ILR Visa

Tounsia

Hi all,

I'm sure there is another thread on the ILR visa but I can't seem to find it. Could someone point me in the right direction, or advise me on what I need to do. My husbands visa runs out in July 2015 and I read on the official website that anyone who applied for the visa after July 2012 should wait 5 years instead of 2. We got the visa in October/November 2012. Does anyone know what type of visa we need and if it's still the spouse one, what is the process for this. I'm super confused!

Thanks very much!

kassie

Hi all,

I'm sure there is another thread on the ILR visa but I can't seem to find it. Could someone point me in the right direction, or advise me on what I need to do. My husbands visa runs out in July 2015 and I read on the official website that anyone who applied for the visa after July 2012 should wait 5 years instead of 2. We got the visa in October/November 2012. Does anyone know what type of visa we need and if it's still the spouse one, what is the process for this. I'm super confused!

Thanks very much!
Hi Tounsia....Maybe go look on the UKBA site again..... and if you cannot find what you want come back here! Most info on that site is up to date.

Jane BM

Hi all,

Thanks very much!
All spouse visa applications which were submitted after July 2012 are under the new regulations. Yes it's still a spouse visa but you should now be applying for FLR (further leave to remain), which extends his current visa till you can apply for ILR.

Tounsia

All spouse visa applications which were submitted after July 2012 are under the new regulations. Yes it's still a spouse visa but you should now be applying for FLR (further leave to remain), which extends his current visa till you can apply for ILR.
Thanks Jane, that is very helpful.

curly

Does anyone know if once you have a spouse visa, how long you can leave the UK for? My partner an I were thinking of doing some travelling after we get the visa and if work gives me time off, but if it will effect him getting further leave to remain etc i dont want to do it!

lynn

depends on where you are travelling you would probably need a shengan visa for the country you are travelling to.

curly

depends on where you are travelling you would probably need a shengan visa for the country you are travelling to.
Thanks Lynn but I dont need to know how long he can stay in one country, I need to know how long he can LEAVE the Uk for once he has a spouse visa???

lynn

well once he has his spouse visa he has 5 years to travel it is just a matter of getting the shengan visa he don't have to stay in UK he can travel straight away .

curly

OK thanks, just checking it wont affect if we apply for him to remain in the UK in a few years if he hasnt been IN the Uk for the whole 2 duration of the visa??

lynn

as long as you have proved you have been together and have bills and so fourth in your name I don't see any problem...enjoy life I say..

Jane BM

No actually that's not strictly correct....there is a minimum amount of time you need to be in the UK, when you apply for ILR it asks for the details when you apply. Same for citizenship, if you've not spent a specific amount of time in the UK in consecutive years then you can't apply. I'll have a look and see if I can find it on the UKVI site, 90 days a year outside of the country rings a bell!

Last edited: