Is it worth trying?

TulipsFromTooting

Hello everyone!

Even though this forum seems a bit dead I thought I’d come here to try to ask my question :)

I’d really like my Tunisian boyfriend to see my life in the UK rather than me always going there. I don’t think we could prove we have a durable relationship at this point as it’s not been that long and we haven’t lived together/shared any expenses. So visitor visa it is, but before we go through that rigamarole I have some questions...

- He works but it’s freelance, it’s a good job but will the HO see it as proper employment? Basically he will have both his boss and his customers waiting to return.
- People mention that savings/bank account is proof of intent to return, but what is considered a usual amount to prove that?
- If his visa application gets rejected, will this be on his record and affect any other applications within the EU in future negatively?

Sorry if it’s the same old questions as usual but I don’t see very many new topics and I know the rules are changing all the time.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Its not that dead ;-)

- He works but it’s freelance, it’s a good job but will the HO see it as proper employment? Basically he will have both his boss and his customers waiting to return.

How can that be proved is he a company? Does he have accounts/office etc etc. Same as UK if you where asking for a loan or rental.

- People mention that savings/bank account is proof of intent to return, but what is considered a usual amount to prove that?

Difficult to say and personally I would say enough for a holiday and come back ... same for your bank account if you are hosting. It ties in with above you say he has a good job then I would expect say a few thousand dinars in his bank account showing his business paying.

If its cash in hand....how can you prove it?

- If his visa application gets rejected, will this be on his record and affect any other applications within the EU in future negatively?

Hmm yes for visitors visa the appeals procedure etc is on on the UKBA website.

At the end of the day you have to put yourselves in their shoes. The UK is teeming with overstayers if you know where to look must be thousands of them.

If you dont have ties and the partner in the UK is much older they may come to the conclusion this is either a scam to get here or an attempt to get around the crazy expense of spouse visas etc.

TulipsFromTooting

I am happy to see that! I've been a long-time lurker and this forum has been been super useful for me in the past. :D

Thank you for this super valuable advice! We will be erring on the side of caution and definitely waiting to be able to collect as much proof as possible, don't want one rejected visa now to come back to haunt us. Think it'd be good for him to see what Europe is really like before he decides to emigrate here permanently though, I'm sure there are some rude awakening moments ahead :p

Never been more grateful for my own passport which makes it so easy to travel!

Thanks again for your help :)

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I am happy to see that! I've been a long-time lurker and this forum has been been super useful for me in the past. :D

Thank you for this super valuable advice! We will be erring on the side of caution and definitely waiting to be able to collect as much proof as possible, don't want one rejected visa now to come back to haunt us. Think it'd be good for him to see what Europe is really like before he decides to emigrate here permanently though, I'm sure there are some rude awakening moments ahead :p

Never been more grateful for my own passport which makes it so easy to travel!

Thanks again for your help :)
I have had loads of visitors come see me from Tunisia.

However they have always had a job/study/business or children in Tunisia.

For young unattached men the lure of 40 dinars per hour + is too much.

Just look on any property website in Tunisia the only way to buy a house is either be rich or GTFO of town

TulipsFromTooting

The lure would be too much for me if I was in their shoes, that's for sure! Especially with the economy the way it is right now. It's all well and good for me to casually say that he has something to go back to but I need to look at it through the critical eyes of the Home Office. Good to hear it's not as impossible as everyone says though :)

