Is a chest X-ray /report required to enter the UK?

M

Myriam

Hi all,

I recently got UK spouse visa and will be traveling to join hubby soon. I just wanted to ask you about the medical test. Is it required to present a chest x-ray on arrival at Heathrow airport?

Thanks in advance

Jane BM

Hi all,

I recently got UK spouse visa and will be traveling to join hubby soon. I just wanted to ask you about the medical test. Is it required to present a chest x-ray on arrival at Heathrow airport?

Thanks in advance
No...the only thing necessary is your passport and visa stamp....:)..assuming you're travelling from Tunisia.

missmetal

Its only necessary if your country is considered high risk for TB, however they could make you do one at the airport if you dont have one with you.

When I travelled to the UK for the first time about 18yrs ago on a work holiday visa, i had to have a chest x-ray. But that could be due to my country being high risk at the time.

If you were not asked to do one as part of your application then don't spend the money to get it done.

Jane BM

Its only necessary if your country is considered high risk for TB, however they could make you do one at the airport if you dont have one with you.

When I travelled to the UK for the first time about 18yrs ago on a work holiday visa, i had to have a chest x-ray. But that could be due to my country being high risk at the time.

If you were not asked to do one as part of your application then don't spend the money to get it done.
It's only a few countries where they request one...Tunisia isn't one of those countries.

M

Myriam

No...the only thing necessary is your passport and visa stamp....:)..assuming you're travelling from Tunisia.

Thanks Jane and missmetal! yes I'll be travelling from Tunisia.. hubby was going back to UK last month and he was on the same flight with a couple, the wife is Tunisian and was travelling for the first time to UK and she had to go for medical examination on immigration. Really strange because Tunisia is not on the list of countries in which TB testing is required.

missmetal

Thanks Jane and missmetal! yes I'll be travelling from Tunisia.. hubby was going back to UK last month and he was on the same flight with a couple, the wife is Tunisian and was travelling for the first time to UK and she had to go for medical examination on immigration. Really strange because Tunisia is not on the list of countries in which TB testing is required.
When you got your Visa, was there any information with it to say what the next steps are? If so, double check it there...thats all I cant think of.

I live in Canada now and it was a requirement to get a medical done moving from England to Canada. My hubby also had to have one done in Tunisia. But different country, different rules. Maybe its also regional out there?

daffodil

I think it is random the medical testing on arrival...my husband was asked to undertake a medical on arrival to the UK...maybe as mm suggests it is a regional thing depending on your area in Tunisia...He is from the north Western region of Tunisia..

Jane BM

I think it is random the medical testing on arrival...my husband was asked to undertake a medical on arrival to the UK...maybe as mm suggests it is a regional thing depending on your area in Tunisia...He is from the north Western region of Tunisia..
Did he have to have an X-ray Daff? Anything else? How long was he held up for at immigration?

daffodil

Hi Jane,

yes he had an xray and they asked lots of questions ..

He was in there about half an hour altogether...made him most grumpy too cos only a few were called in for this....about three of them all male him and one other from Tunisia...and the other guy was off a flight from elsewhere..