Hot Air Balloon, Menchia Beach

Essem

Staff member
Hi all, This summer saw a new attraction open just next to the Dreams Beach Hotel, Menchia Beach, Hamman Sousse. It's a fantastic tethered hot air balloon similar to the Bournemouth Eye. Cost is around 25 dinars per person. Well worth a visit - the panoramic views are superb.

Cathibou

Yes there is indeed a new attraction right opposite my apartment, unfortunately for the owners there isn't much business and it will be interesting how long it remains in its current form. There is talk of a mini golf range being built but I guess what it needs is one of the tourist operaters to adopt it as a tourist attraction with organised tours. It is down a narrow track and not something you just stumble upon.

Essem

Staff member
Hi Cathibou, we must be neighbours! Are you here at the moment?

samwella

I really wanted to try this out when we went in October but I went when they had the floods so never got chance, but is definately something for next time!

Cathibou

Hi Essem
No unfortunately not, I was there 16-23rd Dec we have an apt in Des Deux Mouettes.. will probably wait until it hots up a bit before next visit.

tater03

I have been on a hot air balloon ride before and it is definently something you should do if ever you get the chance. Hopefully they will add this to some kind of tour or something because it is something I think that a lot of people would enjoy doing while visiting. Thanks for sharing this one.

Essem

Staff member
Hi Cathibou, We are within minutes of each other. I live in the apartment block right on the beach next to Menchia Hotel - we've probably passed each other many times!! What a small world!

tater03

That is so cool that there are actual people on here that find out that they may have passed each other and never realized it.

Essem

Staff member
Did the hot air balloon trip today and managed to upload photos onto gallery section - look how blue the sky is - at hottest part of today it was 20 degrees!

ROULLA

Hi Essem,

Hope that you are in good health !
Looked at the gallery and your pictures are really nice, you must be on cloud nine......... Enjoy................

Essem

Staff member
Have put photo of what's left of the balloon today onto gallery. Unsure of whether it was the extremely windy weather and/or something technical that has caused this!!

katharina

Banned
Did the hot air balloon trip today and managed to upload photos onto gallery section - look how blue the sky is - at hottest part of today it was 20 degrees!
These hot air balloon rides look like so much fun. Are any of them ever taken up at sunset? That would be so lovely.

Essem

Staff member
Hi Katharina, This one didn't fly - it was a tethered balloon - went up to 150 metres giving you the most stunnig views of the coast. Usually here in the Scotland, hot air balloon flights go at dawn or dusk!

jools

Hi Essem,
I was in a hot air balloon many many years ago & sadly too young to remember much of the experience, which was probably just as well because my family tell me that the weather became very windy, very quickly & the balloon almost ended up landing in woodlands! However in Scotland the weather can be very unpredictable & change very quickly, so we don't always have the correct weather for such a thing, but I would imagine in Tunisia the view must be spectacular, it is certainly worth a trip on it & I must check it out when I get a chance to return.

jools

Essem

Staff member
Hi Jools, Have you seen today's picture of the balloon in the photo gallery? It was completely destroyed. Hopefully it will be replaced. I flew with Scotair at Biggar a couple of times but it is very weather dependant. It took us 3 attempts one year, they just won't risk flying if there is any chance of problems because of weather. Flew over Carstairs - fortunately didn't land inside instead ended up at West Linton.

jools

Hi Essem,

Yes I saw your pics in the gallery & yes I must agree, the balloon did look very much destroyed, what a shame! However I am sure that they will replace it because I would imagine it would be very popular with both the locals & tourists, & I certainly would love to see it & try it.
I also viewed some of your other photos on the gallery a few weeks ago but I decided to have another peek!!! because the views are spectacular & the sea looks beautiful, & more to the point it looks lovely & warm & that always makes me smile because I can never get enough of the sun!! It remains a total mystery why I was born in Scotland because I detest the cold & adore the sunshine & unfortunately we do not get much in the way of hot sunshine. Regardless of what people say about having too much sun - it most certainly makes me happier.
You are lucky that you didn't land in Carstairs because if you did you would probably never get out!!! I have never flown by Scotair before, but then everything & I literally mean everything, in Scotland is always totally dependable on the weather!!!

jools

Essem

Staff member
Hot Balloon now operational again - as from yesterday. It seems to be sponsored by Tunisie Telecom now.

After the January pics, when it was having a 'bad air day' - it's good to see it back in business again!

selz

Good good im sure they will get lots of responce with all this hot weather, i did 1 in devon a few weeks ago & id been waiting 2yrs 2 take it as the weather was never good.....:)

M

MEMO43

hi essem i also did the scotair balloon at Biggar - we crash landed in a farmers crop field...he wasnt too impressed that we flatened the crops as we were dragged along the ground on our side!

selz

lol....my idea of fun, we got shown the brace position the other wk but didnt use it thankfuly-well if my fella was in there wiv me it mite have bin a different opinion.!!!!!:)