Is it worth trying?

TulipsFromTooting

Hello everyone!

Even though this forum seems a bit dead I thought I’d come here to try to ask my question :)

I’d really like my Tunisian boyfriend to see my life in the UK rather than me always going there. I don’t think we could prove we have a durable relationship at this point as it’s not been that long and we haven’t lived together/shared any expenses. So visitor visa it is, but before we go through that rigamarole I have some questions...

- He works but it’s freelance, it’s a good job but will the HO see it as proper employment? Basically he will have both his boss and his customers waiting to return.
- People mention that savings/bank account is proof of intent to return, but what is considered a usual amount to prove that?
- If his visa application gets rejected, will this be on his record and affect any other applications within the EU in future negatively?

Sorry if it’s the same old questions as usual but I don’t see very many new topics and I know the rules are changing all the time.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
Its not that dead ;-)

- He works but it’s freelance, it’s a good job but will the HO see it as proper employment? Basically he will have both his boss and his customers waiting to return.

How can that be proved is he a company? Does he have accounts/office etc etc. Same as UK if you where asking for a loan or rental.

- People mention that savings/bank account is proof of intent to return, but what is considered a usual amount to prove that?

Difficult to say and personally I would say enough for a holiday and come back ... same for your bank account if you are hosting. It ties in with above you say he has a good job then I would expect say a few thousand dinars in his bank account showing his business paying.

If its cash in hand....how can you prove it?

- If his visa application gets rejected, will this be on his record and affect any other applications within the EU in future negatively?

Hmm yes for visitors visa the appeals procedure etc is on on the UKBA website.

At the end of the day you have to put yourselves in their shoes. The UK is teeming with overstayers if you know where to look must be thousands of them.

If you dont have ties and the partner in the UK is much older they may come to the conclusion this is either a scam to get here or an attempt to get around the crazy expense of spouse visas etc.

TulipsFromTooting

I am happy to see that! I've been a long-time lurker and this forum has been been super useful for me in the past. :D

Thank you for this super valuable advice! We will be erring on the side of caution and definitely waiting to be able to collect as much proof as possible, don't want one rejected visa now to come back to haunt us. Think it'd be good for him to see what Europe is really like before he decides to emigrate here permanently though, I'm sure there are some rude awakening moments ahead :p

Never been more grateful for my own passport which makes it so easy to travel!

Thanks again for your help :)

Kris

Administrator
Staff member
I am happy to see that! I've been a long-time lurker and this forum has been been super useful for me in the past. :D

Thank you for this super valuable advice! We will be erring on the side of caution and definitely waiting to be able to collect as much proof as possible, don't want one rejected visa now to come back to haunt us. Think it'd be good for him to see what Europe is really like before he decides to emigrate here permanently though, I'm sure there are some rude awakening moments ahead :p

Never been more grateful for my own passport which makes it so easy to travel!

Thanks again for your help :)
I have had loads of visitors come see me from Tunisia.

However they have always had a job/study/business or children in Tunisia.

For young unattached men the lure of 40 dinars per hour + is too much.

Just look on any property website in Tunisia the only way to buy a house is either be rich or GTFO of town

TulipsFromTooting

The lure would be too much for me if I was in their shoes, that's for sure! Especially with the economy the way it is right now. It's all well and good for me to casually say that he has something to go back to but I need to look at it through the critical eyes of the Home Office. Good to hear it's not as impossible as everyone says though :)