How does one apply for a USA visitor Visa

mbahri

Salam,

my fiance lives in tunis and we are trying to plan for him to come to USA this august/september 2012 so we can get married. He will be here approximately 2-3 months and then go back home to tunis. we are not applying for residency, maybe years later.

does anyone know what type of visa he needs, the process and what documents are necessary to apply for USA visa or sites that are online that explain how to apply? I don't think we want the K-1, he will be applying from Tunis.

your help is greatly appreciated. :)

Also, is it necessary to send proofs of my birth, identity card, income, bank statements, phone bills etc....?

I would love to get clarification on how this works...i think i will almost die if we do not get this right and he cannot come.

shukrun

Mezoo

VIP Member
visit visa is tough. he'll have to prove he is returning to tunisia after his visit. some things they'll consider, HIS work / school history, home ownership, money in the bank and more. nobody really knows for sure, "case to case", i'm sure and one thing probably does not apply to another thing, if you understand what i mean. good luck and it's smart to take it easy before doing the "K1" thing. cheers!!!

Tunisianbelle

You have to first decide what type of visa you are wanting - a visitors visa, or a K-1 so you can get married. There are different requirements for each.

For a visitors visa, the burden of proof is on HIM to prove that he can financially sustain himself while in the US, that he has significant ties to and plans to return back to Tunisia. This is usually proved by things such as job (the type of job is also taken into consideration), how long he has worked there, how much he makes, does he own any property? Any vehicles? How much money does he have in the bank? Is he responsible for anyone here in Tunisia? Has he ever traveled out of the country before and returned with no problems? If he HAS traveled, which countries has he visited (they want to make sure he is not an extremist/potential threat)?

For a K-1, the burden of proof is on YOU to prove that you can financially provide for him until he gets his citizenship. You will both be jointly responsible for proving that your relationship is genuine and not just for him to gain access into the US and acquire citizenship.

HollyLynn

well, my fiance and i applied for a visitor's visa (i'm American, he is Tunisian) and after being refused TWICE, was told that unless he is married or has children, a young tunisian (he's 24) will be denied every time!! I think it's being a bit prejudiced but their theory is, if they are young and unmarried and have no children, then they will stay..Not sure how a fiance visa would work out if he plans to go back and you wouldn't get approved in time for the months you specified..it's taking 5-12 months to be approved from what I've gathered :( Good luck!

Tunisianbelle

told that unless he is married or has children, a young tunisian (he's 24) will be denied every time!!
That isn't true, but I will be honest and say in the years I've been on forums, I have only known a few that have been able to get a visitors visa. My husband was able to get a visitors visa to the US while we were dating (he was about the age of E at the time).

It is not easy. They are looking for hard proof that the applicant (Tunisian) will return to their country. This is shown by things such as owning land, a house, a car, having money in the bank, having a good job/career that they cannot just walk away from, being the sole caretaker/caregiver of someone in the family, etc.

Embassies have always worked under the assumption that the applicant will not return unless proven otherwise. This is more true now after the Revolution since so many have fled to other countries.

Essem

Staff member
You have to first decide what type of visa you are wanting - a visitors visa, or a K-1 so you can get married. There are different requirements for each.

For a visitors visa, the burden of proof is on HIM to prove that he can financially sustain himself while in the US, that he has significant ties to and plans to return back to Tunisia. This is usually proved by things such as job (the type of job is also taken into consideration), how long he has worked there, how much he makes, does he own any property? Any vehicles? How much money does he have in the bank? Is he responsible for anyone here in Tunisia? Has he ever traveled out of the country before and returned with no problems? If he HAS traveled, which countries has he visited (they want to make sure he is not an extremist/potential threat)?

For a K-1, the burden of proof is on YOU to prove that you can financially provide for him until he gets his citizenship. You will both be jointly responsible for proving that your relationship is genuine and not just for him to gain access into the US and acquire citizenship.