holiday in tunisia

shona

I would think the safest place to be right now I'd where the attacks were.I'm having to go in October to bring our dog to UK and give hubby his visa application papers.I'm absolutely terrified and don't want to go ,but feel I have no choice.I'm scared they will target planes and airport (as has been stated in a news post on here)with pale skin and blond hair I stick out a mile,and with a dog and a giant travel crate I can hardly slip in discreetly.

Awe thats such a shame honey, I do feel for you, at least I have a choice on if I should go or not, it must be so difficult for those who need to be there due to family/ work commitments

lynn

My Daughter was due to go Tunisia tomorrow she was very excited we do love it there. She had a full refund and is going Bulgaria now tomorrow. I wont be going Tunisia for a long time it has put me off...I love it there but value my life too.

annibee

My Daughter was due to go Tunisia tomorrow she was very excited we do love it there. She had a full refund and is going Bulgaria now tomorrow. I wont be going Tunisia for a long time it has put me off...I love it there but value my life too.
who was she booked with? im hoping for a refund but t.cook just giving changes at the mo far as i know. thanks x

Aslemma

If her trip to Bulgaria was with the same TO it would be a change rather than a refund and these are being allowed. This is acceptable for those who simply want a holiday, but no use whatsoever to others, either because they were visiting family etc. in Tunisia or can't find something affordable or at a convenient time.

feefad

Friend at work had to change rather than refund. She's ended up paying more for half board as tunisian all inclusive was such good prices.

sass

I am returning to Tunis at the end of the month, I also went the day after the Bardo shooting, but I have personal reasons for returning, depends on how you rate personal risk. I also took my holiday 4 weeks after the Sharm el Sheikh bomb 10 years ago, no one can decide for another on personal safety, I would not go if I felt I could not still enjoy my time there.

kalie

I am still going at end of August, I stay well away from where the attacks were, if another attack happened towards that time I might consider changing , but its probably the safest place to be as there will be more police and military about. No one seems to mention the people still going to Tunisia on holiday or the people that stayed on to finish their breaks,after the attack.

sass

You're absolutely right, there seems to be alot of negative press, but I know people who are still returning next year and many people continued their holidays after the tradegy. I hope so much they can recover from the actions of the people intent on destroying Tunisian life. I hope you have a safe and enjoyable holiday Kalie.

feefad

It's the fear of the unknown and so totally understandable. They didn't predict that the beach would be attacked and it's that while thing that it could happen anywhere that's causing the fear. Just need the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time. Granted that wrong place could be anywhere in the world but 2 attacks in Tunisia in the space of months makes it a bigger risk for people.

Essem

Staff member
There was another attack (in caserne/barracks near Tunis) between these two but only Tunisians killed. Mixed reports about shooter having had family problems but security expert stated that he'd been brainwashed and turned on his colleagues. He shot 8 and wounded apporx another 14.

feefad

I forgot about that as initially when it came out it said he had no links to anything and then the story changed. That plus the constant battling in the mountains / borders, I don't think we can blame anyone for wanting to avoid. I'm actually thankful that I'm not in the predicament of choosing to go or not as school holidays will be dictating our travel this year and the October week is ruled out as mini fad will be too little.

Jane BM

Apparently I've just heard that from July 19th Easyjet are pulling out of Tunisia.

Also been told by a rep over there that the 30tnd solidarity stamp which they abolished last week is now back in force, seems it was only a temporary measure and restarted yesterday.

kalie

Oh well I suppose it had to happen, my tour operator has emailed to say my flight unfortunately has been cancelled but they can offer me a flight the next day 29th August costing £10 more, on the one hand its disappointing , but on the other TC are still flying, at the moment :)
Feeling a bit peed off , but hey ho Shite happens I suppose:(

June

True about easyjet although not exactly pulling out, the don't have enough seats being booked from england to tunisia that's the reason.

Lola2312

I had arranged to move to tunisia permanently before the attack happened. I am now out here. Im not going to change my plans and whole life because of it but tbh if it wasnt for my fiancè, just for a holiday i wouldnt come.
i am in the area the attacks happened and although there is extra security i dont feel there is enough or in the right places.
a lot of people say to go where the locals are but my feelings are different.. we dont know who are terrorist, it could be anyone even family or friends in tunisia and that is what worries me most.

I am pale and blond hair, blue eyes and i get stared at a lot. Im not sure how much is friendly stares and for all i know i could walk past someone who is a terrorist and he could take opportunity to kill me.

It is very scary and although i feel ok here when i strt to think about it i become very nervous and paranoid.
we will leave tunisia asap

Aslemma

Terrorists want maximum impact, which they are unlikely to get from the murder of an individual tourist, so I think you are worrying unnecessarily on that score Lola. I would think most Tunisians would look at you with appreciation at your perceived support for them at this time when so many foreigners are staying away.

June

I agree, your fiancé I suppose has told u the same as above, don't hide yourself away, enjoy tunisia like u always have and continue to do so! It could happen anywhere in the world, don't let anyone ruin what is a beautiful country.

annibee

mine been cancelled on the 27th august too but told wed and sat flights still going. on this occasion i have accepted a refund and will keep my options open for my new year booking

Aslemma

It's great that you were able to get a refund Annibee as you can decide what to do later. I'm waiting for a possible heart operation at present so can't book anything for a while but still hope to be back in Sousse towards the end of October.

Lola2312

Thanks aslemma and june

I am not to worried in general and happy here at the moment. I have been to the beach a lot and its nice to see police patrolling occasionally. Too little, too late really.
my fiancè is a little bit worried as our apartment is a bit far out and his friends and family arent in immediate area but the tunisian lady who owns apartment is very nice to me and other foreign people here.

Its just such a shame this has happened. No tourists means tunisia will go downhill i feel and with even less jobs, what will happen :/