International Banks

Securityman

Hi

Can anyone tell me if there are any foreign banks or indeed any British ones operating or planning to operate in Tunisia at the moment? Also does anyone know of uk companies offering mortgagaes in Tunisia?

Dave.

ROULLA

Hi Securityman hope that you are in good health! As far as i am aware there are not any UK banks in Tunisia..Tunisia has a closed currency and only Tunisian banks operate in Tunisia..:)

omarabid

@Roulla

what about UBCI? I think it's a BNP PariBas Partner.

J

John00

May be the Royal Bank of Scotland.

marhaba

theres an international bank in sousse, i wonder if they will allow european people to have accounts lol.

Soltef

theres an international bank in sousse, i wonder if they will allow european people to have accounts lol.
If your Tn partner has a Tn bank account,can you not add your name to it(surely possible/easier if you are married to each other?),then subsequently try and open a new one one in your own name?

marhaba

we asked in december apparently i have to live in tunisia for 2 years to have a bank account lol.x

Soltef

we asked in december apparently i have to live in tunisia for 2 years to have a bank account lol.x
Oh,OK (but obviously not asked the 'right' bank/people,lol-money talks,haha!).Keep asking!If you had, say, a Natwest account here,can't one open a sister one in Tn?

marhaba

i would like to open a bank in tunisia but i think its too complicated lol. i mean i have an address over there i can put R's home down but they jus silllyy

caveatemptor

We have an account at the Arab Tunisian Bank (ABC) in Sousse. It has a Bahrain head office. You can have a foreign currency account or a dinar account. Also it is not true to say that you have to have been in Tunisia for two years, I have already pointed this out to Marhaba on a previous thread, maybe the local bank she tried is not used to dealing with foreigners.
It is not complicated, give them an adddress and a copy of your passport. Sometimes a Tunisian will tell you no, not possible rather than admit they don`t know or it could mean a little bit of extra effort.

Soltef

We have an account at the Arab Tunisian Bank (ABC) in Sousse. It has a Bahrain head office. You can have a foreign currency account or a dinar account. Also it is not true to say that you have to have been in Tunisia for two years, I have already pointed this out to Marhaba on a previous thread, maybe the local bank she tried is not used to dealing with foreigners.
It is not complicated, give them an adddress and a copy of your passport. Sometimes a Tunisian will tell you no, not possible rather than admit they don`t know or it could mean a little bit of extra effort.
Yep,as I thought,everthing seems to take a little bit 'more effort' in Tn but perseverance pays off usually,lol!

caveatemptor

As we know, anything in Tunisia is possible, but at the same time everything is impossible.

Essem

Staff member
Hi Marhaba

This isn't correct Marhaba - I've had bank accounts there for years with BIAT and UIB and didn't need to have lived there for 2 years when I opened them.

Dolly

I have both a dinar account and a foreign currency account. the local account is with STB and all I had to do was show my passport. The fx account is with UBCI which is part of BNP Paribas - easy, peasy............just produce my passport, transferred currency and voila! I have a key card for both accounts and withdraw as I wish. You do not have to be in the country for any length of time, you do not need to have a TN spouse. But be aware that a TN national cannot be named or hold an fx account. that changed in July of last year, hence my husband cannot be a joint a/c holder on the fx a/c, but it's not a problem as he has authorisation to operate the account and has a key card for it. There are definitely more foreign banks here, I just can't think of their names right now. If it comes before I log off I'll give you more info.

CeeCee

I was planning on drawing some money out of my bank account while over in Tunisia.I'm with yorkshire bank and they say i can use my card to draw money from the cash machines but not over the counter.Thats fine by me but is it possible for me to do that in tunisia? I'd hate to get all the way there only to find i cant withdraw any money from the cash machines....xx:)

Soltef

I was planning on drawing some money out of my bank account while over in Tunisia.I'm with yorkshire bank and they say i can use my card to draw money from the cash machines but not over the counter.Thats fine by me but is it possible for me to do that in tunisia? I'd hate to get all the way there only to find i cant withdraw any money from the cash machines....xx:)
A (VISA) debit card should work with most cash machines/banks in Tn. I don't bother taking much GBP,not that I have much!BTW,do travellers' cheques still exist,lol?

CeeCee

I have no idea.I've never used travellers cheques myself.i was going to take some money with me as well and get it changed over there, but I needed to make sure i could get more money out if i needed to.And knowing me, I will need to!...lol...xx:)

caveatemptor

Travellers cheques do exist but a bit fiddly to deal with here. Using ATM`s is widespread and you should get a better rate as the bank exchange rates are used as opposed to tourist rates. There is very little variation in the rates of exchange in banks and hotel receptions and they do not take commission.

Essem

Staff member
Hi CeeCee

Just to be on the safe side, it might be worth advising your bank that you're going on holiday and when so that they can activate your card for use overseas.

With HBOS unless you advise them in advance, it doesn't happen and you won't be able to use the ATM's.

One thing to think of is that a lot of the credit card companies now are insisting that you advise in advance of holidays abroad just in case of possible fraud. M&S are forever doing checks, which is a good thing, but if you don't advise them and you try to use your card, they block it and you have to contact them in the UK. It's good in one way but can be really inconvenient if you've arrived late and are depending on withdrawing money.

Milk

I have both a dinar account and a foreign currency account. the local account is with STB and all I had to do was show my passport. The fx account is with UBCI which is part of BNP Paribas - easy, peasy............just produce my passport, transferred currency and voila! I have a key card for both accounts and withdraw as I wish. You do not have to be in the country for any length of time, you do not need to have a TN spouse. But be aware that a TN national cannot be named or hold an fx account. that changed in July of last year, hence my husband cannot be a joint a/c holder on the fx a/c, but it's not a problem as he has authorisation to operate the account and has a key card for it. There are definitely more foreign banks here, I just can't think of their names right now. If it comes before I log off I'll give you more info.

This is an old thread but need info. What are the charges that your paying for the currency rate exchange between the two banks? I'm looking to go back and want to open an account for myself well there. I know both banks would probably charge for making the exchange, I would like to know what Tunisia banks charge. Thank you