legal questions, custody rights

Cathibou

yeah i have noticed that when i go to some airports, they are staring down at the passport, stamping it etc. and didnt look at me once! i wonder how they can know if the passport picture matched the face if they dont even bother 2 look. that is one thing that they should really not forget or neglect to do especially in such a high security job! it doesnt happen everytime but sometimes. maybe i got a person with a lazy eye or something and they can see u when u think they're lookin away haha

Either that or they have special reflective mirrors on their worktops that sends your image down there

sianperkins89

Either that or they have special reflective mirrors on their worktops that sends your image down there

haha oh yeah that would make more sense lol, thats better actually to avoid them staring u dead in the eyes...it would make u a bit nervous to be honest.

lourodos

Banned
If there was any risk of them keeping your kids why would any women travel to tunisia knowing this could happen? I just wouldn't go

Cathibou

If there was any risk of them keeping your kids why would any women travel to tunisia knowing this could happen? I just wouldn't go

precisely !!

jellyhead08

I travelled in August with my daughter, she has a british passport and i was asked for the stamped permission letter from the father. She has her fathers tunisian surname though. Had no problems though just gave them the letter and they stamped our passports and waved us through. As long as you get the letter its fine but you do have to trust that the father will do the letter.
If i didn't trust him i wouldn't have had a child with him or at least would have stopped all contact with him and not taken her over but being in a relationship and planning on getting married why would i have doubts?

DebbieZebbes

I think if the father was considering abducting his child, him not writing an authorisation letter would be the least of your problems...... I guess he'd have disappeared somewhere into his country without trace long before you set off for the airport.

Trulymadlydeeply

Welcome to the forum....

You might well need a letter from him which has been stamped at the Beladya before you can leave the country with the children even if they don't have Tunisian passports. I know that some people, for example Truly Madly Deeply, have not had any problems with leaving but I also know of people who have.

I am sure you will get more replies from people with more knowledge than I have.

Lissy I did have a problem, they stopped me and my son leaving when we had travelled to Tunisia with my EX husband, he was with his brother and we were going to get some shopping, they would not let us through until I telephoned his father and he came to the departure gate and said it was ok for us to go through. Last year me and my son went alone, they still asked me where is his father? I said in London, he looked at us both and just stamped the passports!! :mad:

Trulymadlydeeply

If the children are coming on holiday they will enter into the country with their british passports and therefore they will leave on the same passports.and do not need a letter of permission to leave..For women who live here or abroad yes they need a letter from their husband if the child enters the country under Tunsian passport...it's only if you bring the children into the country on a Tunisian Passports as they are classed as Tunisian Nationals...if they enter under a British Passport they are legally bound to the Uk...and you do not need a letter to leave.

Hope this helps....

Hi magz doesnt make any difference my son holds a British passport and we were still stopped!!! British Embassy will not help as they are on Tunisian soil therefore Tunisian!!!!:mad: I don't like it but have to abide by the rules, so from now on I will get the said letter!!!!

babsi

This thread has opened a whole new can of worms for me, another reason not to tell him. If I do decide to tell him he'll have to come over here as I'm sure as hell not taking the risk of being parted from my child in Tunisia. :mad:

L

Lissy

Lissy I did have a problem, they stopped me and my son leaving when we had travelled to Tunisia with my EX husband, he was with his brother and we were going to get some shopping, they would not let us through until I telephoned his father and he came to the departure gate and said it was ok for us to go through. Last year me and my son went alone, they still asked me where is his father? I said in London, he looked at us both and just stamped the passports!! :mad:

Sorry TMD, must have got you mixed up with someone else!! Thanks for clearing it up and having the right info posted. :D

coolbananazz

After a wonderful yoga session the answer has come ..... I'm not going to let fear rule my actions ..... But I will get a letter for a smooth departure

Black Mamba

The things is ladies, these rules are set to protect fathers' rights also, some of them had their kids kidnapped before and seeing as Tunisia isn't a powerful country they couldn't do anything, so yeah new rules to protect Tunisian citizen.

My uncle was married to a Swiss woman, she kidnapped their baby( he was a year old) and went back to Switzerland, he couldn't do anything and the authorities here told him the same thing.
2 years ago he saw his son for the first time,needless to say the boy discovered that his dad wasn't a monster and Tunisian people were not animals.:rolleyes:

And now he comes every year during summer to stay with his dad's family( the dad lives in Switzerland too and married to another Swiss woman who loves him to bits).

There can be bad mums you know?!as well as bad fathers :)

magz

Hi magz doesnt make any difference my son holds a British passport and we were still stopped!!! British Embassy will not help as they are on Tunisian soil therefore Tunisian!!!!:mad: I don't like it but have to abide by the rules, so from now on I will get the said letter!!!!

I know what you are saying , what I was pointing out was if the children are not Tunsian nationals and do not hold a Tunsian Passport then the British Embassy can help as they are not Tunsian Nationals yes you can be stopped and questioned but they do this with lots of people to question them but they can only do something if the child is a Tunsian National...all mothers have to produce a letter from the father to leave if the child holds a Tunsian Nationality and a British nationality...Many people are questioned at the passport control who dont have children even men with british surnames who look Tunsian they are very strict with all people even students going in and out its procedure......

If mothers who live here take a Tunsian passport the British Embassy cannot help as they are classed under the Tunisian authority but if she doesn't take nationality the Embassy can help same as for the child...but most people get Dual Nationality for the children...that's why they question mothers.at the airport to check......

Trulymadlydeeply

My son has a British passport we were not allowed through passport control until his Tunisian father came to the gate to say that he allowed us to!! When on Tunisian soil your children are classed as Tunisian whether or not they have "claimed" Tunisian Nationality.

mand3366

I know what you are saying , what I was pointing out was if the children are not Tunsian nationals and do not hold a Tunsian Passport then the British Embassy can help as they are not Tunsian Nationals yes you can be stopped and questioned but they do this with lots of people to question them but they can only do something if the child is a Tunsian National...all mothers have to produce a letter from the father to leave if the child holds a Tunsian Nationality and a British nationality...Many people are questioned at the passport control who dont have children even men with british surnames who look Tunsian they are very strict with all people even students going in and out its procedure......

If mothers who live here take a Tunsian passport the British Embassy cannot help as they are classed under the Tunisian authority but if she doesn't take nationality the Embassy can help same as for the child...but most people get Dual Nationality for the children...that's why they question mothers.at the airport to check......

Magz,

Am sorry to disagree with you but from a legal point of view, if a child has a Tunisian Father, regardless of whether they have claimed Tunisian nationality or not, when on Tunisian soil they ARE Tunisian and treated as such. The Embassy cannot and WILL not get involved, this is made quite clear on their website.

Should anyone want clarification of this then contact `REUNITE` as they are experts in child abduction.

http://www.reunite.org/

A lady called `Mandy` did post on here a while back telling her story, as her children were kept by their Father in Tunisia, but cannot find the thread!!!

Am actually sitting here now with tears streaming down my face reading some of the stories on the forum. As a Mother I cannot comprehend what those poor women (and some men) must be feeling being parted from their own children.

M x

Black Mamba

Magz,

Am sorry to disagree with you but from a legal point of view, if a child has a Tunisian Father, regardless of whether they have claimed Tunisian nationality or not, when on Tunisian soil they ARE Tunisian and treated as such. The Embassy cannot and WILL not get involved, this is made quite clear on their website.

Should anyone want clarification of this then contact `REUNITE` as they are experts in child abduction.

http://www.reunite.org/

A lady called `Mandy` did post on here a while back telling her story, as her children were kept by their Father in Tunisia, but cannot find the thread!!!

Am actually sitting here now with tears streaming down my face reading some of the stories on the forum. As a Mother I cannot comprehend what those poor women (and some men) must be feeling being parted from their own children.

M x

What about the opposite?:mad:

Essem

Staff member
After a wonderful yoga session the answer has come ..... I'm not going to let fear rule my actions ..... But I will get a letter for a smooth departure

Hi coolbananazz, welcome to the forum and hope everything works out for you on your forthcoming holiday.

mand3366

What about the opposite?:mad:

BM, what do you mean?

As I said both Mothers and Fathers should be allowed equal rights to see their child. I wasnt for one moment saying that residency should automatically go to the Mother and it is more and more common now in the UK for shared parental responsibility to be given to the parents.

Have just had a thought regarding Tunisan fathers having access to their child/ren but need to research it before posting!!

Of course there are bad Mothers and bad Fathers, irrespective of gender it is the best interests of the child that must take precedent and this sometimes is not the case involving foreign marriages/relationships.

M x

Tunisianbelle

they cant just look at the kids and see they dont look 'english' and assume they're tunisian. also they cant look and see they have an arabic name...their father could be from any arabic country. so the way i'm seeing it is that they won't have the right to even ask unless the kid has a tunisian passport...

When you fill out the application for a passport, you must provide the birth certificate for the child, as well as answer certain questions. Those answers/information (along with addition information that may come up later such as information to flag a certain passport for a reason) is stored on the bar code of the passport.

Anytime any of us go through passport control and our passport is swiped, those passport control officers have access to that information that tell who we our, our parents, their passport # (or SS# for the US) etc.

Not all passport control officers will give a woman a hard time, but some will play strictly by the book - and if you ("you" as in anyone) get one who plays by the book, you will NEED to have the letter or risk being separated from your child, and not being able to leave the country (at least until things are cleared).