legal questions, custody rights

DebbieZebbes

Imagine............ me and hubby separate and have no further contact. In the future, I take my daughter on holiday to Tunisia but we're denied departure because I have no letter. I have no way of contacting dad........... what will they do with us!!??

Cathibou

Exactly ! and a very real scenerio, wouldn't take the risk myself !

sianperkins89

they cant just look at the kids and see they dont look 'english' and assume they're tunisian. also they cant look and see they have an arabic name...their father could be from any arabic country. so the way i'm seeing it is that they won't have the right to even ask unless the kid has a tunisian passport...

coolbananazz

It depends who you get in immigration when leaving the country, some don't bother and you take the chance, on the other hand is it worth the chance. If they have a tunisian surname they are more than likely going to ask you for their Tunisian passports. The letter of authorisation would be written by yourself or ex who would then tak it to a solicitor here for them to witnes his signature. This is for your departure from Tunisia, nothing to do with your entry. The letter needs to state his name and passport number and your travel details and childrens names. It costs £5 normally for the solicitor to witness it and even if you don't get asked at least it is worth piece of mind to have it on you incase.
Once in Tunisia if your ex decides he wants to keep his children there then is very little you will be able to do about it, as you say your relationship now is amicable so personally I would do the authorisation, keep it on you and only show it if asked for on your departure. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the info. I presume the letter must be in Arabic ... Is that correct?

DebbieZebbes

You would not show the letters on arrival as I said they are for departure IF you were asked for it you would be able to show it. You are fortunate if you have never been asked as I have been stopped and even seperated from my daughter while they tried to contact my husband by phone in the past. Once this has happened to you you don't make the same mistake twice.

Separated from your daughter!!! That is shocking, that's treating you as if you are committing a crime. I'm assuming they contacted him quickly, what would have happened if they couldn't contact him for many hours or days or ever??

Cathibou

they cant just look at the kids and see they dont look 'english' and assume they're tunisian. also they cant look and see they have an arabic name...their father could be from any arabic country. so the way i'm seeing it is that they won't have the right to even ask unless the kid has a tunisian passport...

Since when as a Tunisian needed "the right" to ask I am sorry Sian you have strong views on this and thats fine, but the Tunisian law is a law unto itself and maybe when you have a bit more experience of it in differing circumstances, you may have a broader view. On one occassion I was asked for authorisation for my English son, so don't think because you haven't experienced it, it doesn't happen. There are those on here who have had smooth passage exiting Tunisia with their Tunisian children, and good luck for them, but there are many others on here who haven't had that luxury, and if we can be one step a head for a small inconveniance I for one will take that step.

Cathibou

Thanks for the info. I presume the letter must be in Arabic ... Is that correct?

No English is fine, as long as you have the necessary details.

Cathibou

Separated from your daughter!!! That is shocking, that's treating you as if you are committing a crime. I'm assuming they contacted him quickly, what would have happened if they couldn't contact him for many hours or days or ever??

Seperated through a window so she could see me, we waited 35 mins as he had already left the airport and had to turn back. If it was much longer we would have missed flight as I wasn't leaving without her.

L

Lissy

Sian, Cath is absolutely right...I have a blond haired, blue eyed child who is obviously not Tunisian. I was asked when I entered if he was my Tunisian husband's child!

Tunisia is NOT the only country that demands this, the USA is another. I know that TB has posted several times about it.

The law of the land is the law and everyone has to abide by it whether you like it or not.

sianperkins89

Since when as a Tunisian needed "the right" to ask I am sorry Sian you have strong views on this and thats fine, but the Tunisian law is a law unto itself and maybe when you have a bit more experience of it in differing circumstances, you may have a broader view. On one occassion I was asked for authorisation for my English son, so don't think because you haven't experienced it, it doesn't happen. There are those on here who have had smooth passage exiting Tunisia with their Tunisian children, and good luck for them, but there are many others on here who haven't had that luxury, and if we can be one step a head for a small inconveniance I for one will take that step.

ok fair enough i was just wondering how and why in tunisia they would be so strict on bringing children in and out of the country when they are with their parent thats all. i dont have strong views on it at all i was just asking why and i thought i had found an answer - that they would only check when the kid has a tunisian passport- but i guess that is wrong if you and others have had problems even with english children.
and yes i guess in the future when i have more experience with tunisian laws then i may have a right to be more involved in answering posts, but this time i was just asking and wondering why. i wasnt saying what the law there is, i dont have kids i never travelled there with any kids so, i was only interested... :)

sianperkins89

Sian, Cath is absolutely right...I have a blond haired, blue eyed child who is obviously not Tunisian. I was asked when I entered if he was my Tunisian husband's child!