Mrs Rezgui

Hello,
Hope you are ok,
I was married when we applied for a visit visa for my spouse to visit my family in the uk. This is a expensive long process with tones of paperwork, itinerary, what times basically your going to the toilet..my spouse was refused a visa for England this refusal cost around £1000.
I was so angry at my “own” country refusing my husband a visa to visit my family with me that I researched for over 6 month on what other ways we could go on holidays to Europe together.
It’s called FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT as a UK citizen - European Union citizen we all have freedom of movement. The Schengen visa for your spouse is cheap, quick and almost 100%.
We applied for a Schengen visa, we did not have to submit any bank statements, itinerary, or other documents and received a 3 month Schengen visa within 3 weeks.
Please do not listen to all the negative comments that a lot of people like to throw around. Do try for the visa but check and re check everything and include everything they ask for.
If your are ‘married” to a Tunisian the visa is not as complex to travel to Europe.
If you would like any more information on visas please message me.
Good luck
FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,
Hope you are ok,
I was married when we applied for a visit visa for my spouse to visit my family in the uk. This is a expensive long process with tones of paperwork, itinerary, what times basically your going to the toilet..my spouse was refused a visa for England this refusal cost around £1000.
I was so angry at my “own” country refusing my husband a visa to visit my family with me that I researched for over 6 month on what other ways we could go on holidays to Europe together.
It’s called FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT as a UK citizen - European Union citizen we all have freedom of movement. The Schengen visa for your spouse is cheap, quick and almost 100%.
We applied for a Schengen visa, we did not have to submit any bank statements, itinerary, or other documents and received a 3 month Schengen visa within 3 weeks.
Please do not listen to all the negative comments that a lot of people like to throw around. Do try for the visa but check and re check everything and include everything they ask for.
If your are ‘married” to a Tunisian the visa is not as complex to travel to Europe.
If you would like any more information on visas please message me.
Good luck
FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT
The UK is not in Shengen

it may not even be in the EU in a couple of months time.

What you are describing it the surinder rule https://www.freemovement.org.uk/surinder-singh-guidance/

Not easy to do if using to come to UK

Mrs Rezgui

England is still in the European Union.

You still have “FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT”

A European Citizen or EEA Citizen has a right to obtain a spouse visa to travel to any European Country, I have given a list of the Schengen zone you can travel to with your spouse on a Schengen Visa.

If your Spouse is Tunisian and you are a European or EEA State Member and wanting to go on vacation to a European country.

You are entitled to a spouse visa.

The spouse visa is normally free of charge, administration frees will have to be paid.

If you are a family member of an EU/EEA national it doesn’t necessarily mean that you won’t need a visa in order to enter the Schengen zone. It only means that the procedures on obtaining a visa will be alleviated and faster. Still, in order for this to apply you have to meet certain standards such as:

• You have to be a first degree family member of the EU/EEA citizen (husband or a child under 21years old).
  • You have to join the EU/EEA citizen in the travel destination or the residing country within the Schengen Area and have proof of that

The United Kingdom is Not a Schengen Area

Today, the Schengen Area encompasses most EU States, except for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom. However, Bulgaria and Romania are currently in the process of joining the Schengen Area. Of non-EU States, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein have joined the Schengen Area.

Visa Information for Schengen countries

A holder of a Uniform Schengen visa can travel to all 26 member countries of the Schengen Area:

AustriaHungaryNorway
BelgiumIcelandPoland
Czech RepublicItalyPortugal
DenmarkLatviaSlovakia
EstoniaLiechtensteinSlovenia
FinlandLithuaniaSpain
FranceLuxembourgSweden
GermanyMaltaSwitzerland
GreeceNetherlands

The process of establishing freedom of movement for all nationals of Member States was finalized with the signing of the Maastricht Treaty in 1992, which created the European Union (EU) and introduced the concept of a common European citizenship.Apr 21, 2011

The free movement of persons is one of the core rights guaranteed in the European Economic Area (EEA), the extended Internal Market which unites all the EU Member States and three EEA EFTA States – Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
England is still in the European Union.

You still have “FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT”

A European Citizen or EEA Citizen has a right to obtain a spouse visa to travel to any European Country, I have given a list of the Schengen zone you can travel to with your spouse on a Schengen Visa.

If your Spouse is Tunisian and you are a European or EEA State Member and wanting to go on vacation to a European country.

You are entitled to a spouse visa.

The spouse visa is normally free of charge, administration frees will have to be paid.

If you are a family member of an EU/EEA national it doesn’t necessarily mean that you won’t need a visa in order to enter the Schengen zone. It only means that the procedures on obtaining a visa will be alleviated and faster. Still, in order for this to apply you have to meet certain standards such as:

• You have to be a first degree family member of the EU/EEA citizen (husband or a child under 21years old).
  • You have to join the EU/EEA citizen in the travel destination or the residing country within the Schengen Area and have proof of that

The United Kingdom is Not a Schengen Area

Today, the Schengen Area encompasses most EU States, except for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom. However, Bulgaria and Romania are currently in the process of joining the Schengen Area. Of non-EU States, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein have joined the Schengen Area.

Visa Information for Schengen countries

A holder of a Uniform Schengen visa can travel to all 26 member countries of the Schengen Area:

AustriaHungaryNorway
BelgiumIcelandPoland
Czech RepublicItalyPortugal
DenmarkLatviaSlovakia
EstoniaLiechtensteinSlovenia
FinlandLithuaniaSpain
FranceLuxembourgSweden
GermanyMaltaSwitzerland
GreeceNetherlands

The process of establishing freedom of movement for all nationals of Member States was finalized with the signing of the Maastricht Treaty in 1992, which created the European Union (EU) and introduced the concept of a common European citizenship.Apr 21, 2011

The free movement of persons is one of the core rights guaranteed in the European Economic Area (EEA), the extended Internal Market which unites all the EU Member States and three EEA EFTA States – Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
I am not saying it is not.

But again if you are talking about using this Article 8 route its not easy.

Additionally in less than a few months any money invested may be wasted.

For those wanting a spouse visa... and to do this via EEA you will have to move to a EEA state for a certain period of time before you can pull this off.

Mrs Rezgui

I am not saying it is not.

But again if you are talking about using this Article 8 route its not easy.

Additionally in less than a few months any money invested may be wasted.

For those wanting a spouse visa... and to do this via EEA you will have to move to a EEA state for a certain period of time before you can pull this off.

Mrs Rezgui

I would think that as a Administrator for a Tunisian site you would promote people posting Government and high court ruleings for the people to access.
“IF” the UK leaves the EU, You will not loose your Freedom of Movement overnight. Please do read the post I submitted again, I referred to UK and Europe, I am not aware that the EU is also coming out ! If Brexit does happen then all the rulings I posted can still be used for EU citizens married to a none EU spouse.

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I would think that as a Administrator for a Tunisian site you would promote people posting Government and high court ruleings for the people to access.
“IF” the UK leaves the EU, You will not loose your Freedom of Movement overnight. Please do read the post I submitted again, I referred to UK and Europe, I am not aware that the EU is also coming out ! If Brexit does happen then all the rulings I posted can still be used for EU citizens married to a none EU spouse.
Dont let yourself get snarky you are better than that.

Please feel free to cite the high court ruling to which you refer. The cases from around 2014 required the non EU spouse to have a resident card in an EU country.

The original post "I’d really like my Tunisian boyfriend to see my life in the UK"

What happens in a no deal scenario? Will EU citizens still be able to come to the UK?
On 4 September 2019, Home Secretary Priti Patel announced that if there is a no deal, free movement will end as it currently stands.

What happens if the Prime Minister’s Withdrawal Agreement is passed? Will free movement continue?
The new points-based immigration system will be introduced from January 2021. Until then, free movement rules will continue until the end of the Implementation Period of 31 December 2020 under the EU Withdrawal Agreement.

So based on the first post where the poster wishes to see her boyfriend come visit what solution are you proposing?

Forgive me but what I am seeing is only applicable to people who are married.

Of course he possibly could get a visa for a less costly EU country but thats still a cost with no guarantee and without being married she would not be able to leverage article 8 rights and bring him back with her.

Even if they got married and then he went to Romania for example and then she went out there and brought him back she would have hoops to jump.

Mrs Rezgui

Dont let yourself get snarky you are better than that.

Please feel free to cite the high court ruling to which you refer. The cases from around 2014 required the non EU spouse to have a resident card in an EU country.

The original post "I’d really like my Tunisian boyfriend to see my life in the UK"

What happens in a no deal scenario? Will EU citizens still be able to come to the UK?
On 4 September 2019, Home Secretary Priti Patel announced that if there is a no deal, free movement will end as it currently stands.

What happens if the Prime Minister’s Withdrawal Agreement is passed? Will free movement continue?
The new points-based immigration system will be introduced from January 2021. Until then, free movement rules will continue until the end of the Implementation Period of 31 December 2020 under the EU Withdrawal Agreement.

So based on the first post where the poster wishes to see her boyfriend come visit what solution are you proposing?

Forgive me but what I am seeing is only applicable to people who are married.

Of course he possibly could get a visa for a less costly EU country but thats still a cost with no guarantee and without being married she would not be able to leverage article 8 rights and bring him back with her.

Even if they got married and then he went to Romania for example and then she went out there and brought him back she would have hoops to jump.

Your none EU spouse does not need a residence card.