had already booked, one person also said he had looked at trying to book a holiday there but was unable to do so as Thomson are currently not taking bookings

deb123

I have been asking a lot of people what they would do and I would say that 60% are saying they would go if they had already booked, one person also said he had looked at trying to book a holiday there but was unable to do so as Thomson are currently not taking bookings
I was fortunate to return fom Tunisia a few days before this terrible tragedy and have had and are still going through all the emotions anger at the terrorists sympathy for the victims and their family's sorrow for the Tunisians who feel so bad this has happened in their country concern for my Tunisian friends and their family's but at the end of the day I will be returning to tunisia because if I don't then they will have won and then we will not be free !

Aslemma

My sentiments too Deb. i returned from Sousse on 23rd May and still hope to return at the end of October.

shona

I talked to a friend I have there and I think if I do go the only thing I would change is the transfer from the airport, rather than get on the tour bus my friend is happy to collect me from the airport

Jane BM

It's all about personal choice and peoples perception of how safe they feel......not a chance do I want to be sat on a beach surrounded by armed police, the fact that it's necessary would put me right off. Some people have more of a vested interest in going to Tunisia than others, so understandable that they will continue to go.

Jane BM

And it wasn't so long ago when people were asking whether it was safe to go, that the response was yes, but make sure you stay in the tourist areas and not off the beaten track.....so clearly there is no 'odds' as to which is safer or not.

shona

It's strange that the tunis attack did not deter me however this one feels closer to home as I recognize some of the staff faces from news and had only recently been there

Aslemma

There are no easy answers, but my thoughts are that we are perhaps safer in places where there are a lot of locals, such as the Medina, where there is more decent locals who deplore these atrocities, as the terrorists don't seem to want to kill the moslems, only the tourists.

annibee

im waiting too but to be honest im hoping for a refund if the cancel my flight end august. just dont feel safe there anymore and it was only a couple of years ago that they tried to blow rhiad palms and 2 other hotels up a lot have forgot about that. i live in hope :(

Aslemma

The TOs don't seem prepared to offer refunds, only a change of date or holiday, which is useless for those who want to visit family or whose work won't let them change their holiday dates

shona

Thanks for all you input guys, I'm still undecided, I think much will depend on what my sister wants to do, at the moment she's clearly not keen to go however we have decided to leave it until the end of the month to see what happens

shona

Are an of the forum members in the area at the moment? If so have you seen security improvements?

scotty_bambam

I would think the safest place to be right now I'd where the attacks were.I'm having to go in October to bring our dog to UK and give hubby his visa application papers.I'm absolutely terrified and don't want to go ,but feel I have no choice.I'm scared they will target planes and airport (as has been stated in a news post on here)with pale skin and blond hair I stick out a mile,and with a dog and a giant travel crate I can hardly slip in discreetly.