Letter from Father - now needing a stamp!!!

MellieC

hmm! all seems a bit one sided if you ask me, thats on the blokes side. I think most young children given the choice would choose Mum, as most cases, mum is the primary carer. Guess that does'nt count for much tho...
its islamic ~ mum is not the primary carer, dad is!

MellieC

My son is British was born in England and holds a British passport, he is not a Tunisian National!! He has never been to Tunisia for more than 2 weeks at a time he doesnt speak the language, has been educated here in the Uk how does that make it right for him to be told he has to stay in Tunisia, his so called father doesnt even live their!!!!:mad::mad: :mad:
Truly, your situation may be slightly different? have a look at the post I made a few mins ago regarding the film "not without my daughter" the child was born in america, born to an american mother and iranian father, he was in america ~ a doctor, met and married an american but when he returned to iran he took the child, who had an american passport, I am not sure if he had become an american citizen, or what passport he was using. Its not just in Tunisia, or other islamic countries. there are other countries where this situation could arise

MellieC

Hi everyone
Thank you for your kind messages for Katie. Katie is now 11, nearly 12, and was diagnosed with curvature of her spine about a year old. She had treatment in a pot brace as a toddler but her scoliosis continued to progress. Following her surgery on 19 January she has done amazingly well. We are extremley proud of her. She was in a lot of pain before, couldnt bathe or dress herself. She couldnt even sit on the floor to play with her brothers, which is what she most looked forward to doing! It has been a long road for us. It still isnt over, she will need regular check ups because she will soon be going through puberty, which is the biggest growth spurt! We hope "Enshallah" that she will now be ok. Thanks again for all your kind messages, Claire xx
Claire, the pics show a wonderful transforamtion, and I hope the op transforms her life, my cousins son had the same condition, he didn't need an op, but did wear a body brace for 10 years which corrected the spine, his life was so different afterwards I hope that Katie goes from strength to strength

MellieC

No matter what we think or feel about their laws, what is, is and we have to accept it. We must follow protocol or deal with the consequences.
thats the point isn't it, we may not like, or may wish to "ignore" the laws of another country but we either follow protocol or accept the consequences.
The embassy would not intervene, they have no jurisdiction to do so.

MellieC

I do not want a Tunisian passport for my son, although the officials at the airport through their smiles at me, and telling my ex husband in Arabic, they seem to think he should have one :mad:

When I married my now ex, he wanted us to live in Tunisia, it wasnt an option at the time so he came here, eventually....(visa problems!!!) If he has decided to make his life here, even now we are divorced, how is it right that if he decided one day (while our son is still a minor) to go home, he can take our son and I would have no rights to get him back?????

Unless he drugged my son there is no way he would get him out of the UK, I have had to ensure this.

Officials wouldnt let me and my son through passport control as I didnt have "the letter" luckily he was in the airport and came and said it was ok for us to go through!!!!
Its "right" because your ex is a tunisian national, and once in tunisia he is under tunisian law (as we all are when we are there) and that law will "protect" your son as the child of a tunisian national, your son will be seen as a tunisian national. as far as I know, there is still no recipriocal agreement between britain and tunisia for the return of children.

MellieC

I truly think you are all missing the point I am trying to make. I am not saying that Tunisia is 100% right in everything, because there are many things I disagree with. But I refuse to engage in a futile argument of saying this is fair or unfair when it has absolutely no bearing. Whether you like it or hate it, the law is the law and you must abide by it. End of story. You expect others to obey the law when you go to their coutry, so you should obey the law when you are here.

Like I said, Tunisia is not the only one who has the passport law. Who said that mixed children born in Tunisia want the nationality of the other country? Yet no one seems to make a fuss about them having that second passport "because it opens more doors". Having a Tunisian passport may not be as freeing as a UK or US passport, but it doesn't close any doors either. And it actually does allow for them to visit some countries that the US and/or UK are in arguments with. I for one would love to be able to visit Cuba because the country and history there fascinate me. Unfortunately, US citizens are prohibited from visiting unless they have family or a specific job there and they must first obtain a special license to do so. There are other countries that have beautiful, historical and/or interesting places that I would love to visit, but on a US passport am unable. Having a Tunisian passport would open up the WHOLE world.

