Immigration to US based on marriage process and timeline

starrysky12

We had everything translated because we are submitting all documents to the NVC first and they are forwarding to the embassy. I know some people bring documents with them though but I don't know how that works. Here's a link to the official government site that might be helpful.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/interview/prepare/interview-preparation-required-documents.html
Thank you. It says they do not need to be translated, but now I'm wondering what documents are needed. :/ Maybe they will tell us when his interview is set up and he receives the letter.

starrysky12

We had everything translated because we are submitting all documents to the NVC first and they are forwarding to the embassy. I know some people bring documents with them though but I don't know how that works. Here's a link to the official government site that might be helpful.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/interview/prepare/interview-preparation-required-documents.html
Nevermind - I'm an idiot. I found it. Not sure how I've made it this far! LOL

lulabex

Tomorrow my fiancé will file for the petition. We are doing this without a lawyer too ! Are you all still waiting?

TunisianYankee

Tomorrow my fiancé will file for the petition. We are doing this without a lawyer too ! Are you all still waiting?
We are still in processing with the NVC. The processing time there is currently 45-60 days. So we're just waiting and hoping not to get a checklist. The K-1 visa process is usually a month or two faster than the immigrant visa-hopefully it will be for you. You can definitely do it without an attorney but we chose to use one because we are BOTH in Tunisia and it was just so much easier to have the attorney taking care of everything from the states. visajourney.com is an awesome resource if you're not already using it. You can view timelines for different visa types. Also if you go the site and click on "portals" you can choose Tunisia and be able to see just the posts pertaining to immigration from Tunisia.

lulabex

Thank you so much !! I'm on visajourney.com and it is the best website ever !! this website is awesome too ;) i'm on other blogs too ! Yes, at first, i was afraid of not going with a Lawyer then my fiancé convinced me that we can do it ourselves (the American spirit lol) we are going to go through all the documents once again tonight, he is also making copies of everything and i already sent him my G325A and letter of intent with my American passport photo too ;) so all we have left to do is mail them everything :)

I really wish you the best of luck and keep me updated on how things go with you !!

The $165 is only one of many fees...There is also a $420.00 USICS processing fee, then an $88.00 affidavit of support filing fee. and a $230.00 fee for filing the DS260. I don't even know what the medical exam fee is going to be yet. Also if you choose to enter the US on the K1 visa, you have to pay the adjustment of status fee of over a thousand dollars! CRAZY! Fortunately my husband planned ahead for these fees and lawyer bills and made arrangements to get some money out of Tunisia in order to pay for them.

There is no English test. That wouldn't be a hurdle though- his English is better than mine!

My husband's sister immigrated to the UK several years ago to live with her husband there and they had a really hard time getting through the process. Their petition was rejected and they had to hire an attorney. They hadn't even done anything wrong to warrant the rejection. It was just rejected arbitrarily. Once they hired the attorney it was approved right away with no changes or additional documents required. That's why my husband and I decided to go with an attorney right from the start. We didn't want to take any chances.

There is an English test if one chooses to go for citizenship, just in case anyone wanted further clarification. I recall one poor guy in the interview center who was told he was not going to be able to move forward since he failed his English test. Sounds like you are on top of it all! We futzed around for years as it was just so expensive with all the fees. No lawyer. I recall the Green Card seeming to take forever. Good luck!

TunisianYankee

There is an English test if one chooses to go for citizenship, just in case anyone wanted further clarification. I recall one poor guy in the interview center who was told he was not going to be able to move forward since he failed his English test. Sounds like you are on top of it all! We futzed around for years as it was just so expensive with all the fees. No lawyer. I recall the Green Card seeming to take forever. Good luck!
Yeah, the citizenship test has an English and a civics component. Don't feel too bad for the guy at the interview center, they give you another chance to take it within 90 days... and the test is REALLY easy and you don't have to get that many answers right... so if he studied for three months, there's no reason he couldn't pass.

starrysky12

Good luck Lulabex :)

starrysky12

@starrysky12 , Any word for you yet or are you still waiting on the NVC?
Well, when I first started the affidavit of support, it looked like once that was approved THEN we would send in supporting documents, do the DS-260 and wait for an interview. Rules have changed since then. Now they have you submit the affidavit of support documents, supporting documents, and DS-260 all at once. (Like you did.) So it looks like the affidavit of support has been approved bc now they are asking for the supporting documents. They need his original birth cert, so I'm waiting on that through the mail. He did his DS-260 online a few weeks ago. We also received an email saying the NVC was behind on cases and anything submitted would take at least 60 days to review. So I'm hoping to get his birth cert soon, send in the rest of the junk they need and then my part is over lol. Getting there, slowly but surely...It's been a year and 4 months since we started all of this. Can't wait for the day that I can see him again without a computer screen between us.

TunisianYankee

I hope it is all smooth sailing from here on out and you can be reunited with your husband very soon.

starrysky12

I hope it is all smooth sailing from here on out and you can be reunited with your husband very soon.
Thank you! I wish you guys the best too. <3 Hopefully the NVC keeps some energy drinks on supply and works through holidays, anniversaries, graduations, etc. Kidding of course, but let's get these Tunisians to America to be with their spouses! :D

starrysky12

Can anyone help me? Twice now my husband has tried to mail me certified copies of his birth certificate. Both times these were lost in the mail. The NVC will not accept regular copies. I need to know if Tunisia has a system like Fed Ex so we can have a tracking number and trust that it will get here. Any suggestions?

TunisianYankee

Yes you can send it via Rapid Post and when gets out of Tunisia it's transferred to DHL. Make sure he gets BOTH tracking numbers when he sends it. Sometimes they only give you one, but you need the rapid post tracking number to track it while it's in Tunisia and the DHL tracking number to track it when it leaves Tunisia. If he's in Tunis the best place to mail from is the Post Office at the Airport. When we've sent packages from there, it usually gets placed on the plane out of Tunisia the same day or next day, which is lightening fast for Tunisia!

TunisianYankee

And I'm guessing by this query that you got checklisted again by the NVC.... GRRRRRRRRRR.

starrysky12

And I'm guessing by this query that you got checklisted again by the NVC.... GRRRRRRRRRR.
Haha - well yes. I just keep telling myself that someday we will be together and this will all have been worth it. Ughhhh

starrysky12

Yes you can send it via Rapid Post and when gets out of Tunisia it's transferred to DHL. Make sure he gets BOTH tracking numbers when he sends it. Sometimes they only give you one, but you need the rapid post tracking number to track it while it's in Tunisia and the DHL tracking number to track it when it leaves Tunisia. If he's in Tunis the best place to mail from is the Post Office at the Airport. When we've sent packages from there, it usually gets placed on the plane out of Tunisia the same day or next day, which is lightening fast for Tunisia!
The prob is he lives in Jendouba. No money, no transportation. (He would kill me if he knew I was putting this out there! Lol) But thanks for the info. I will pass it on to him and see what he can do.

TunisianYankee

Well he can still send it from the post office there.. It's just faster from the airport. If he sends it from his city, you can still track it and if it gets stuck you'll have a tracking number to keep it moving.... I'm frustrated on your behalf!

starrysky12

Well he can still send it from the post office there.. It's just faster from the airport. If he sends it from his city, you can still track it and if it gets stuck you'll have a tracking number to keep it moving.... I'm frustrated on your behalf!
Thank you :) Frustration is my middle name :p Is Rapid Post available at regular post offices?

TunisianYankee

Yes. Post Rapide. Just tell him to make sure he gets TWO tracking numbers.. one for rapid post and one for DHL.