Land of History and meeting of civilizations

Mak

Hi there,

The History of Tunisia is too lang that i can spend months and may be years to tell you all about it ... and i think that i don't know it all :)
but anyway here's a quick recap to the History of tunisia to see how many civilisations were in Tunisia :

*Prehistory : We generaly talk about BERBERE as autochthon, however there was 2 famous civilisations in Tunisia in the Prehistory :
1- Civilisation Ibero-maurusian ( This name is composed of 2 parts : Iberic from the Iberic peninsula , Spain now. and the 2 part is : Maurusian, the people from north Africa ( more in Moroco and Algeria) => it was arround 14.000 B.J.C.
2- Civilisation Captian ( it was in Capsa = now it's Gafsa) it was something like 7.500 B.J.C.

*Old Period :
-The Pheniciens came to Tunisia from Tyr ( Sour) in Lebanon first they founded Utica (arround the 11Centry B.J.C) and then they founded Carthage ( arround 814 B.J.C).
=> The Empire of carthage Started.

- The Roman took Carthage after the 3rd Punic war arround 146 B.J.C => the Roman period started in Tunisia.

* The Medieval Period:
-The Wandal came after the destruction of Rome arround 467 A.J.C) => the Vandals period started.

-The Byzantin : arround the 6th Centry A.J.C they came from Constantinople (now Istanbul in Turkey) and they took Tunisia as a province.=> Byzantin period started then too

-The Islam came from the Arabic peninsula and they convert the population to the Islam and they kicked the Byzantain out of the country => The Islamic period started and the arabisation of north Africa in general.

-The Ottoman took Constantinople from now on it's Istanbul ( from the Latin : Islam Police = City of Islam)
and they could get also Tunisia as a province after the expedition of :Sinen Bacha arround 1574 i don't really remember anymore ... i'm not sure

*The Moderne Period:
- Tunisia was under the Ottoman Empire.

- Tunisia for a period was under the Italian "imperialism" there was a lot of italian people runing business in Tunisia and even they owned lands etccc

* Contemporary Period:

- End of the 19 Century ( 1981 ) Tunisia was colonized by France under the name of Protection.
One of the reasons why France came into Tunisia was the growing italian imperialism in Tunisia ... the italian started to run and todominate the tunisian market and in one point their intersts confront with each other it was about : Hinchir el Bey in Nifidha : it was a huge Land full of trees, theyBey wanted to sale it and Italywas about to buy it ... France was obliged to use the force to stop theItalian growing imperialism in Tunisia.

- In 1956 Tunisia got its independance ... and started building the moderen tunisia

- In 7 November 1987 a huge changes happened in Tunisia with the new president Ben Ali who gave a new start for the country in its way to the modernity. We can see huge changes since the arrive of Ben Ali in the Tunisian society and infrastructure ... in its way to best.

Cheers
Makrem.

flstate1989

HA! maybe i should've checked this thread out before posting. so as of right now there:
-the french colonization
-the fact that they're both maurusian
-and i think they both got their independence in 56.

anything else?

very cool history though.

Grace 111

I 'm a great fan of history. It tells us so much about a region so full of culture. We all learn from history that we have endured. The most important thing should be - respect.

weld_bled

hi @ all
dear Makrem, i wanted just to notify to u and to all, that some important period is missing in ur description of the tunisian history, i meant the lubic period,(lubian) with the famous king Hamourabi, wich took just a part of tunisia, but still deserve to be notified,

all my guards

Essem

Staff member
'Tunisia - A Journey Through A Country That Works' traces the history of Tunisia from the Carthaginian Empire to present day & it's visible achievements. She builds up the book like a mosaique. I couldn't put it down - it's easy to read, so very interesting and totally absorbing.

Mezoo

VIP Member
about spain and Hammamet

here's the entry from wiki--- History

Before the year 1, there was a settlement called Pupput. It was a town (now in the suburbs of Hammamet) that became a Roman colony in 2nd century. In 13th century, walls around town were built and medina of Hammamet was built in 15th century.

"Then it came under Spanish and Turkish rule."

In World War II, it became one of the headquarters of general Erwin Rommel.

I've never heard of Spanish rule in Hammamet can anyone enlighten me? :cool: :cool:

H

Hungarian

Linguistic Hertage/Currant Language

Hi everyone. I am a new member here. I have been a student of history & linguistics all my life. I find Tunisia very interesting because of its exposure to so many important cultures and languages. I am a big fan of pre-historic settlements in & around the Mediterranian. I plan to visit Tunisia soon. How common is English spoken in the cities? I want to meet educated Tunisians who know the history of their country.

Mezoo

VIP Member
Hi everyone. I am a new member here. I have been a student of history & linguistics all my life. I find Tunisia very interesting because of its exposure to so many important cultures and languages. I am a big fan of pre-historic settlements in & around the Mediterranian. I plan to visit Tunisia soon. How common is English spoken in the cities? I want to meet educated Tunisians who know the history of their country.
how about anybody interested in the history if tunisa ??

MellieC

here's the entry from wiki--- History

Before the year 1, there was a settlement called Pupput. It was a town (now in the suburbs of Hammamet) that became a Roman colony in 2nd century. In 13th century, walls around town were built and medina of Hammamet was built in 15th century.

"Then it came under Spanish and Turkish rule."

In World War II, it became one of the headquarters of general Erwin Rommel.

I've never heard of Spanish rule in Hammamet can anyone enlighten me? :cool: :cool:
I hadn't heard of Spanish rule in hammamet, but do know that the spanish have a very distinct "moorish" style, taken from North Africa.

Mezoo

VIP Member
I hadn't heard of Spanish rule in hammamet, but do know that the spanish have a very distinct "moorish" style, taken from North Africa.
zuess keef keef , how cool though ? eh ?

MellieC

Hi there! there are many Tunisians who speak english, some are more fluent than others, and some have a more limited vocabulary, but all are more than likely to to be helpful as you are taking an interest in their country.

I am not altogether sure about "educated tunisians" are you saying that you believe that part of the population are uneducated? or do you mean those that have studied history?

MellieC

zuess keef keef , how cool though ? eh ?
VERY!

its weird in that you are in spain but its like you are in tunisia!

Black Mamba

hi @ all
dear Makrem, i wanted just to notify to u and to all, that some important period is missing in ur description of the tunisian history, i meant the lubic period,(lubian) with the famous king Hamourabi, wich took just a part of tunisia, but still deserve to be notified,

all my guards
What?
Hamourabi was the king of Babylone!!!!

Black Mamba

Educated Tunisians will be busy working I'm afraid/sarcasm