Tunisia is NOT the only country that demands this, the USA is another. I know that TB has posted several times about it.

The law of the land is the law and everyone has to abide by it whether you like it or not.

I didnt say i disapprove of it, if anything its a good idea for the childs safety and all :)

i just thought at first maybe its a bit rude of the staff to ask whose the child is and ask if you have permission to be travelling with him/her but now thinking about it, its probably a better idea! it would avoid kidnappings and parents taking the kids away from the other parent. it is a good idea but i was just wondering why at first, but now i am seeing that it is a good law..

DebbieZebbes

Seperated through a window so she could see me, we waited 35 mins as he had already left the airport and had to turn back. If it was much longer we would have missed flight as I wasn't leaving without her.

That's inexcusable to separate you, if they were keeping her in a secure place I can't see any reason why you weren't allowed to be with her, you must have been mad as hell. I'm sure the number of instances of women taking Tunisian children out of the country on British passports against the fathers wishes must be so minute that it doesn't warrant this kind of treatment on departure.

L

Lissy

Sian, the "you" was meant more as "one" and not directed at you in particular!!!

sianperkins89

ok, i kinda thought so, but was just saying anyway. :)

coolbananazz

Thanks to everyone for your contributions & advice.

Cathibou

ok fair enough i was just wondering how and why in tunisia they would be so strict on bringing children in and out of the country when they are with their parent thats all. i dont have strong views on it at all i was just asking why and i thought i had found an answer - that they would only check when the kid has a tunisian passport- but i guess that is wrong if you and others have had problems even with english children.
and yes i guess in the future when i have more experience with tunisian laws then i may have a right to be more involved in answering posts, but this time i was just asking and wondering why. i wasnt saying what the law there is, i dont have kids i never travelled there with any kids so, i was only interested... :)

Hey everyones opinion is valid, as you say without experiencing the stress of it would not necessarily see the difficulties that can arise. It isn't so much entering the country it is leaving it. On the complete other side of the coin I took my kids to France through the eurotunnel last month and at immigration I held out 3 closed passports and they just waved me through without looking, this too me is as much concern, I could have abducted anyones children and no one would be any the wiser.

DebbieZebbes

I didnt say i disapprove of it, if anything its a good idea for the childs safety and all :)QUOTE]

Safety isn't considered here Sian, hubby and daughter have flown out of Manchester, him using his Tunisian and her aged 1 using a British passport and nobody asked where mum was or if he had permission to depart.

sianperkins89

Hey everyones opinion is valid, as you say without experiencing the stress of it would not necessarily see the difficulties that can arise. It isn't so much entering the country it is leaving it. On the complete other side of the coin I took my kids to France through the eurotunnel last month and at immigration I held out 3 closed passports and they just waved me through without looking, this too me is as much concern, I could have abducted anyones children and no one would be any the wiser.

yeah i have noticed that when i go to some airports, they are staring down at the passport, stamping it etc. and didnt look at me once! i wonder how they can know if the passport picture matched the face if they dont even bother 2 look. that is one thing that they should really not forget or neglect to do especially in such a high security job! it doesnt happen everytime but sometimes. maybe i got a person with a lazy eye or something and they can see u when u think they're lookin away haha

Cathibou

I didnt say i disapprove of it, if anything its a good idea for the childs safety and all :)

i just thought at first maybe its a bit rude of the staff to ask whose the child is and ask if you have permission to be travelling with him/her but now thinking about it, its probably a better idea! it would avoid kidnappings and parents taking the kids away from the other parent. it is a good idea but i was just wondering why at first, but now i am seeing that it is a good law..

Well it can be or not depending how you look at it, the Tunisian father doesn't need the Mothers permission to travel out of Tunisia with his children.

sianperkins89

I didnt say i disapprove of it, if anything its a good idea for the childs safety and all :)QUOTE]

Safety isn't considered here Sian, hubby and daughter have flown out of Manchester, him using his Tunisian and her aged 1 using a British passport and nobody asked where mum was or if he had permission to depart.

hmm yeah they should ask for both parents permission if they're gonna ask at all, it's not fair just to request one parents.:confused: