Letter from Father - now needing a stamp!!!

ROULLA

Hi Suka thankyou for your reply but if you go back on this thread you will see that someone has put that if you have a child with a Tunisian then the child/ren are Tunisian, irrelevant as to what the mother is...That to me sounds ignorant, don't you think so ?

woudlg

As I understand it, it's not so much that Tunisian authorities deny the dual nationality per se, but that the Tunisian nationality takes precedence over any other while the person is on Tunisian soil.

S

suka

Roulla
that is a fact as I have just stated.....if the child is here it is Tunisian and is seen to be and treated as one..even if the mother is from usa,uk,or thailand! but if it is on the soil of its mothers country it is seen as a national of there,it is for the simplicity of Law when a child has dual nationality.That will be the case anywhere in the world where a mixed marriage and dual nationality is involved.....whether that be china and uk,uganda and france....wherever....it is NOT a slight against the mother it is for the potection of the child,just the same as in Greece your children are seen as Greek it is not a slight against their Father......these are LAWS they are not personal tthey are directives for citizens of the country and for a child who has dual nationality that means him......if he is on that specific countries soil whether visiting or living there......
there is a saying that we brits are very good at spouting but not so good at practising....WHEN IN ROME......

Tunisianbelle

someone mentioned why have a child with a Tunisian?????? Because I was bloody married to one!!!!
It was me that mentioned that and I did so because the majority of people on this thread seem to think that just because they feel the law is unfair and don't understand it, it shouldn't apply to them.

My main point in saying what I said was that before you think about marriage or having kids with someone from a different country, people need to think about EVERYTHING beforehand. Look into all issues that could possibly relate to you and/or and potential kids a head of time, discuss the issues and then decide if it is something you are comfortable living with. There is no use in arguing about fairness of a law after the fact.

I'm not saying that anyone here did this, but I think far too many women enter into a mixed marriage blinded by love and do not think about all the possibilities of things that could happen in the future. The hard issues never get discussed or settled early on and that is one of the reasons why statistically mixed marriages have a higher failure rate.

Tunisianbelle

Oh and Cuba is great, My passport allows me to travel where I want to, and so does my sons,my EX's doesnt allow him to go anywhere much without having to obtain visas!!
That's great. I'm happy that you got to go and that you enjoyed yourself. If you have any pictures I'd love to see them :)

Tunisianbelle

i will not exept is someone telling me that my kids are only Tunisian..My kids are half Greek and half Tunisian, no matter what anyone says.
No one is saying your kids are only Tunisian. Your children are half Tunisian, and half Greek.

Tunisianbelle

Hi Suka thankyou for your reply but if you go back on this thread you will see that someone has put that if you have a child with a Tunisian then the child/ren are Tunisian, irrelevant as to what the mother is...That to me sounds ignorant, don't you think so ?
You must have misunderstood.

When a child has dual nationality, in your case Greek and Tunisian, they are considered dual nationals. When you travel anywhere in the world, the child will have protection from both countries. However, when the child is in Greece, Greek law will consider the child to be only Greek, and when in Tunisia, Tunisian law will consider them to be only Tunisian.

Tunisianbelle

As I understand it, it's not so much that Tunisian authorities deny the dual nationality per se, but that the Tunisian nationality takes precedence over any other while the person is on Tunisian soil.
Yes. Just as the UK nationality takes precedence on UK soil, US nationality takes precedence on US soil, etc.

beenthere

so the case of divorce, while the family is living in tunisia, is it possibile to get court permission to take the kids out of the country? afterall both sides should have rights. what i mean is do you still need the paper? or can the court over rule the father?

Tunisianbelle

so the case of divorce, while the family is living in tunisia, is it possibile to get court permission to take the kids out of the country? afterall both sides should have rights. what i mean is do you still need the paper? or can the court over rule the father?
You would still need permission to take the child(ren) out of the country as you have to allow the other parent their visitation. You can petition the court for permission to take the child to another country, but they would want evidence that you would not keep the child from the father permanently and would most likely ask that you and the father try to come to an agreement between yourselves first. Same thing as US law, where you would need permission to take the child across state lines or to another country.

Justjulz

Banned
I think the thread has gone quite heated here.
I do find it terrible that a child born & residing in UK who has a Tunisian father has to get permission to go back HOME after a holiday. The law should be revised I guess. In a way I can understand it but surely if the child LIVES in the UK then there shouldn't be an issue on getting home again if he/she is with either parent. If it was the other way round and the child was living in Tunisia then yes, it would be fair to have a letter from father to allow it.
At the end of the day, no matter what country it is, the law is the law and it must be abided by. Whether we agree or not is quite irrelevant!!! I don't like that particular part of Tunisian law but hey that's life and at least I know what the potential problems would be should they arise.
Many countries aren't as liberal as ours. We have quite a good judicial system here in the UK and is changing and updating all the time. It's just a shame that other countries are still stuck in the ages a little bit!!

katT1

Hi everyone - hope all are well.
I was stopped many years ago at passport control in Tunis with the 3 children. Apparently I had filled out the small form wrongly, when I corrected it the guy then asked me for the letter from my husband (who by the way was already in the UK) giving me permission to take the kids out of Tunisia. It was mid-August and boiling hot - I just lost it! Yelled at the guy to look at my and the kids passports to see how many times we had been to Tunisia. All the time my voice was getting louder, a huge queue of Brits was forming and looking rather curiously at us. The guy gave in - get rid of this mad englishwoman as quickly as possible. Don't know if you would get away with this now!!

ROULLA

Hi Kat hope that you and your family are all in good health! And there's me thinking that i was the only mad one on this forum....They felt so embarrassed when i screamed Tunis airport down, but hey you know the song YOU GOT TO STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS..

Mezoo

VIP Member
Other countries do all they can to protect against child kidnappings by parents (especially of different nationalities) as well. I know that when I leave the US, they also ask me for a permission letter from my husband. So the letter of permission is becoming more relevant.

The rules of each country is basically to try to keep the kids in THAT country as they are considered nationals of that country and therefore afforded protection from that country.
Never heard or seen that, though i have no kids that travel out with me.
I have been asked for our visas for the destination where we are headed before. Can you provide relevant law ? :cool: me thinks this is airline thinking and that varies by company.

not intended as a legal reference

Mezoo

VIP Member
Sorry you had this problem Claire but ..... there is loads already written about this on the site and In my expeience going back to 1997 I have always had to have a letter signed by beledere or soicitor if resident in the uk when travelling on my own with my children, especially if you leave via Tunis, you may be lucky from Monastir with all the tourists travelling through but to be honest it isn't worth the hassel to try to avoid getting it. It may seem unfair, it may seem discrimatory but thats how it is.
my experience with this, has been since 1987, when i learned about it, though for a fact it is enforced sporadically,,,note the posts here from people who have not been asked for these documents when leaving. question is how do determine sporadic in Tunisia /ha :D ?

Tunisianbelle

Never heard or seen that, though i have no kids that travel out with me.
I have been asked for our visas for the destination where we are headed before. Can you provide relevant law ? :cool: me thinks this is airline thinking and that varies by company.

not intended as a legal reference
Like I said in a previous post, it is not standardized yet. As of right now, it is up to regulations within individual airlines and airports in the US to ask permission letters. However, especially on international flights, it is becoming a lot more common and there is a move to make this a standardized procedure across the board.

Tunisianbelle

my experience with this, has been since 1987, when i learned about it, though for a fact it is enforced sporadically,,,note the posts here from people who have not been asked for these documents when leaving. question is how do determine sporadic in Tunisia /ha :D ?
Yes, it does seem sporadic. But what happens if someone fails to get the letter? They take their chances. There are (recent) cases of people being denied exit from the country because they do not have this note. They have had to reschedule flights and change plans until they were able to get the permission.

Essem

Staff member
I think you have to abide by the law of the land. Best to get the relevant docs - just in case.

toonssia

Thanks Tunisianbelle for all the precious info you're giving
had been a real plaesure to read you.
been out of here for a long while but I can see things never change lol complaining about the law is like complaining about the weather so if you dont like it just go elsewhere!
Benali glad your daughter is getting better wish her all the best for the future inshAllah lebess
Roulla hope your doing well greetings to all your family.

Esselem Aleykom

MellieC

So just wondering, what rights do mothers of Tunisian children have, if they are not Tunisian themselves?:confused:
I think there is some info on this on the British embassy website, fathers have "parental rights". A girl I met (British) back in 1996 became pregnant by her fiancé, but they split up, she has never been back to Tunisia for the fear that he would keep the child, for a time she was even wary about me ~ would I say something ~ would he find her in Britain~ come and take the child? if he had of done she had no recourse to go to Tunisia and bring her daughter back, there is no agreement about children between Britain and Tunisia. I made a comment on another thread where I suggested that children remained in their home country as there was a problem between the American mother and Tunisian father, this was my reason for that comment. I am trying to think of the name of the film starring Alfred Molina and Sally field "Not without my daughter" ( I had to go look on a film page) it is a true life story, where an American born child to an Iranian father is taken to Iran, and the mother cannot get her back and has to kidnap her! I know this is a bit extreme, for this thread, but it shows why the letter of fathers permission and the stamp are required.:cool: