How do I cancel my Tunisian nationality.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
More people asking...
What if someone comes to uk illegals from Tunisia did he aloud to give his nationality and become British ?
That would take years and a successful asylum application etc etc

I do not know the law regarding making yourself stateless.

It is known that some illegal immigrants destroy their documentation when they get to the UK the theory being a country cannot make one stateless so if they do not know where you are form how can they send you back etc.

A legal issue and professional advice required

IntiAlDiamond

I have seen so much disturbingly incorrect, "fake" news being posted that it is shocking. I will address every misunderstanding with as many details as possible.

First of all, the term "dual citizenship" does not entail only having two simultaneous citizenships - it is an old and outdated term for when people were born of mixed marriages and had questionable political allegiances. In today's global world, many people are moving around the world and aquiring citizenships from various nationstates. Some people (such as those born in the US) are not even aware that they are citizens, and when they have children, those children (too) are (by law) Americans!

I have three passports and am in the process of recieving another two - these passports make my life easier and give my children more options in life.

Well we have uk nationality and will be getting american nationality as well as we are moving there, so do not want tunisian nationality. I think the limit of nationalities is 2. So will keep uk and us.
This is incorrect. The UK, the US and Tunisia allow an infinite amount of citizenships other than their own (this isn't the case everywhere in the world: countries either allow you to have citizenship(s) other than their own, or they require you to have only theirs: e.g Singapore and Japan) but all three countries that you have mentioned require you to enter their territory using their passport.

Rabah when you have children with mixed nationality ie British / Tunisian, Tunisia does NOT recognise this, the child is Tunisian no ifs no buts!!!!
Not true. A child born to a Tunisian father (anywhere in the world, in or out of wedlock) is a Tunisian citizen (by birth) - such are the laws of Tunisia. If a child is born to a Tunisian father (in this case, in Tunisia), and he or she grows up in Tunisia and commits a crime for which they are then apprehended, the fact that the now-criminal is a Tunisian means that the British embassy cannot intervene to give support to this citizen.

Of course, if the Tunisian-British dual national has no family in Tunisia, the British embassy will inform his or her relatives in the UK of any deaths, births or arrests (with the British citizen's permission, of course), but they will not claim "him as one of them" (if that makes sense) and actively try to get him out of any troubles, unlike if he were entirely of (non-Tunisian origin)...

The child would, by virtue of birth to a British mother - who was either born in the UK or lived in the UK after being born elsewhere for the minimum time required before the child was born abroad - be a British citizen, and would have visa-free access to the US, EU, Canada, Australia, etc, even if he or she does not speak a word of English and has never set foot in the UK.

Several Americans I have met have renounced their US nationality, mainly for tax issues.
Yes, this is something only Americans are doing, due to FATCA (global taxation, and a major reason for which I would advise OP to not become a citizen of the US, as you can have mortgages/bank accounts closed and houses repossessed in Tunisia, for becoming a US citizen). South Africa also wishes to introduce a similar, but less-annoying taxation system where if you are South African and British and live in the UK, you don't pay taxes to Saffa, but if you are a citizen of the RSA and the UK but you live in Dubai, you pay taxes to South Africa because you are not a citizen of the UAE...

I believe that if your half Tunisian kids have not lived in Tunisia for at least 4 or 5 yrs then they are not automatic citizens. I saw that on another forum from someone who knew Tunisian law. They are not by default Tunisian. They have to live there for a period of time first.
Again, incorrect. I get what you're getting at, but no: children (and this was before the most recent change in the law which made things equal for Tunisians of both sexes married to foreigners) who were born outside of Tunisia, to a foreign father needed to be registered before they were 18, or "within a year of reaching the age of majority" or else the child would be considered entirely foreign (e.g nationality of the father) in Tunisia unless he or she chose to live for 5 years in Tunisia (with a residence permit, on the basis of investments, studies, marriage to a Tunisian, retirement, etc). The law has now been fixed (luckily for me, as a foreign man married to a Tunisian lady) and we can have as many children as we want far away from Tunisia and they'll still be fully fledged Tunisians.

Of equal relevance, is that neither the UK, the US or Tunisia "confiscate" or annul citizenship due to someone being outside of the respective countries for a long period of time. What's more, it's not that being outside of the UK for 50 years makes you inelligble to pass citizenship onto your children, but it's if you were born outside of the UK and didn't spend 4-5 years of your life as a child, or 4-5 years as an adult (presumably going to university, establishing life-long links in the UK, then that would stop you from being able to give citizenship to a child born abroad.

For example, ethnic Arab parents have a British passport due to living in the UK for 5-6 years and move to Dubai. Child is born in the UAE and is a citizen - unless that child finishes most of primary or secondary school, or at least works in the UK for a few years, the only way for them to be able to pass citizenship onto their children is to have their children born on British soil.

America has similar rules: French couple moves to the US for a few years and have a child. Family and child (now aged 3 or 4) moves back to France and the now-adult daughter her first child at age 40: the child, born in France and not speaking a word of English is automatically American as the first generation born outside of the US to someone "American by birth" is also American.

If that child lives for the majority of her life before the age of 14 in the US, then, at age 30, she he or she can become President of the United States (majority of childhood spent in the US + US citizenship at birth requirement met)

If I travel back to South Africa and use my other passports, I automatically lose my citizenship. I believe that to be the case in most countries.
No. That is only the case in South Africa. I have visited Ukraine with my British passport and I still have my Ukrainian citizenship.

Japan and Singapore, which allow dual citizenship to children from mixed couples, or those born with another citizenship given to them at birth, can keep both until 21 at which point they must chose.

South Africa allows people who have birth of another country (say, the US) to keep that citizenship, and require naturalised South Africans to renounce previous citizenships (and aquiring another citizenship after you become Saffa cancels your RSA citizenship) but this is a very weird, RSA-specific law. It is not common/normal practise around the world.

Surely if you leave the UK for a specific amount of time then you will no longer have the right to British nationality unless you was born and breed in the UK and even then I am not sure what happens.
If you have spent a certain period of time in your life in the UK, you can pass citizenship onto your offspring born abroad. The best thing to do when in doubt is to make sure that your child is born in the UK as there is the posibility that your child will need a visa in the passport of the citizenship of his or her father's country of origin if he or she is not a citizen at birth and it's a whole headache that I have never been through myself but get dizzy reading all the laws/procedures about.

It is known that some illegal immigrants destroy their documentation when they get to the UK the theory being a country cannot make one stateless so if they do not know where you are form how can they send you back etc.
It is possible to determine (through DNA tests, physical examinations, "interogations") if someone is from Syria, as most economic migrants from North Africa claim to be, or not, but there are certain political interests at play that would rather see the UK flooded with clandestines. Put simply, if "they" wanted them gone, they'd all be out in less than 48 hours. Unless you're raping and stealing, the Home Office looks the other way... unfortunately...