I do wonder how many of you would be this resistant to your child having a second passport from a country such as the US, Canada, or within the EU?

If you don't want your children to be considered Tunisian, then why on earth did you get married with and/or have children with a Tunisian? Why deny them one half of their heritage? When it comes to having children, and/or being in a mixed marriage, there are MANY things you must think about, many situations you need to consider, and many things you and your partner must come to an agreement on.
Under attack Tb? you are quite right on the points of law, I think the problem for Brits is that we see so many people come into the UK and flout our laws and "its ok" and we travel quite freely to pretty much any part of the world we expect that right for our children, HOWEVER, as you rightly say, the law is the law even when we don't like it! when your child has a dual nationality and the child is in one of the countries of thier duality, the laws of THAT country take precedence, end of, discussion/argument/hysterical hissy fit won't change a thing, and the embassy of your nationality can't help you.
There are many things that people don't seem to realise or even think of when they marry foreigners, (not just Tunisians) this isn't just a "Tunisian thing":cool:

MellieC

I am British my children are British born to a British father I live in Tunisia and I HAD TO PRODUCE A LETTER OF AUTHORISATION FOR ME TO BRING MY CHILDREN TO LIVE IN TUNISIA!
Hi Suka, my ex husband had no contact with our children when they were young, (same as you all brits) and our children were on MY PASSPORT, this prevented my ex from taking the children on holiday outside of the UK even, but I was free to take them anywhere in the world, so in effect I could have prevented my ex from seeing his children.

only after they reached the age of 16 and I was renewing my passport did my children have their own, but had to state that they were previously on my passport. something that just came to my mind, I changed my name by deed poll, when i split with my ex, I also had anonymous Council tax registration so that I couldn't be found by him, and when i applied for my passport, even though I had all the legal papers of deed poll etc I had to have a letter from my mother to say i was who i said i was LOL I later changed my name back by deed poll to my birth name, as a letter that was intended for me, got sent to my ex in error and my new identity was broken and I changed my passport again! I have 3 passports here all definitely me from the photo's and all 3 are in different names, only the Date of birth is the same! :cool:

Soltef

Hi Suka, my ex husband had no contact with our children when they were young, (same as you all brits) and our children were on MY PASSPORT, this prevented my ex from taking the children on holiday outside of the UK even, but I was free to take them anywhere in the world, so in effect I could have prevented my ex from seeing his children.

only after they reached the age of 16 and I was renewing my passport did my children have their own, but had to state that they were previously on my passport. something that just came to my mind, I changed my name by deed poll, when i split with my ex, I also had anonymous Council tax registration so that I couldn't be found by him, and when i applied for my passport, even though I had all the legal papers of deed poll etc I had to have a letter from my mother to say i was who i said i was LOL I later changed my name back by deed poll to my birth name, as a letter that was intended for me, got sent to my ex in error and my new identity was broken and I changed my passport again! I have 3 passports here all definitely me from the photo's and all 3 are in different names, only the Date of birth is the same! :cool:
Isn't it 'funny' how the ex husbands/partners who don't want to (deliberately) contribute (financially) to their children's upbringing suddenly rear their (ugly?),controlling heads when the mothers want to move house/country or change name/status!We women still suffer pschologically to some degree under their continuing control.If a person is determined to track you they will try every means,so changing/hiding names helps to a certain degree.In my case,I am 'living' right next to my ex,if you get my point!

aliyah

My son is British was born in England and holds a British passport, he is not a Tunisian National!! He has never been to Tunisia for more than 2 weeks at a time he doesnt speak the language, has been educated here in the Uk how does that make it right for him to be told he has to stay in Tunisia, his so called father doesnt even live their!!!!:mad::mad: :mad:
When one of the parents is Tunisian, a child is considered Tunisian regardless of the child’s place of birth or whether the child had acquired the nationality of another country. Sorry.....I feel the same way you do but this seems to be the law.

MellieC

You are wrong here. In Islam, the mother IS the primary care giver of the children.
maybe i should have phrased it that dad has the parental rights, though this is changing as women now have more rights.

generally mum is the primary care giver whatever country you are in/from. it was a typo on my part sorry for confusion

MellieC

nela said:
Even whe I am not married to his father?
your child is still his child also, therefore "half" tunisian, I don't know how extreme it could be to prove parentage, if the fathers name is on the birth certificate thats the end of it, but if a child is registered as father unknown, maybe blood tests/dna would be taken to determine parentage ~ maybe people could be "held" as in unable to leave a country until parentage is settled? these are just guesses I don't know the answer, but can tell you i wasn't married to my ex! and my friend whom i mentioned earlier did not have her Tunisian fiancés name on the birth cert of their child, but was worried about him coming and getting the child!

MellieC

Isn't it 'funny' how the ex husbands/partners who don't want to (deliberately) contribute (financially) to their children's upbringing suddenly rear their (ugly?),controlling heads when the mothers want to move house/country or change name/status!We women still suffer pschologically to some degree under their continuing control.If a person is determined to track you they will try every means,so changing/hiding names helps to a certain degree.In my case,I am 'living' right next to my ex,if you get my point!
i get your point LoL, my kids do now have contact with their dad, hes visiting today funnily enough to meet his grandson! he likes to make a point of STILL asking what I am up to ~ I couldn't care less what he does LoL he's had endless girlfriends and even a wife, but all have fell by the wayside and each does just one thing that makes him say "Mel wouldn't do that" and out the door they go LoL the current ones on thin ice LoL never know what you've got til its gone huh? ROTFL :cool:

debbie888

Now im totally confused, so if a child is born in the uk and has a uk passport, if mother and father stay in the uk but for some reason father stays longer in Tunisia, then i would have to get a letter from hubby confirming i can take baby out of country?

Mezoo

VIP Member
Now im totally confused, so if a child is born in the uk and has a uk passport, if mother and father stay in the uk but for some reason father stays longer in Tunisia, then i would have to get a letter from hubby confirming i can take baby out of country?

1. understood
"so if a child is born in the uk and has a uk passport,

2. understood
if mother and father stay in the uk"

3. not understood
"but for some reason father stays longer in Tunisia,"

4. understood
then i would have to get a letter from hubby confirming i can take baby out of country?

??? in 3. longer "than what" ??

debbie888

Sorry i meant if we all went to Tunisia on holiday but me and baby were going for a week but hubby was staying for 3 weeks. Hope that makes sense

Casper

My husband is Tunisian and i'm British. We have a son together who was born in UK.
If we both visit Tunisia and hubby stays longer, leaving me and baby to travel back to UK I must have a letter stamped and signed by hubby allowing baby to return home without him!!!! Yes it's sad but it's true and it's the law
xx

MellieC

Casper has answered your query perfectly, as she is in that exact situation. the reasoning is that although the child is born in the UK, and holds a UK passport, they are entitled to a Tunisian passport as they have dual nationality ~ the father being Tunisian, and when in Tunisia the Law of Tunisia is prevalent. (This applies to other countries also, not just Tunisia):cool:

MellieC

nela said:
ok I did understand everything..so just one question...if I marry in this orfi marriage and the child is conceived and my husband does have another wife is my child considered as his child? Maybe then I can take the child out of country..jeejj..problem solved then
LOL Orfi marriages all round then LOL:cool:

DebbieZebbes

Sorry i meant if we all went to Tunisia on holiday but me and baby were going for a week but hubby was staying for 3 weeks. Hope that makes sense
My family takes different holiday durations too.
My husband has travelled to Tunisia on his Tunisian passport with our 2 year old daughter on her British passport (she does not have a Tunisian passport) ahead of me and has not been challenged/questioned at Manchester Airport.
I have returned to the Uk with her ahead of him and not been challenged/questioned either. I think it's quite worrying that adults/children passport holders of different countries travel together unchallenged, especially when a child is so young.