Letter from Father - now needing a stamp!!!

Cathibou

My son is British was born in England and holds a British passport, he is not a Tunisian National!! He has never been to Tunisia for more than 2 weeks at a time he doesnt speak the language, has been educated here in the Uk how does that make it right for him to be told he has to stay in Tunisia, his so called father doesnt even live their!!!!:mad::mad: :mad:
No matter what we think or feel about their laws, what is, is and we have to accept it. We must follow protocol or deal with the consequences.

Justjulz

Banned
Benali, those pics made me feel really weepy! She looks around the same age as my youngest (and has the same pyjama's lol). It looks like she has really been through the mill bless her.
The transformation looks really good & I wish her all my love and best wishes.
Stupid blooming officials at the airport. I'm going to be going through all this in August as my bubba is due next month and will be needing Tunisian & Uk passport etc etc. Dreading it!!!

Scoobydoo

My son is British was born in England and holds a British passport, he is not a Tunisian National!! He has never been to Tunisia for more than 2 weeks at a time he doesnt speak the language, has been educated here in the Uk how does that make it right for him to be told he has to stay in Tunisia, his so called father doesnt even live their!!!!:mad::mad: :mad:
Its not right truly not at all...and frankly its a disgrace. I am almost positive that the father wouldnt need the mothers permission to leave the country with their child....but this is the sexist arrogance that is rife in this country.

As far as my child being considered a tunisian national, well they can go whistle- adhering to the law....dont recognise this law im afraid - the same way they dont have the respect to recognise our laws. If it has a BRITISH PASSPORT was born in the UK myself and the rest of the world consider them a British national (notice how no one else has the disrespect to think that their country takes precedence)....and no one can make me get them a tunisian passport, which incidently doesnt bring any value to their lives whatsoever...and infact if they had a tunisian passport as their sole one this would be an incredible hinderance.
This is a topic that really makes me angry and i will never bow down to this. If it were also the case for the men then fair enough....but oh look it isnt...the man is favoured in every instance...:mad:

bobby g

Its not right truly not at all...and frankly its a disgrace. I am almost positive that the father wouldnt need the mothers permission to leave the country with their child....but this is the sexist arrogance that is rife in this country.

As far as my child being considered a tunisian national, well they can go whistle- adhering to the law....dont recognise this law im afraid - the same way they dont have the respect to recognise our laws. If it has a BRITISH PASSPORT was born in the UK myself and the rest of the world consider them a British national (notice how no one else has the disrespect to think that their country takes precedence)....and no one can make me get them a tunisian passport, which incidently doesnt bring any value to their lives whatsoever...and infact if they had a tunisian passport as their sole one this would be an incredible hinderance.
This is a topic that really makes me angry and i will never bow down to this. If it were also the case for the men then fair enough....but oh look it isnt...the man is favoured in every instance...:mad:
Good point, well made. I agree 100%. If this is indeed a fact of law children needing fathers consent to travel WITH their mother...then maybe its time this law was looked at with a few to updating it more in keeping with todays needs. I think mothers who leave with their children with a view of not returning to my mind she must have a good reason to think that is best for her children.

bobby g

Benali, have just seen photos of your daughter, what an amazing result.:) I hope she continues with her speedy recovery. Wish her all the best for a bright future ahead of her.:)

benali123

Hi everyone
Thank you for your kind messages for Katie. Katie is now 11, nearly 12, and was diagnosed with curvature of her spine about a year old. She had treatment in a pot brace as a toddler but her scoliosis continued to progress. Following her surgery on 19 January she has done amazingly well. We are extremley proud of her. She was in a lot of pain before, couldnt bathe or dress herself. She couldnt even sit on the floor to play with her brothers, which is what she most looked forward to doing! It has been a long road for us. It still isnt over, she will need regular check ups because she will soon be going through puberty, which is the biggest growth spurt! We hope "Enshallah" that she will now be ok. Thanks again for all your kind messages, Claire xx

benali123

Going back to the letters.... I am just amazed that I have got this far with a letter WITHOUT a stamp!!!!

Tunisianbelle

If it has a BRITISH PASSPORT was born in the UK myself and the rest of the world consider them a British national (notice how no one else has the disrespect to think that their country takes precedence)....and no one can make me get them a tunisian passport
My youngest two (and soon to be third child) were born in Tunisia and had Tunisian passports. Yet the US considers them Americans and insists they enter and exit on a US passport.

If a child of a UK national was born in Tunisia, the UK would still consider them UK nationals and also insist that they enter and exit on a UK passport.

It works both ways. This passport situation is not unique to any country - it exists worldwide.

Tunisianbelle

I think mothers who leave with their children with a view of not returning to my mind she must have a good reason to think that is best for her children.
Not necessarily. I have known women who left their husbands for a variety of reasons, including just growing apart and leaving him for another man. Those women have left with their kids to never let the father see them again. Women are not always "right" or within "reason" just because they are the mothers. There ARE bad mothers out there, and there are plenty of men who make better parents.

Tunisianbelle

Not necessarily. I have known women who left their husbands for a variety of reasons, including just growing apart and leaving him for another man. Those women have left with their kids to never let the father see them again. Women are not always "right" or within "reason" just because they are the mothers. There ARE bad mothers out there, and there are plenty of men who make better parents.
Actually this is why the US is looking at and trying to revise it's rules about taking a child out of country. And, if you have been watching any American news at all lately, it is mainly the foreign mothers who take the children away from the American dad and move back to their country, never letting the dads see their children again. This is why Tunisia has put this law into place - it happened many times in the past where a Tunisian man would marry with a foreign woman and she would kidnap the children and leave. After many cases of this happening, they put the law into effect.

crazypink

Cud not agree more Belle. Well sed.
x x x x x x x

Trulymadlydeeply

Actually this is why the US is looking at and trying to revise it's rules about taking a child out of country. And, if you have been watching any American news at all lately, it is mainly the foreign mothers who take the children away from the American dad and move back to their country, never letting the dads see their children again. This is why Tunisia has put this law into place - it happened many times in the past where a Tunisian man would marry with a foreign woman and she would kidnap the children and leave. After many cases of this happening, they put the law into effect.
Are you sure about that??? I think before you defend Tunisia all the time, you need to put yourself in others shoes for a while and think "there but for the grace of God go I"

beenthere

my children only have US passports, my husbands a citizen as well, and i still need the letter. its not just for tunisians, i guess. does the father need a note from the mother? it is needed to obtain a passport in the US, and i think maybe for traveling as well now. this is what the man at the passport office told me anyway.

beenthere

he does have claim to tunisian citizenship. he has 'duel'. but for him to claim it, you must register him in tunisia and get a tunisian birth cert. and than a passport. i'm wondering why he was told he had to stay in tunisia?

Trulymadlydeeply

he does have claim to tunisian citizenship. he has 'duel'. but for him to claim it, you must register him in tunisia and get a tunisian passport. i'm wondering why he was told he had to stay in tunisia?
I do not want a Tunisian passport for my son, although the officials at the airport through their smiles at me, and telling my ex husband in Arabic, they seem to think he should have one :mad:

When I married my now ex, he wanted us to live in Tunisia, it wasnt an option at the time so he came here, eventually....(visa problems!!!) If he has decided to make his life here, even now we are divorced, how is it right that if he decided one day (while our son is still a minor) to go home, he can take our son and I would have no rights to get him back?????

Unless he drugged my son there is no way he would get him out of the UK, I have had to ensure this.

Officials wouldnt let me and my son through passport control as I didnt have "the letter" luckily he was in the airport and came and said it was ok for us to go through!!!!

bobby g

I take on board what you say, but I can't help but think you see Tunisia through rose tinted glasses, you are fortunate to have a happy life with a husband who loves you. Some are less fortunate, Why should they not be able to leave with their children if that is their wish. the father can always apply through the courts for access if he wished.
I except men make perfectly good lone parents. This was the case for my brother when his wife left him with their 18month old son while she went to "find herself". It was a struggle for him but he managed, only for her to claim him back 1 year later:mad: I'm not sure the benefits of having a Tunisian passport bring you. Tunisia seems to worry when their citizens wish to apply for visas to foreign countries if they will come back once they leave, I can't think this is the case the grass is'nt always greener on the other side.

ROULLA

Hi Everyone hope that you are all in good health!
In my opinion and it is MY opinion , i think that the men in Tunisia have more priority over everything..I don't think that women have equal rights like the men...Even if you had a house and you passed away say, the house that you leave 50/50 to you son and daughter are not split into equal parts..Boy gets 2/3rds whilst daughter gets 1/3rd..It really is not fair at all...I have never been asked for my kids to have a Greek passport whislt going to Cyprus..

Tunisianbelle

Are you sure about that??? I think before you defend Tunisia all the time, you need to put yourself in others shoes for a while and think "there but for the grace of God go I"
I am watching the news, so yeah, I'm sure.

I do not defend Tunisia on everything. But the law is the law and no amount of arguing or complaining about it is going to make it different unless a new legislation is passed.

Tunisianbelle

I take on board what you say, but I can't help but think you see Tunisia through rose tinted glasses, you are fortunate to have a happy life with a husband who loves you. Some are less fortunate, Why should they not be able to leave with their children if that is their wish. the father can always apply through the courts for access if he wished.
I except men make perfectly good lone parents. This was the case for my brother when his wife left him with their 18month old son while she went to "find herself". It was a struggle for him but he managed, only for her to claim him back 1 year later:mad: I'm not sure the benefits of having a Tunisian passport bring you. Tunisia seems to worry when their citizens wish to apply for visas to foreign countries if they will come back once they leave, I can't think this is the case the grass is'nt always greener on the other side.
Actually, I do not see through rose colored glasses - wish I did.

The stories I mentioned about bad mothers and women taking their kids from the father actually have nothing to do with Tunisia, but with America (although I have seen some of that here too).

Tunisianbelle

Even if you had a house and you passed away say, the house that you leave 50/50 to you son and daughter are not split into equal parts..Boy gets 2/3rds whilst daughter gets 1/3rd..It really is not fair at all
This has been discussed in different threads. It is Islamic law. Under Islam, a man has more responsibilities. When a parent passes away, it is the son who must care for and provide for the daughter. The son must pay all financial dues (house, water, electricity, clothing, entertainments, etc). The daughter is not obligated to work at all, and when she marries, it is her husband who will then take over all responsibilities of her upkeep. All this money the son would need to care for everything comes from his inheritance and any job he has.

If a women works, the money is strictly hers to do what she wants with it. She is under no obligation whatsoever to spend it on helping the family or paying for the household necessities. She could spend every last cent on candy, make-up, clothes for herself, coffee - whatever.